• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Greats

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn is the only automatic choice. In a couple of months Sehwag will one again be on his home tracks and everyone will forget his struggles away from home, but he still have to prove his value away from the s/c againts quailty bowling. Sangakkara is a candidate as well and I truely wish that he had kept the gloves as he could have been a legend and possibly on par with Gilchrist as one of the truely ATG's. Cook also have a chance and of course there is Pietersen and Michael Clarke, who by the time thet are finished may well may be.
So:
Dale Steyn

Kevin Pietersen
Virender Sehwag
Michael Clarke
Kumar Sangakkara
Alistair Cook

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1 Dale Steyn
2 Kumar Sangakkara
3 Virender Sehwag
4 James Anderson
5 Michael Clarke

6 Peter Siddle :ph34r:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Steyn is the only automatic choice. In a couple of months Sehwag will one again be on his home tracks and everyone will forget his struggles away from home, but he still have to prove his value away from the s/c againts quailty bowling. Sangakkara is a candidate as well and I truely wish that he had kept the gloves as he could have been a legend and possibly on par with Gilchrist as one of the truely ATG's. Cook also have a chance and of course there is Pietersen and Michael Clarke, who by the time thet are finished may well may be.
So:
Dale Steyn

Kevin Pietersen
Virender Sehwag
Michael Clarke
Kumar Sangakkara
Alistair Cook
AWTA. Only Steyn for me is an indisputable choice.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think Pietersen might end up being a contemporary of Dexter and May, guy with pretty darn good numbers and those who saw him will talk about how special and great he was, but he hasn't really emerged from the pack of other very good batsmen who were around at the same time like he has threatened to at various stages.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP is doomed to being deemed worthy of being dropped, in the minds of fans, for the rest of his career tbh

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Think Pietersen might end up being a contemporary of Dexter and May, guy with pretty darn good numbers and those who saw him will talk about how special and great he was, but he hasn't really emerged from the pack of other very good batsmen who were around at the same time like he has threatened to at various stages.
Yeah and same goes for Clarke I would say, although he may also be remembered as a very fine captain, something which KP cannot quite lay claim to.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's quite interesting that we have three, arguably four batsman (if you include Amla) who are all more or less the same age and played close to the same number of Tests and yet are exceedingly difficult to split despite the fact that there are quite a few clear differences between the four of them.

Last edited:

Jager

International Debutant
The players I think will end up greats:
Sangakkara (after 2000?), Steyn, Ajmal, Clarke, Shakib.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ajmal started his career a bit too late to have time to become an ATG, surely?

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Ajmal started his career a bit too late to have time to become an ATG, surely?
I think Ajmal has a fair chance of becoming an ATG..He won't end his career amongst the highest wicket takers ever,but his impact on the game would give him a good shot.

Also,I think Hussey has to be best batsman of the last 12 years,ahead of sanga,clarke and sehwag.Clarke has always striked me as a very good batsman,but not quite good enough to be an ATG.Kind of like Laxman.The same applies to Sanga and Sehwag.Hussey has racked up great numbers in all 3 forms of the game,and is a killer finisher.Sanga,Clarke and Sehwag or even KP for that matter,have not had the same impact on all 3 formats of the game yet be brilliant finishers at the same time.IMO Hussey is most likely to the one that saves the day,when compared to the others.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Ajmal has a fair chance of becoming an ATG..He won't end his career amongst the highest wicket takers ever,but his impact on the game would give him a good shot.

Also,I think Hussey has to be best batsman of the last 12 years,ahead of sanga,clarke and sehwag.Clarke has always striked me as a very good batsman,but not quite good enough to be an ATG.Kind of like Laxman.The same applies to Sanga and Sehwag.Hussey has racked up great numbers in all 3 forms of the game,and is a killer finisher.Sanga,Clarke and Sehwag or even KP for that matter,have not had the same impact on all 3 formats of the game yet be brilliant finishers at the same time.IMO Hussey is most likely to the one that saves the day,when compared to the others.
It's easier for Hussey to save the day where he bats then it is for Sehwag or Sangakkara.

I don't disagree too much with your thoughts if you do include ODI's and T20 but for me Hussey always has one big grey area - lack of success in World Cups.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's also worthwhile noting that Hussey isn't that far apart from Sanga and Sehwag in terms of dependance on home conditions to succeed.

Honestly, I don't think we can bracket Hussey as significantly better than the others, or indeed as even marginally the best of his contemporaries. His two-year slump is too big a black mark to ignore.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think you should be held to a higher standard if you've come in at your absolute prime and later than the average player as Hussey has. I wouldn't include him in the bracket with the others.