• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

the new zealand dilemma

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah, I was much the same. Even with our school playing in the Waikato first division competition only two or three schools actually had proper grass wickets, everything else was played on artificial wickets. Basically if you weren't good enough to be playing rep cricket you just didn't get a run on a grass wicket very often. I'm not too sure about the rest of the country and school cricket but that in itself is a pretty big problem.
What Waikato school did/do you go to?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also worth noting is the horrific situation in Wellington cricket where outfields cross over to a massive extent. This can end up with the dangerous situation where you're fielding at mid-off in one game, but that also happens to be point in another game. This is at its worst at Ian Galloway and considerably worse in Wellington City than in the outer suburbs.
Over-rated risk of harm. We've had overlapping fields for 50 years, no one's ever been hit. Just yell out "Heads!" and you're right.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Over-rated risk of harm. We've had overlapping fields for 50 years, no one's ever been hit. Just yell out "Heads!" and you're right.
Saw a square leg umpire get cracked on the back of the head with a well timed straight drive a couple of years back.

I also know that at least one decent player (who has a profile on Cricinfo) contracted Tetanus from playing at Ian Galloway (cricket & rugby fields situated on what used to be a rubbish tip)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Am I the only Black Caps supporter here who believes that our time is coming (hopefully soonish)?
I think you are the only one that I know of.

Too many unproven players in our batting line up.

Bowling is inconsistent.

No sudden influx of players is coming into the team to change things (except for Wagner).

I do think we are better than 3 years ago - so progress is happening. But SA in particular is another level above us.

Even though this series uncovered - KVW and Gillespie. We need 2 or 3 more discoveries and at least one of them needs to be world class.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'd say the bowling has been pretty consistent considering they've been given **** all to work with by the batsmen, as usual.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Indeed I am. Though we're not actually awful at setting targets, we're just absolutely dire at chasing these days. So I'm not too biased on that front, if that's what you mean :laugh:

Mike5181

International Captain
I definitely think Kane Williamson and Ross Taylor have the potential to be in the upper echelon of current test match batsmen.

Flem274*

123/5
Need to sort the openers and keep the bowlers fit. 80s - two test standard openers, a good attack, and we are a good team. 1998-2004 - Richardson with Vincent and Sinclair on rotate, with some occasionally fit good bowlers, and we are a good team.

Chances of it happening - look at our historical openers and seamer injury record.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
looking ahead to the west indies tour, the 11 that played in the third test against south africa plus watling,nethula,boult as certainties then the guessing can begin another batsman and bowler/allrounder to make the team up.jesse ryder is the obvious candidate then seeing as how neil wagner is unavailable arnel seems likeley.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Te Aroha. Not exactly a powerhouse for cricket but we were pretty good, much better then what they are now. Could be playing Div 2 or 3 these days I think.
They were in 1B last season, same as us, although we're back in 1A for this season. Yeah they've defo fallen off a bit, the last Hillcrest/Te Aroha face-off was a just a touch one-sided.

The standard of 1st eleven cricket in the Waikato area seems to have dropped quite a bit in general, actually, we've somehow secured a top four finish in 1A this year with a solid but pretty unremarkable team.