• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket injury (shoulder). help/ thoughts.

Merve'sTash

Cricket Spectator
I cant see an obvious place on the site re injuries- maybe better moved from here?

Anyway- if anyone can help/ thougths/ help. Ive a relatively simple shoulder injury specifically the rotator cuff > infraspinatus tendon afaict. I get a very localised sharp 'pull' pain in this tendon just behind the edge of shoulder when I bowl; even a warm-up delivery can put me in great discomfort. Oddly tho if I grit my teeth and bear thru it (getting harder each season/ damn painful 15 mins) it can 'loosen' or 'warm up' or whatever it does & I can s'times do a session of nr normal bowling (nimble pace in-swing) but usually I sit out dispondent and miserable and bored and envious.

Has anyone ever had a 'throwing' type pull injury? (most common type of cricket shoulder prob/ exact same spot as I am suffering in). Or any help- Im at my last ideas really. Tried: heat, strengthening, stretching exercices.. even had a corticosteroid injection. All have done nothing.

Thax MT.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep, got one right now.

I hadn't bowled in years and dropped back down the grades last year, and bowled some gentle left arm stuff. Somehow I managed to injure my shoulder, and it got to the point where I can't throw or bowl anything other than gentle lobs now.

I've had physio on it for months now - it's slowly gotten better but it's kept me from all sorts of training for cricket and for other sports. I was told originally it was bursitis, but it's actually tears in the cuff. Had a cortisone injection which took the edge off it for a few months, but did nothing to fix the underlying rpoblem, obviously.

The test for it will come when I start throwing (people, not cricket balls) at martial arts. If it's no good after all that conservative treatment, I think an op is on the cards.

I have a number of strengthening/ stretching exercises which I do. They do help strengthen the shoulder, but I think the tears themselves have to just heal over time.

Merve'sTash

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for reply- yes I feel very cornered with this.. funniky enough Ive just joined a village team with the ex-england team doctor! I couldnt have been much luckier you'd have thought.. but even so and with his help (I cant pester him/ crix is his time off work not to be faffing with me) I cant see any eliviation. Thing I dont understamd is how if I do bear thru it for a v painful 15mins and then it sunbsides & I do a 'normal' session: how has this been achieved? ie does that mean its not a tear then.. or does that signify that if stretching 1st, then that should effectively mimic my painful 15 mins? as such stretching doesnt do any good.. as Ive said.

Im at a loss to find out what exactly/ specifically is wrong you see so I can think about action.. at the mo i I can only call it infraspinatus pain, and as localised as that seems to me (1cm x 4cm tendon) I cant determine exactly what's up with it. Even had an ultrasound scan on it and no big tear was obvious/ or anything really. Very frustrating.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only way to really tell mate would be an MRI scan. That will tell you whether it's a tear and the extent of it, though what you have described sure sounds like it.

I hope you're back into it, pain free, ASAP.