• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bribery Scandal Emerges

masterblaster

International Captain
My Report for Cricket Web

After the sad match-fixing scandal, Indian Cricket's reputation has been severely damaged once again with new allegations of bribery, which surfaced yesterday evening.

Prolific Maharashtra batsman, Abhijit Kale has been alleged to have offered Rs. 10 Lakhs (US$21,860) to two selectors so that he may be selected in the India 'A' team.

Kale, has flatly denied and dismissed the allegations and has been barred from playing for Maharashtra until his name is cleared. The BCCI President, Jagmohan Dalmyia has refused to comment about the matter at this stage.

The allegations were intitially made by the BCCI's joint secretary, Professor Ratnakar Shetty. Shetty was quoted in saying, "The player had offered to pay money to a couple of selectors for a place in the India A team. I can assure you that stern action will be taken against the player."

Kale later went on television and responded by dismissing these allegations. "I am surprised by these allegations, my record speaks for itself." After scoring 24 FC centuries, Kale certainly had the talent to make the India 'A' and the National India squad without resorting to such drastic measures.

Until he can be cleared of any wrongdoing, Kale will not play for Maharashtra this season, a decision which was taken by the Maharashtra Cricket Association. Kale played one ODI for India in Bangladesh this season, where he scored just 10 runs.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
£13,000 in Real Money ;)

And the story's now been changed to the Full India side rather than just the India 'A' side.

Not nice :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
£13,000 in Real Money ;)

And the story's now been changed to the Full India side rather than just the India 'A' side.

Not nice :(
So I was right - it was a misunderstanding

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
this is nothing
Whilst I agree that it is not match-fixing, bookie info or, er, weather and pitch reports, it is far from nothing. You cannot (or should not be able to) buy favours or selection.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
It is very disappointing when a player with such great talent and potential and a great FC record is mixed up in these allegations. Whether he made the bribe or not, the selectors surely could have recognized him as a player of international quality. This is the sad state of affairs when selection and politics go hand in hand. Only the big families with the political ties will make it to the highest level. An example is the selection of Junaid Zia, Lt. Tauqir Zia's son who was selected for the Pakistan team when there were far superior bowlers in the country. When politics and sport mix (along with the exchange of sickening bribes) cricket is the loser. :(

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Tauqir Zia was desperate for Junaid to play because he has a great chance of taking wickets against a depleted NZ team.

I notice Ganguly said: "This cannot be true, there's no way Kale would have done this"...usually it turns out to be that the nice guy known to many actually has a dodgy past.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen it all before especially here in NZ with Ken Rutherford..he tried to pretend that he could play international cricket while also having a serious gambling & alcoholic problem.
Apparently he was an ace gambler too.

Luckily he managed to get over it, and his record wasn't tainted..these days he's getting on with life working at the sports betting agency 'The TAB'!.

V Reddy

International Debutant
It always existed in Indian Cricket. Poor Abhijit , it came out in open with him as the scapegoat. One more example is Noel David. He was not even a regular in Hyderabad side but he was picked for India in WI when Sachin wanted a medium pacer. Then when he did well for India he was dumped. Here is another one

Selector wanted money from me : Vanka Pratap