• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket convert...

pete66

Cricket Spectator
Hi
I only really started getting interested in cricket about a year ago, but am really enjoying my new 'discovery' so far. Most of what I've watched so far has been highlights of England games, the world cup etc (don't have Sky Sports), and have picked up DVDs of 2005/2009/2011 Ashes series etc, and quite a few copies of The Wisden Cricketer magazine
I would like to try and follow the English county championship this year an,d as I'm from Southampton and now live in Andover, I'll be following Hampshire. I will be working in Ireland for much of the spring/summer, but I'm hoping to make a couple of weekend visits back to Hampshire to coincide with games at the Rose Bowl.

I was wondering what would be the best way for me to follow what's happening in the county championship, and where the best reports are? I have access to the internet in Ireland, and have been following some of the international games on different sites (mainly Cricinfo). I've got all the fixtures for the season, so will know what games are coming up.

Appreciate any suggestions.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Welcome to CW mate.

There's usually a good County Championship thread here on CW with posters (notably Woodster) giving excellent daily round ups.

Many counties also have their own websites and chat forums, and some have daily highlights available on their websites - not particularly elaborate (mostly taken from a fixed camera from each end) but you do at least get to see the wickets. I don't know whether Hants do this, but I expect they do.

Sky Sports, to their eternal credit, also televise a good deal of domestic cricket. Mostly it's limited overs matches but they do also show the odd championship match every now and then.

Jacknife

International Captain
If you go to the guardian newspaper website, in the cricket section, they have short highlights of every first class match there during the season, I use that a lot to catch up on events.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you go to the guardian newspaper website, in the cricket section, they have short highlights of every first class match there during the season, I use that a lot to catch up on events.
That's a good tip. Cheers for that.

When does the County season start anyway?

Welcome to CW Pete. Enjoy.

Merve'sTash

Cricket Spectator
Tbh I wouldn't suggest the county chapionship to follow.. you might bore yourself stupid, (leave it to the retirees) and jack cricket in as a 'passing fad' before you even get going. Or if you must Rose Bowl (yes) but make it a sat (crowd/ atmos) and only if its sunny (beer/ general shenanigans etc). Id suggest 1st tho try a 'quickie' 20/20 to go watch IMO, or of course a Test Match (book well early tho).

But your 1st port of call before --anything at all to do with cricket to get you properly hooked before you start snoozing at a county game-- is pick up FIRE IN BABYLON. This is a movie (just now on dvd/ amazon- cheap too) released only a year or so ago of -the- greatest days of cricket.. and some. It is arguably the gretaest film ever made (for eg it is better than Citizen Kane). It is unarguably the greatest sports movie ever made.

MT.

Jager

International Debutant
Agreed on the Fire in Babylon suggestion, it's inspiring. "Out of the Ashes" is a documentary I watched the other day about Afghanistan's cricket team, nowhere near as good as FiB but it's still extremely good. The main thing I'd suggest when watching matches is just to be patient and appreciate the contest.