• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

smash84

The Tiger King
Gentlemen and Gentlemen (there don't seem to be any ladies on CW) after the popularity of CW top 50 cricketers of all time I decided to act on NUFAN's idea and recreate this thread that was done about 5 years earlier by the Sean. Also CW demographics have probably changed over the last 5 years so the list would probably be different from last time. Would be an interesting exercise IMO to see what list this time's voting throws up.

The idea is simple.

People have to send in a list of their top 25 test cricketers of all time to me on cwtop50@hotmail.com

The scoring will be as follows

The cricketer on the 25th rank will get 1 point and the top ranking cricketer will get 25 points.

The sum total of all points individually for all the cricketers will determine their overall rank.

The cricketers ranked 50 - 21 will have a thread on them in groups of 5 each. The top 20 cricketers will then have a thread. In case people would prefer individual threads for only the the top 15 or top 25 do let me know. I will go ahead with that.

I hope this will be as good if not better than the last edition.

Ok guys, you have till Thursday 29th of March 2012 3 pm GMT to send in your entries.

Let the games begin :)

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Sent.

Probably some controversial picks in there, but I went with the 25 I believe to have had the greatest impact.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
haha....yeah man was just going through your list and it had my attention for sure.

vitstl
I figured quite a few would get in easily anyway, so I thought I'd spare some votes to some other players who are deserving, but won't get nearly as many.

smash84

The Tiger King
I have given a long time for people to send in their lists because people usually don't frequent CW on the weekends.

Do you guys reckon I should shorten the period where people can send in their entries?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah, I think the length of time is fine mate. The more numbers the better. I'll get you a list, I'm just trying to work out who should fill my last few positions.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How about setting a qualification of receiving a vote from at least 5 voters to eradicate joke picks like Jardine and Flintoff last time around?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How about setting a qualification of receiving a vote from at least 5 voters to eradicate joke picks like Jardine and Flintoff last time around?
Thinking along this line, I think that (total points * total votes received by that player) might make an interesting final list...In that case, we won't need the cut-off criteria, too...

For example, if Bradman receives 435 points, and 18 out of 20 memebers have voted for him, his total point would be (435*18)=7830 and so on...

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, **** off.

A guy who places highly on 2 people's lists is more deserving of a place than a guy who gets 5 25th places.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Thinking along this line, I think that (total points * total votes received by that player) might make an interesting final list...In that case, we won't need the cut-off criteria, too...

For example, if Bradman receives 435 points, and 18 out of 20 memebers have voted for him, his total point would be (435*18)=7830 and so on...
Not a fan of this. It works well for the top few players, but not so for the cricketers who will be receiving votes in the 20 to 25 range.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, **** off.

A guy who places highly on 2 people's lists is more deserving of a place than a guy who gets 5 25th places.
No, but a guy who gets in the 20's for 10 people's list should be more deserving than if 1 person put someone else at the top...