Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

That will be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Imran (will benefit from higher rankings from fans that didnít participate last time)
    :
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

For some reason I think it'll be Bradman, Imran, Sobers, Tendulkar, Warne in that order.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    lol........at least one interesting surprise coming up which many people will not like.....and another that some might not
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

The next 5 will be put up soon enough

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Bradman
    Tendulkar
    Sobers
    Warne
    Imran
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
    RIP Craigos

I know that your username is biased indian but this is a little over the top

Wonder though if it is acceptable to put Viv Richards or Malcolm Marshall or Shane Warne at #2, why do people get up in arms when Tendulkar is put on #2. Not a direct response to Smali's comment but a general observation.

itbt I don't actually have much problem with people putting Tendulkar at number 2
    Last edited by smalishah84; 13-04-2012 at 12:40 AM.

@ankit.....I think Richards gets rated at number 2 due to the intangibles that he brings to the side

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    Wonder though if it is acceptable to put Viv Richards or Malcolm Marshall or Shane Warne at #2, why do people get up in arms when Tendulkar is put on #2. Not a direct response to Smali's comment but a general observation.
    In my opinion...

Because he was and is a very one dimensional cricketer and it is arguable if he was the (2nd) best at even that dimension. Wasn't a great fielder, not much of a leader/captain and in terms of match-winning or turning knocks his probably don't list very highly.

I really find it hard to fathom that he gets in the top 5 ahead of Warne, Marshall, Murali, Richards, and quite a few others. He was great at what he did but he rarely transcended the game IMO to be in the top echelon of players. If he ended up second and ahead of Imran and Sobers...then I'd be at a loss for words.
    Last edited by Ikki; 13-04-2012 at 05:11 AM.
    ★★★★★

Last edited by ankitj; 13-04-2012 at 05:34 AM.

International Coach biased indian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I know that your username is biased indian but this is a little over the top
    i was putting in a prediction like how it might end up...

if i had actually send in a list my top 5would have been

Bradman
    Sobers
    Tendulkar
    Marshall
    Viv Richards......
    Last edited by biased indian; 13-04-2012 at 06:39 AM.

In seriousness though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    In my opinion...

Because he was and is a very one dimensional cricketer and it is arguable if he was the (2nd) best at even that dimension. Wasn't a great fielder, not much of a leader/captain and in terms of match-winning or turning knocks his probably don't list very highly.

I really find it hard to fathom that he gets in the top 5 ahead of Warne, Marshall, Murali, Richards, and quite a few others. He was great at what he did but he rarely transcended the game IMO to be in the top echelon of players. If he ended up second and ahead of Imran and Sobers...then I'd be at a loss for words.
    I really find it hard to fathom that you find it so hard to fathom that Tendulkar could be in someone's top 5.

The justification for Warne et.al. can apply equally to a dozen and more of other cricketers including Tendulkar. I could mention the fact that Tendulkar owns every batting record today, performed for over 2 decades remaining among the top 5-6 batsmen for most of this period, inspired an entire generation and more, was a top performer in days Gooch and Boon, and is a top performer in days of Clarke and Cook etc. But that's not what I am going to do as I did not have him in top 5 myself, possibly for some of the reasons that you yourself mentioned.

However, I find the certainty and authority with which you summarily rule out any possible argument to include Tendulkar in top 5 quite amusing. It's also a curious thing that you single out Tendulkar for that sort of assessment. It's not as if you are advocating a strictly stats/facts based evaluation either, like PEWS does. You are leaving enough room for subjectivity, influence, intangibles etc. One can make a completely stats/facts based argument and also talk about the intangibles for Tendulkar perfectly well. On the other hand for some others it would be possible to justify a next-only-to-bradman status only on intangibles.

In that sense I think there is a very, very long list of cricketers who can be considered eligible for next-only-to-bradman. This includes someone like Lillee too who I didn't even have in my 25, but I totally get the rationale that someone will like to use to put him at #2.

I just find your arguments a result of a deep seated bias or dislike for Tendulkar or his stardom, deny it as much as you like.
    Last edited by ankitj; 13-04-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    For some reason I think it'll be Bradman, Imran, Sobers, Tendulkar, Warne in that order.
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    lol........at least one interesting surprise coming up which many people will not like.....and another that some might not
    Hmmm, I think it might be Imran, Bradman, Sobers, Tendulkar, Warne in that case

Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread Information