Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 774

Thread: CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

  1. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Not even at #8? That's harsh.

    I see smalishah_84 has signed up to the forum.


    that the_sean heist was pretty amazing tbh......

  2. #47
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    6,045
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Look, if Kapil is important enough to you that he merits a number 1 vote, then vote that way. All this talk of manipulating lists just means people are likely to be put off voting for this because people attempting to manipulate lists make exercises like this a complete waste of time for everyone else. I've already been put off voting in this because I reckon one or two people in this thread are completely at it, which is a shame because stuff like this is fun and can generate good discussion.
    What's your point?

    If your point is 'people don't manipulate', I disagree.

    If your point is 'people should not manipulate', I agree.

    If your point is 'we should assume that people don't manipulate, and go ahead having blind faith in people', I disagree.

    If your point is to teach me not to manipulate, don't bother - because I don't manipulate.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

  3. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,737
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I still don't see an issue. Provided people are being honest with their selections, if a couple of people make the list that you don't agree with, then you just have to accept that it's a representative list of everyone who's voted.



    Look, if Kapil is important enough to you that he merits a number 1 vote, then vote that way. All this talk of manipulating lists just means people are likely to be put off voting for this because people attempting to manipulate lists make exercises like this a complete waste of time for everyone else. I've already been put off voting in this because I reckon one or two people in this thread are completely at it, which is a shame because stuff like this is fun and can generate good discussion.
    awta

    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    FTR it's just a quick fix that I suggested.

    In fact, I think the best way to do these rankings is to conduct voting for no. 1, then conduct voting for no. 2 among the rest, and so on...there doesn't remain any scope for manipulation...
    awta but it is more fun this way and assuming everybody is honest in this we can have a similar list to what people would have voted for had they voted for each player individually

  4. #49
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    6,045
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    awta but it is more fun this way and assuming everybody is honest in this we can have a similar list to what people would have voted for had they voted for each player individually
    Assuming everybody is honest is an insult to honest people.

    Edit: BTW even if I don't fully agree with the methodology, don't think that I am discouraging you from the project - which should be fun if nothing else (and should yield correct results if your assumption of 'everybody is honest' comes true in this particular case accidentally).
    Last edited by weldone; 23-03-2012 at 04:32 AM.


  5. #50
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,986
    Golly, we're all taking this, and ourselves, a trifle seriously aren't we? Just because someone* voted for DR Jardine as their no.1 cricketer of all time, so that he snuck into the CW list at - gasp! - number 50, some people are getting their knickers in a most almighty twist.

    "Manipulation! Dishonesty! What about the sanctity of our list?"

    Give me a break.




    * me

  6. #51
    International Captain weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    6,045
    funny

  7. #52
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,108
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Golly, we're all taking this, and ourselves, a trifle seriously aren't we? Just because someone* voted for DR Jardine as their no.1 cricketer of all time, so that he snuck into the CW list at - gasp! - number 50, some people are getting their knickers in a most almighty twist.

    "Manipulation! Dishonesty! What about the sanctity of our list?"

    Give me a break.




    * me
    People are allowed to decide how strongly they feel about it, aren't they? I mean, if it was Harbhajan instead of Jardine, there will be no hue and cry you think?

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,089
    I'm helping smali with the tallying up of points - so far I've worked out the scoring for the first 9 emails.

    Some interesting results so far, keep the emails coming - cwtop50@hotmail.com

  9. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Vadodara, India
    Posts
    332
    Sent... but spent half an hour making a top 50 before i realised i needed only 25
    Last edited by Satguru; 23-03-2012 at 05:49 AM.

  10. #55
    International Captain Himannv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SL
    Posts
    6,237
    Sent. Probably missed out on some obvious names and on any given day may vote differently.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

  11. #56
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,744
    Trying to find the list I did a couple of years back, top 5 not changed I don't think but have probably moved more to judging players on wider cultural impact and such things.

  12. #57
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,680
    I more or less gave the same list I gave to Sean. Some differences for e.g. Imran is some 5-6 spots higher. I hope the write-ups are good; Sean did an excellent job last time round.
    ★★★★★

  13. #58
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,120
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    People are allowed to decide how strongly they feel about it, aren't they? I mean, if it was Harbhajan instead of Jardine, there will be no hue and cry you think?
    Who cares?

    The only people kicking up a fuss were dullards like Pratters.

    I'd have loved to see the reaction if I'd voted Gavin Hamilton number 1 instead of number 2 last time.

  14. #59
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Awesome I will vote in Mike Mason
    We have a winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  15. #60
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,467
    To Smalishah,

    1 peter ingram
    2 michael mason
    3 doug bracewell
    4 kyle mills
    5 jacques kallis

    love anonamus.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 5 cricketers of the century and a bit?
    By hang on in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 27-03-2012, 07:08 AM
  2. Replies: 353
    Last Post: 23-01-2011, 08:38 AM
  3. Mahmood and Panesar power England to series glory
    By symonds_94 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •