Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I know what your saying, but like I say it doesn't work for players who get lots of votes in the 20s.

Why should a player who gets ranked 23, 25, 25, 24 = 7 x 4 = 28 get so much more points than someone who gets ranked 22, 23 = 7 x 2 = 14

Also, I don't really understand why anyone would have a purpose like that. Just pick the best 25 in order and see where your favourites finish.
    The point I have been sarcastically making in my posts is that I agree with Ankit that there should be a 5 vote minimum to make it in. I was annoyed when Jardine made it in on the basis of one vote especially since I despise the fellow (RIP)

I am not in favour of weldone's system because it seems like over cooking it. But I will answer your problem with it - I actually think the player who got 28 points deserves it more than the person who got 14 - it is pretty arbitrary if someone gets ranked 22nd instead of 25th - and 4 people voted for the person with 28 points vs only 2 for the person with 14 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    How about setting a qualification of receiving a vote from at least 5 voters to eradicate joke picks like Jardine and Flintoff last time around?
    is a good idea...might actually go with this

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Thinking along this line, I think that (total points * total votes received by that player) might make an interesting final list...In that case, we won't need the cut-off criteria, too...

For example, if Bradman receives 435 points, and 18 out of 20 memebers have voted for him, his total point would be (435*18)=7830 and so on...
    A more sophisticated version of what Ankit says I suppose but GF below has a point

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Nah, **** off.

A guy who places highly on 2 people's lists is more deserving of a place than a guy who gets 5 25th places.
    We should all just agree to be honest with our votes irrespective of the methodology used. Are we allowed to discuss our list before all votes are in?
    I would hope this is true of all members and that they will vote for the top 25 that they honestly believe deserve those spots.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

interestingly though I just received a list that does not have Bradman among the top 25 cricketers of all time

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    is a good idea...might actually go with this

A more sophisticated version of what Ankit says I suppose but GF below has a point

I would hope this is true of all members and that they will vote for the top 25 that they honestly believe deserve those spots.
    So what is your decision.

thinking over it

Have to trudge off for juma so will take some more opinions when I return and go ahead with that

What do you guys think of Ankit's suggestion though?

interestingly though I just received a list that does not have Bradman among the top 25 cricketers of all time
    Who sent it....

and who were his other names on there?
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

I don't think GF has a point TBH. If 2 people rate a player v highly, and the player is good enough for that, at least some of the other voters would keep him low in their pecking.

In other words, if only 2 members rate a player at no. 1 and that player doesn't receive any more votes (in the top 25) from any other members then that player must be Virat Kohli or Jeetan Patel
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Most likely if 2 people rate a player highly but no-one else does it's usually someone that's crap but gets love on this forum, IMO.

thinking over it

Have to trudge off for juma so will take some more opinions when I return and go ahead with that

What do you guys think of Ankit's suggestion though?
    I am for the suggestion however I would make the cut off 3 votes as that is ample to stop shannanigans. Also last time I think the bottom 3 places only got 3 or 4 votes each and not 5.

btw - I have voted

ok, so the cut off is 4 votes.....we'll go ahead with 4 votes as the cut off for the shenanigans

International 12th Man weeman27bob's Avatar
    Sent.

Not even at #8? That's harsh.

I see smalishah_84 has signed up to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Problem GF is that we would have barely 30-40 voters at the end, this makes it possible for an individual to manipulate the outcome. If there were hundreds of voters, this problem wouldn't occur.

Anyways, I sent my list (and picked a list I honestly believe in). Why do you guys still use hotmail, btw?
    I still don't see an issue. Provided people are being honest with their selections, if a couple of people make the list that you don't agree with, then you just have to accept that it's a representative list of everyone who's voted.

Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Otherwise, isn't it too easy to manipulate this list?

For example, I know Bradman will do well but I also want Kapil ahead of Botham in the list. I can simply place Kapil at no. 1 and throw Botham out of the 25. I personally don't think Kapil to be the best test cricketer ever, and I know that in spite of me rating him no. 1, he won't come out no. 1 in the final list - but it serves my purpose..
    Look, if Kapil is important enough to you that he merits a number 1 vote, then vote that way. All this talk of manipulating lists just means people are likely to be put off voting for this because people attempting to manipulate lists make exercises like this a complete waste of time for everyone else. I've already been put off voting in this because I reckon one or two people in this thread are completely at it, which is a shame because stuff like this is fun and can generate good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I still don't see an issue. Provided people are being honest with their selections, if a couple of people make the list that you don't agree with, then you just have to accept that it's a representative list of everyone who's voted.

Look, if Kapil is important enough to you that he merits a number 1 vote, then vote that way. All this talk of manipulating lists just means people are likely to be put off voting for this because people attempting to manipulate lists make exercises like this a complete waste of time for everyone else. I've already been put off voting in this because I reckon one or two people in this thread are completely at it, which is a shame because stuff like this is fun and can generate good discussion.
    This.

FTR it's just a quick fix that I suggested.

In fact, I think the best way to do these rankings is to conduct voting for no. 1, then conduct voting for no. 2 among the rest, and so on...there doesn't remain any scope for manipulation...

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information