• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be a farce though, if Bradman doesn't finish #1. I can understand if someone like Sobers goes ahead of him, as he was a test-class bowler too, but I can tell there's gonna be quite a bit of intellectual dishonesty.
There's one person who could legitimately challenge Bradman for number 1. This player

(1) was as ridiculously dominant a batsman as Bradman;

(2) made more of a contribution to the development of the game than anyone in history;

(3) took more FC wickets (2,809) than Warne and Murali combined, including 240 five wicket hauls; and

(4) had a beard the magnificence of which could not seriously be questioned.

smash84

The Tiger King
There's one person who could legitimately challenge Bradman for number 1. This player

(2) made more of a contribution to the development of the game than anyone in history;

(3) took more FC wickets (2,809) than Warne and Murali combined, including 240 five wicket hauls; and

And he had a very good rank last time. 4 IIRC.

I am sorry to disappoint you Zaremba but that man that you speak of could not even dethrone much lesser cricketers let alone the Don

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Hashim Amla?

morgieb

Yeah Grace is fantastic. Test cricket will wreck him though.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
In my list Hadlee and Tendulkar were in top 10. I had to exclude Warne, Miller and Lillee from my top 25 because my top 25 had only 25 places.
Would be interested to see your 25 if you could leave all three of them out. I'm thinking three Aussies tops?

EDIT - just read your follow up post, Chappell and Border over those three is interesting, but fair enough. Ish. :p

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Had Dr Beardface in my top 3, and still think I might have placed him a spot too low.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
17 first class centuries were scored in 1871, and WG got 10 of them. That's just mental.

Anyhow I realise he ain't gonna win, but, picking up on morgie's excellent post, WG's the only player who could legitimately beat Bradman to the top.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If someone told me that it was for all cricket, and not just test cricket (as specified in the original post, FFS), then I would have had Grace in my top 3. Bit of a shambles, tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Predicted this sort of thing (i.e. Warne not being in people's top 10), so compensated with my own omissions. Hopefully will balance this sort of thing out.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Would be interested to see your 25 if you could leave all three of them out. I'm thinking three Aussies tops?

EDIT - just read your follow up post, Chappell and Border over those three is interesting, but fair enough. Ish. :p
Well I had 6 Aussies in my top 25 IIRC - Bradman, Gilchrist, McGrath, Border, O'Reilly and Chappell - in that order...

Burgey

17 first class centuries were scored in 1871, and WG got 10 of them. That's just mental.

Anyhow I realise he ain't gonna win, but, picking up on morgie's excellent post, WG's the only player who could legitimately beat Bradman to the top.
I think I had him at two or three.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well I had 6 Aussies in my top 25 IIRC - Bradman, Gilchrist, McGrath, Border, O'Reilly and Chappell - in that order...
You didn't have Warne? Shambles.

Predicted this sort of thing (i.e. Warne not being in people's top 10), so compensated with my own omissions. Hopefully will balance this sort of thing out.
Maybe it's best to have everyone submit their lists for public viewing.