• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
There were seven last time around, and that was without Dravid, Sanga or Sehwag - I'd be surprised if at least one (and possible more) of those didn't make it now. So the Asian contingent could well approach or even hit double figures this time.

smash84

The Tiger King
There were seven last time around, and that was without Dravid, Sanga or Sehwag - I'd be surprised if at least one (and possible more) of those didn't make it now. So the Asian contingent could well approach or even hit double figures this time.
hey, can you please post the top 50 from last time? I know you had posted one earlier but apparently you had mixed up the order of some of the players.

Can you please post it again so that I can include how the players have fared this time compared to last time?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How many in the top 50 are from Asia? Let me take a wild guess: 11?
It will be 7 to 8, I think.
I had six in my 25. I actually did 50 originally though and then only noticed we were submitting 25 when I opened this thread up to get the correct email address, and I had ten in that 50 (one of which I'm extremely sure won't be in the CW50 and another of which I doubt will be). It will be somewhere between five and ten IMO.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
hey, can you please post the top 50 from last time? I know you had posted one earlier but apparently you had mixed up the order of some of the players.

Can you please post it again so that I can include how the players have fared this time compared to last time?
Post #130 - there was only one mix up and I've fixed it.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I had six in my 25. I actually did 50 originally though and then only noticed we were submitting 25 when I opened this thread up to get the correct email address, and I had ten in that 50 (one of which I'm extremely sure won't be in the CW50 and another of which I doubt will be). It will be somewhere between five and ten IMO.
I've got five in my 25 and nine in my 50 (and 18 in my 100 - how's that for even distribution!) so yeah I'd be inclined to agree.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I've got five in my 25 and nine in my 50, so yeah I'd be inclined to agree.
I too have got 5 in my 25 - can easily think of 5 others whom I'll have in 50. I think the following 10 have good chances of making it to the 50 (in no particular order): Muralitharan, Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Imran, Dravid, Wasim, Miandad, Waqar, Kapil, Sangakkara. I counted Sehwag too when I predicted 11. But 9-10 looks the more likely number, I agree.

PEWS, who is that one unlikely Asian you were talking about (whom you included in your 50)? Let me take a wild guess - my avatar? If not then 2nd guess - Anil Kumble?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I too have got 5 in my 25 - can easily think of 5 others whom I'll have in 50. I think the following 10 have good chances of making it to the 50 (in no particular order): Muralitharan, Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Imran, Dravid, Wasim, Miandad, Waqar, Kapil, Sangakkara. I counted Sehwag too when I predicted 11. But 9-10 looks the more likely number, I agree.

PEWS, who is that one unlikely Asian you were talking about (whom you included in your 50)? Let me take a wild guess - my avatar? If not then 2nd guess - Anil Kumble?
Was Kumble; he scraped into my top 50 but I obviously didn't end up voting for him. He's an outside chance if he has a couple of really diehard fans here but he takes me more as the sort of player who'd come in around 40-100 for a lot of people and not actually get any votes here as a result. There was another Asian player in my 50 (number 50 in fact) who I think is absolutely no chance.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I've got 6 in my 25: Imran, Tendulkar, Murali, Gavaskar, Kapil, Wasim.

Also 10 all-rounders (!), including the likes of Hadlee in that category.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Was Kumble; he scraped into my top 50 but I obviously didn't end up voting for him. He's an outside chance if he has a couple of really diehard fans here but he takes me more as the sort of player who'd come in around 40-100 for a lot of people and not actually get any votes here as a result. There was another Asian player in my 50 (number 50 in fact) who I think is absolutely no chance.
AWTA. Same for Dravid too, IMO,

smash84

The Tiger King
yes folks....the first episode of CW top 50 begins tonight.......the lists have been coming up till the last minute and so we do not have a definite bottom 5 yet (itbt the top 2 aren't final either yet :p)

Fusion

Global Moderator
(itbt the top 2 aren't final either yet :p)
For the love of God, please don’t let it be Imran or Tendulkar that are somehow challenging the Don. I don’t think I can handle the inevitable backlash and fights that are sure to follow.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
For the love of God, please don’t let it be Imran or Tendulkar that are somehow challenging the Don. I don’t think I can handle the inevitable backlash and fights that are sure to follow.
Would have to be Sobers, surely?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
More likely to be Sobers or Grace, IMO.