• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

pup11

International Coach
Heard Cummins is moving to Perth for BBL because the Sixers don't want him because they consider him to be too injury prone, I just hope that if CA seriously considers likes of Cummins, Pattinson, Starc and Hazelwood future prospects then they should work on strength and conditioning of these guys during the off-season and then ask them to try to get through a complete FC season without any injury issues.

The current plan of pushing these guys into international cricket whenever they are fit is just lame and its stagnating their growth as international cricketers.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not sure if that'd be the exact reason, but yes i wouldn't be surprised if the sixers haven't put much effort into keeping him. still leaves the thunder for cummins tho.

brockley

International Captain
Stu Clark confirmed Cummins for the scorchers,so not likely the Thunder.
Usman Khwajah likely to play for the Brisbane Heat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A bit disappointed the NSW selectors went with Daniel Hughes, a 33 year old, who have a fairly average grade season. Reckon they should have given a contract to Cameron Merchant (28), Sam Robson (23) or Ahilen Beadle (25). All had good grade seasons last year. The first two also have solid first class records overseas and are top order batsmen.

Happy with the other selections.
If we picked Robson it'd have to be as an overseas player, in which case we'd be better off picking Jaques who only retired because of that exact situation.

Hughes as has been pointed out already is a kid.

Merchant is dire; if we were going to go in that direction I'd be much happier with Thornely (poor grade season with the bat aside) or Greg Hunt. I wouldn't be surprised if either of these guys got a game through the year.

The blokes who have actually scored all the grade runs in the last three seasons are Lambert, Mail and Moran; none of whom are legitimate options for different reasons.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Stand corrected regarding Daniel Hughes, clearly google lead me down the wrong patch.

Merchant for mine is a better then Cruickshank, especially as an opener. Reckon both would be capable at FC level, but below say the Mathew Phelps standard.

Still think Sam Robson should get a run. As there is the option of him choosing Australian domestic cricket over England. If he got a decent run, especially in OD cricket. Also he would be a more long term option then Jaques, Dawson or Chuickshank. They should put pride aside and pick the best batsmen available.

But regardless I bet you they will play Henriques at the top of order ahead of them all. Especially if Haddin gets dropped by Australia and they need to play all three in Nevill, Haddin and Henriques in the top 7.

Hopefully Rorher stills up and bats in the top 4, so the new guys/all rounders can get a start in the lower order.

toolie

Cricket Spectator
The other Daniel Hughes is from Dubbo and is a bowler that played NSW Country. This Daniel from Cowra as explained left hand opening bat moved down 07/08 to play for North Sydney and undertake a Greenkeeping Apprenticeship which he has completed. Very talented ball striker and can play short ball. Seems to do better when pace comes onto the ball.

pup11

International Coach
The Renegades better find sign some decent batsmen because with the departures of Hodge and Maxwell their batting stocks have become paper thin, same goes with Thunder, they too need to look at bringing in some batting might to support likes of Gayle and Warner.

Anyways on a sidenote anyone else thinks Maxwell is a superb prospect? Kind of reminds me of Roy Symonds and I believe he could be bolter for the T20 world cup squad because he is much better suited to carry out the role that is at present expected of Smith.

Last edited:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
The Renegades better find sign some decent batsmen because with the departures of Hodge and Maxwell their batting stocks have become paper thin, same goes with Thunder, they too need to look at bringing in some batting might to support likes of Gayle and Warner.
I'm a bit worried about the Renegades, not just because of the batting problems you mentioned but also their bowling. Tait/Nannes/Harwood were alright last year, but are getting older and there is every chance they are just going to get belted this season.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
They don't have to take them on again, in fact I would expect that Nannes would be the only one in red again next year. Maybe Harwood as a bargain basement pick again, although an extra year out of the state squad would hurt his chances. Talk has been that Coulter-Nile will end up in Melbourne, and surely that's more likely with the Scorchers getting Cummins.

Think we'll see some further poaching between the Stars and Renegades; Bailey to captain the Renegades IMO.

EDIT: just hope that one of the Melbourne teams brings Fekete back so that he can play a few games for Camberwell. *fingers crossed*

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Their 2nd overseas signing will need to be A+. And I guess they'll need to get a keeper unless they stock up on all-rounders again

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Renegades about to reveal a signing on the AFL Footy Show tonight, starting in a few minutes.