• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who's sitting in grade that can open the batting?

Rohrer, Patterson, Smith and Nev have to bat 3-6; you don't want to screw with them too much. Can't say I was overly impressed by Cruickshank or Henry (and aren't they primarily middle order batsmen anyway).

brockley

International Captain
Bench upset at the ammount of Blues leaving a sinking ship,must have to do with Stuart he had this same effect in New Zealand,ask the Kiwi posters.When Nevill said he would stay it was like so f******* what.
Cruikshank bats 3 for Manly,Henry even tho he opened for NSW and failed,bats 4/5.
I'd go for an opener like Daniel Hughes.(he is the best of a bad lot.)
Jake Doran is hit property,but middle order batsman,and hasn't played much first grade.Likely an Australian under 19 rep of the future(think he is 17).

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who will open the batting with Maddinson? I don't see an obvious replacement from within hence why I think NSW should be looking to sign a batsman from outside. Otherwise it will be Cruickshank. I don't believe the current squad is strong enough which is why I listed the 21 possible suggestions of players to sign above. Another one not on my original list is Middlesex batsman Sam Robson.

bondi beach

Burt ****ley? I thought NSW have gotten rid of him long ago. He spends more time on the treatment table than on the pitch! Henriques and Smith would be huge pluses.

It sounds like poor player management is the cause of Hauritz, Hughes and Khawaja departure. Perhaps the coach should have been sacked instead? Far easier to replace a coach than replace players of the calibre of Hughes and Khawaja.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
A couple of reactions in particular are making me laugh big time.

Katich irreplaceable but the rest barely played and Hughes and Khawaja offered nothing on and off the field.

Off the top of my head I reckon a third of the guys playing Shield cricket are from NSW. Quite a few of these guys are better players and team contributors than Hughes and Khawaja. Cricket in this state didn't implode without them and it will be ok without the people leaving.

Hughes and Khawaja leaving strikes me as a bit weak, to be honest. No doubt they got told some home truths and have responded by leaving.

Hauritz leaving is fair enough - would you hang around if O'Keefe was skipper? Hauritz twice the cricketer he is but his cards are marked.

brockley

International Captain
Khawjah got whacked over the knuckles for his poor form with NSW in the 2nd half of the season,obviously he is a soft ***k.
Redbacks chasing Smith and Henriques,earlier this year.
Yeh ****ley had a contract,but heard he is 100 % not getting a contract.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Khawjah got whacked over the knuckles for his poor form with NSW in the 2nd half of the season,obviously he is a soft ****.
This plus Hughes told anyone who would listen that he was leaving after he got left out of the NSW one day side mid season.

Weak.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Some massive over-reactions here. I reckon we'll be fine as long as we actually back the batting talent in the state and don't just stack the team with bowlers. By all rights Haddin should probably be with us for basically the entire season and both he and Nevill are good enough to play in the Shield as batsmen alone, so that's a plus there that no-one has really mentioned.

In my years of following this team there have been many, many factors stopping us from world domination - disruption of the side by players coming in and out, prolonged under-performance of PONIs, awfully balanced teams, ageism, randomly blacklisted players, Scott Coyte etc etc - but lack of talent in the state has never been one of those problems. An exodus from New South Wales is always going to be a positive for Australian cricket overall as we have the depth and talent to cover for it more than any other side, and while I'd have definitely have preferred if some of the fast bowlers left rather than our entire top order, I think we'll be right.

I wouldn't be against bringing someone like Cooper back home if he was interested but I don't think we should really need to go on a recruitment drive and take the homegrown talents of other states; we're better than that. If it means giving Cruickshank, Dawson, Henry or Thornely a run in the side then I'm absolutely okay with that - I'll probably enjoy cheering someone like that on more than Hughes or Khawaja anyway and I definitely like the idea more than Shaun Marsh or Liam Davis in the side. As long as it doesn't mean that Henriques, Smith and O'Keefe are all in the top six, and we actually try to develop a proper middle order, then we'll be sweet.

bondi beach

Good news about ****ley who hasn't played since 2009.

Hasn't Smith offered the captaincy by SA? Smith scored 681 runs for NSW last year and so would be a massive loss to the side which has already lost three of its top seven run scorers last season.

NSW top scorers last year:

Smith 681
Nevill 646
Rohrer 619
Katich 583
Khawaja 480
Maddinson 422
Hughes 411

They certainly cannot afford to lose Smith, Nevill, Rohrer or Maddinson. What worries me about the batting replacement is that Dawson, Thornely and Cruickshank are all in their thirties and either unproven or in the case of Thornely not played proper state cricket (i.e. not the big bash) over the past few seasons.

O'Keefe has a first class batting average of 34 and a bowling average of 28 whereas Hauritz has a batting average of 21 and a bowling average of 43. NSW made the right call.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
If you look at the balance of the NSW 2nd xl squad,we played generally 7/8 bowlers & allrounders,and maybe 3 batsmen,and even then we rotated or dropped them after 1 game,even Patterson didn't get a game for NSW 2nd xl.(funnily enough we came = second).
Defintely on grade form we will pick players,Greg Hunt for Stgeorge scored a ****load of runs last season,but he bats 3.

bondi beach

Best current XI for NSW assuming CA players are unavailable:

Maddinson
Patterson
Smith
Rohrer
Henriques
Nevill (+)
O'Keefe *
Lalor
Copeland
Bollinger
Hazlewood

Cruickshank may come in for Lalor. The departures of Hughes, Khawaka and Katich have certainly left a gaping hole in NSW top six.

Andre

International Regular
Kept saying Queensland at the time though. Maybe they didn't want him. :ph34r:
Yep, it was Queensland that was mentioned. There are concerns what he brings to teams though outside batting. Wonder if Queensland thought it was too much trouble.

bondi beach

And it's that sort of ridiculous thinking that has cost us in the past.
I think the opening bowlers will be queing up to bowl against NSW given the lack of quality currently within the squad. You cannot replace proven internationals with grade cricketers!