• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

brockley

International Captain
Cox said Harris a victim of generational change last season,they had a Victorian opening for them last year with James Smith,forget the Victorians ' name Tom?

Riggins

International Captain
nsw bois, how do i recruit hughesy for grade. whats he into. how much coke we gotta buy him?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Harris was also a victim of not being able to buy a run last year. He is next to no chance in the Shield. I'm sure he'll get a game or two in the OD's and he's a gun T20 player.

1 Hughes 2 Klinger 3 Stray/Head 4 Ferguson 5 Cooper 6 Christian 7 Botha is potentially a very good top 7.

Riggins

International Captain
Head's a way better player than tom stray, just wish they'd give him a chance to play half a season at 5/6 rather than throwing him to the wolves a bit early at number 3. only 18, and comfortably one of the dumbest guys i've met.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Head's a way better player than tom stray, just wish they'd give him a chance to play half a season at 5/6 rather than throwing him to the wolves a bit early at number 3. only 18, and comfortably one of the dumbest guys i've met.
Yeah look, as I was saying to my missus the other night (she's a massive Redbacks fan ftr), you've gotta give Head a chance.

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Details of the new salary cap and squad size limits:

New state cricket squads have a $1.3million salary cap to share among domestic first-class players.

The maximum earning retainer before match payments is $150,000 and a minimum base payment of $50,000.

Each state can have a maximum of 20 players in their squad and a minimum of 15 contracted players, with at least three rookies and up to a maximum of six rookie list players.

A rookie player receives a maximum payment of $36,000 for the 12 months and minimum of $18,000.

A squad of 15 with 3 rookies (r) is cutting it too fine IMHO. Would Cruickshank, Lalor and Patterson count as rookies?

NSW: Maddinson, Khawaja, Smith, Rohrer, Patterson (r), Henriques, Nevill, O'Keefe, Copeland, Bollinger, Hazlewood, Cruickshank (r), Hauritz and Lalor (r)

which would leave room for another batsman to be signed. Who should they sign?

Bailey and Cowan have signed for Tasmania but they are still plenty of options out there:

Quiney
Davis
Klinger
Rogers
Burns
Voges
Cooper
Townsend
Forrest
Cazzulino
Ferguson
Handscombe (would also provide a backup keeper option)
S Marsh (had a poor season last year but has a point to prove)

If they lose any bowlers they may need to look at the following to strengthen the bowling attack:

Bird
Faulkner
Cutting
Rimmington
Butterworth
George
McDermott
Mennie

Last edited:

bondi beach

Benchmark - You say they should sign no one but it is asking a lot to expect 19 year old Kurtis Patterson to replace Phil Hughes. I don't think Cruickshank, Doran, Tremain and Dawson are good enough to replace Phil Hughes, Simon Katich, Phil Jacques, Beau Casson, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark.

benchmark00

Benchmark - You say they should sign no one but it is asking a lot to expect 19 year old Kurtis Patterson to replace Phil Hughes. I don't think Cruickshank, Doran, Tremain and Dawson are good enough to replace Phil Hughes, Simon Katich, Phil Jacques, Beau Casson, Brett Lee and Stuart Clark.
Hughes debuted at 18, not much difference between him and KP. Jaques basically wasn't in the thinking of NSW for first XI last season, Beau Casson didn't play, Brett Lee didn't play shield and rarely played OD matches and Stuart Clark didn't play last year.

Can't replace a guy like Simon Katich, no matter who you sign.

NSW have talent all across the state. It will be a blessing in disguise if some of these PONI's go elsewhere as it will enable NSW to pick players on form, not players who are being looked at by national selectors.

I repeat, NSW will be fine with who they have.

bondi beach

Last season NSW had a squad of 29 players including 20 who have appeared for Australia. Now the squad has just 14 internationals. Of the six players to leave Lee, Jacques, Casson and Clark didn't feature heavily but Hughes and Katich departure has left a massive hole in the batting line up. Patterson will come into the side but they are a quality batsman short.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes debuted at 18, not much difference between him and KP. Jaques basically wasn't in the thinking of NSW for first XI last season, Beau Casson didn't play, Brett Lee didn't play shield and rarely played OD matches and Stuart Clark didn't play last year.

Can't replace a guy like Simon Katich, no matter who you sign.

NSW have talent all across the state. It will be a blessing in disguise if some of these PONI's go elsewhere as it will enable NSW to pick players on form, not players who are being looked at by national selectors.

I repeat, NSW will be fine with who they have.
I agree, to an extent. If Khawaja does what everyone's been predicting and goes off to Queensland, NSW needs someone to open with Maddinson.

IIRC, there aren't many grade players knocking down the door for that one (except Greg Mail, and he retired..)

bondi beach

The problem is if Khawaja goes their top five will be:

Maddinson
Cruickshank
Smith
Rohrer
Patterson

compared with:

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith

you tell me which top five is stronger!?

benchmark00

The problem is if Khawaja goes their top five will be:

Maddinson
Cruickshank
Smith
Rohrer
Patterson

compared with:

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith

you tell me which top five is stronger!?
Tell me which top five is stronger:

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith

Or

Townsend
Kemp
Robinson
Burns
Lynn

bondi beach

Tell me which top five is stronger:

Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Katich
Smith

Or

Townsend
Kemp
Robinson
Burns
Lynn
Queensland won because of their bowling. Even without Magoffin and Swan they still have a seam attack of Harris, Cutting, McDermott and Hopes. Batting wise only Burns, Towsend and Forrest stood up. In Hughes, Khawaja, Jacques, Katich and Smith NSW had five players who have played for Australia. Without Hughes and Katich the batting looks weak.

benchmark00

Queensland won because of their bowling. Even without Magoffin and Swan they still have a seam attack of Harris, Cutting, McDermott and Hopes. Batting wise only Burns, Towsend and Forrest stood up. In Hughes, Khawaja, Jacques, Katich and Smith NSW had five players who have played for Australia. Without Hughes and Katich the batting looks weak.
And our bowling attack is Bollinger, Copeland, Hauritz (?), Starc, Hazelwood, O'keefe et al.

Shield cricket is a different beast.

Last edited: