• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I'm not sure if he played, but yeah he was said to have moved there (Luke Pomersbach leaves WA | Domestic Cricket | Fox Sports)

Impossible for us to know if he's sorted himself out, but he'd walk into the team if he has

The nice thing about the BigBash is that Victoria won't have to consider his T20 awesone-ness if Finch is like "hey I'd think it'd be best for me to **** off to SA. Release me please?".
http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/pages/asphost.aspx?loc=/cricket/reports/playercareerbatting.asp&playerid=21877&eid=13719

Decent half-season.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WA might let one of Behrendoffffff, Duffield or Dixon go, but that's about it. Got a few spots to fill too.

Marcus North (C) - keeper
Tom Beaton (R) - keeper
Michael Beer - keeper
Jason Behrendorff (R) - might wanna go
Travis Birt - ****ing ****
Mark Cameron - dead
Nathan Coulter-Nile - keeper
Liam Davis - keeper
Matt Dixon (R) - might wanna go
Ryan Duffield - might wanna go
Marcus Harris - keeper
Michael Hogan - keeper
Michael Hussey - bah
Michael Johnson (R) - keeper but not much else
Mitchell Johnson - should move if only so he doesn't end up taking 50 wickets at the WACA which leavs everyone to saying "well yes of course you would do that"
Brad Knowles - dead
Mitchell Marsh - keeper
Shaun Marsh - keeper
Joel Paris (R) - who
Martin Paskal - ahahahahahha
Nathan Rimmington - can't believe this guy killed it
Wes Robinson - as above
Luke Ronchi - dead
Adam Voges - keeper

But yeah if WA get Katich, a keeper who isn't the biggest waste of space ever and don't get killed by injury again, they're surely favourites.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
WA might let one of Behrendoffffff, Duffield or Dixon go, but that's about it. Got a few spots to fill too.

Marcus North (C) - keeper
Tom Beaton (R) - keeper
Michael Beer - keeper
Jason Behrendorff (R) - might wanna go
Travis Birt - ****ing ****
Mark Cameron - dead
Nathan Coulter-Nile - keeper
Liam Davis - keeper
Matt Dixon (R) - might wanna go
Ryan Duffield - might wanna go
Marcus Harris - keeper
Michael Hogan - keeper
Michael Hussey - bah
Michael Johnson (R) - keeper but not much else
Mitchell Johnson - should move if only so he doesn't end up taking 50 wickets at the WACA which leavs everyone to saying "well yes of course you would do that"
Brad Knowles - dead
Mitchell Marsh - keeper
Shaun Marsh - keeper
Joel Paris (R) - who
Martin Paskal - ahahahahahha
Nathan Rimmington - can't believe this guy killed it
Wes Robinson - as above
Luke Ronchi - dead
Adam Voges - keeper

But yeah if WA get Katich, a keeper who isn't the biggest waste of space ever and don't get killed by injury again, they're surely favourites.
They've got Josh Anderson on the books in some capacity too, and I reckon he might be looking elsewhere.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dunno about Handscomb being an out and out opener, but he's always been looked at like a number 3. Hill's been more suited to middle order batting - he can be a bit loose outside off stump, but I think there was a bit of responsibility put on him by opening to stop him playing the sort of shots that were getting him out, because they were shots that openers do not play. So he had some (relative) success there on the back of that, really - left a lot of balls early on.

brockley

International Captain
Whats the story with Rogers,he moved to the Vics to play one day cricket,this year he got 1 game,wouldn't surprise me if he heads back West or heads to Adelaide,Berry said Daniel Harris was a victim of generational change so there's a spot.

Pomersback moved to Queensland for a change don't expect him back in the west,unless Big Bash.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I cannot imagine the lack of one day cricket is a big issue for Rogers anymore. Five years ago was a different story with Rogers fighting for a spot in the Australian side and yet only playing for his state in one format.

It's no harm for your Test chances to be playing one day cricket, see Peter Forrest.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
BBL player movements will be interesting too I think. Weren't the original contracts just for the season gone?

Spikey

yep. everyone's a free agent this season assuming a new 'Memorandum of Understanding' is signed. I think the plan was to allow the players longer deals once that gets done, but I dunno know, if I was a player i'd probably be hesitant to sign for longer than a year, and if I was a manager I'd be hesitant to sign most standard domestic players for longer than a year

brockley

International Captain
Interesting Alex Carey turning his back on AFL, so is Brett Jones who used to have a rookie contract with the Warriors, adding to their batting depth.

Anyone watch Cricket Superstar,wonder how Dutchie Holland will go for Victoria?
Williams played a game or 2 for the Redbacks, Vernon played a couple of future games with the Warriors.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It got me thinking today...

Jaques has retired from Australian domestic cricket because New South Wales don't want to pick him as an overseas player after he uses his British passport to play as a local player in county cricket. We've also overlooked Sam Robson for lesser players, presumably for the same reason.

Timm van der Gugten plays for Holland; does this make him an overseas player here domestically, or does the fact that it's only an associate nation allow him to still play state cricket in Australia as a local player? Same question applies to Cooper I guess but I don't think South Australia have moral objections to it in the same way NSW seem to these days.

benchmark00

Yeah I think the rules are different re: going from test nation to associate.

van der Gugten and c00ps could play for Australia tomorrow if selected, whereas if they wanted to go to say England, they'd have to qualify.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think the rules are different re: going from test nation to associate.

van der Gugten and c00ps could play for Australia tomorrow if selected, whereas if they wanted to go to say England, they'd have to qualify.
Couldn't Jaques play for Australia immediately halfway through a stint in England as a local player though? It'd be the same thing - he'd have to change his international availability, much like Cooper would to play for Australia, but he could still do it straight away without hassle.

I know you can change from associate to full member teams without waiting at international level whereas you have to wait the four years to change from a full member side to another full member side, but changing your domestic local player status seems to be like flicking a switch. Rudolph did it recently for example - was playing for Yorkshire as a local player, then cut ties with them and turned out for South Africa in a Test. I don't see how Jaques is different from Cooper in a domestic sense - both are playing as local players of another country but could stop that dead and turn out in a Test the next day if they so desired.

Last edited:

Spikey

All I can add to this, is that during the BigBash Cooper was allowed to play in matches Thomas and Botha were playing in too. So I have no idea.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think the rules are basically that, if you are eligible to play for Australia at that time then you're a local player.

E.g. Darren Pattinson isn't (or maybe by now, wasn't) a local after playing for England. But Dirk Nannes, when he was playing for the Netherlands, was.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the rules are basically that, if you are eligible to play for Australia at that time then you're a local player.

E.g. Darren Pattinson isn't (or maybe by now, wasn't) a local after playing for England. But Dirk Nannes, when he was playing for the Netherlands, was.
Robson are Jaques are eligible to play for Australia though, even if they've just been playing as local players in England. That's what I don't get. Playing county cricket as a local player isn't the same as playing for England - all they have to do is stop doing that immediately, much as Cooper would have to stop playing for Holland to play for Australia. It's logistically the same as playing for an associate really as it means your allegiance is one thing but can be changed to another at the drop of a hat (but can't be changed back so quickly).

Spikey

maybe we should rock up to the steve waugh medal tonight with a "contract sam robson" banner

and by we I mean anyone but me

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Robson are Jaques are eligible to play for Australia though, even if they've just been playing as local players in England. That's what I don't get. Playing county cricket as a local player isn't the same as playing for England - all they have to do is stop doing that immediately, much as Cooper would have to stop playing for Holland to play for Australia. It's logistically the same as playing for an associate really as it means your allegiance is one thing but can be changed to another at the drop of a hat (but can't be changed back so quickly).
No, the point is that NSW are making that choice. Pattinson still gets picked for Victoria, despite playing as a local for Notts each winter.

Last edited: