• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Would have liked Quiney in the squad ahead of Davis, and McDermott in there somewhere. And we really should be taking a back-up 'keeper for Paine, given he appears to be Nasser Hussain Mk II when it comes to finger durability.

The ODI squad looks pretty good, although I'd rather not see Hilfenhaus in the squad. He has been bowling very well though. Dan Christian a bit unlucky to miss out, bowled very well in the CB series.

Sylvester

State Captain
Cowan named captain interesting, thought Bailey would have got the gig seeing how much CA value his captaincy ability.

Quiney unlucky to miss the Aus A side but other than that a good squad named.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think there's one major problem with the squad:

Shane Watson - no player selected, should have been Christan
Matt Wade - Tim Paine, barely played for two seasons, has never had that good of a record anyway
Nathan Lyon - Nathan Lyon, uh what?

Get what I mean? Chrisitan, Nevill/Hartley and Beer all should have been selected. Thinking about it like that, you know, 'if this guy gets injured who replaces him', I can understand why they picked Cowan to captain, well, a bit anyway. We know once you get past Clarke there's a big leadership void in the national team, so you bring down a batsman from the national team to give some (C) exp to. But then Warner, instead of Cowan, probably would have made a bit more sense, if that's what they were thinking about.

but then warner probably wants a rest

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The article stated that the NSP were mindful of not overloading Warner, Wade and Dave Hussey. It also suggested that Johnson has taken Christian's place, so he is Watson's backup.

I had forgotten about Quiney, he definitely deserves a spot, he's very unlucky. He's a versatile cricketer who could do a job batting anywhere in the top 6 and appears to be in the best form of his career.

Spikey

since the new panel started we've been going in with maybe one or two 'extra' players, although that's possibly because MJ and Harris have always been in those squads...

The article stated that the NSP were mindful of not overloading Warner, Wade and Dave Hussey. It also suggested that Johnson has taken Christian's place, so he is Watson's backup.
I was talking about the aus a squad. totally understand why Christian hasn't been picked in the oDI team

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, I reckon it's a decent move to give Warner a rest and make Cowan captain. And Christian going from 12th man at Christmas to a complete omission is surprising: maybe a workload issue as well with the IPL? I mean, how many IPL players have they picked at all?

Spikey

A few. Watson, Clarke, Harris and Hilf are all over there right now. But Smith's the only one I can think of who was 'outside' but has came in.

Spikey

Christan's omission is really strange because I mean, Burns, Klinger and Cooper? Christan has a case just as a batsman alone. I don't even care for hi m hat much but he's been robbed or he's done something to make him lose appeal or something

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This is the team that I would play:
1 Cowan 2 Klinger 3 Forrest 4 Bailey 5 Burns 6 Smith 7 Paine 8 Pattinson 9 Cutting 10 Starc 11 Lyon.

When you look at the squad you realize that no one is especially suited to the number 3 spot unless you opened with Davis and moved Klinger down a spot.

Cutting vs. Cummins was close. I'm curious to know if Starc actually manages to play for Yorkshire, why don't they continue letting him play County Cricket which would mean one of the other bowlers gets a chance for the A team?

Spikey

Starc's contract is only 3-4 weeks, obviously it will be extended now that he isn't playing in the ODI's, but by time of the matches he'll be out of contract.

would probably play Davis in front of Klinger. bowlers will be rotated obviously but I see the order being 1. Patto 2. Cummins 3. Starc 4. MJ 5. Bird 6. Cutting.

Starc or MJ 3 the tricky one

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Cheers, I never know how long these county contracts are. Davis is a chance ahead of Klinger but in the article it said that Cowan will open the batting with Klinger, so I picked it that way.

My bowling order is quite different to yours. I don't want MJ in our Test side ever again basically so he is last on my list.

Spikey

i wouldn't say I never want him in the team ever again. if he proves himself he proves himself. the problem is, half of his games are gonna be at the waca next season.....so may as well test him now