• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dont really blame Sam Robson for throwing his lot in with England but, let's face it, the kid is about as English as I am

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tim Paine and Michael Beer at 27 years of age seem a bit too old for this kind of thing.

Finch is clearly there to provide confidence to the bowlers.

I'm probably most excited for Burns, Coulter-Nile and Patterson.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yeah fine with Paine. Beer is a bit more iffy but I guess he is in the Aus A team

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have no problem with Beer either; he may not be particularly young but he's new to First Class cricket and (quite justifiably now) up near the top of Australia's spin stocks, so it'll definitely be of a benefit to him and Australian cricket to have him exposed to our finest training facilities and staff over the offseason. Given he's had to work his way up through consistently good grade performances it's probably not the sort of thing he's had much exposure to at all; no telling what it could achieve. Holland there for the fifth year in a row is a dodgier call really, but I have no real problem with it either tbh.

Spikey

Pretty sure it's gonna be re-named the Jon Holland Centre of Excellence

Although the excellence bit is 50/50 to stay

Spikey

To just go back to Aaron ****ing Finch and Nic ****ing Maddinson. For me those two are so far away from even an Aus A team it seems a joke to send them. Simon Katich is closer.

Spikey

Cricket Australia presents 'The Jon Holland Centre'

so anyway I guess the Aus A squad to England includes:

Michael Beer
Jackson Bird
Joe Burns
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Patrick Cummins
Aaron Finch
Jon Holland
Phillip Hughes
Chris Lynn
Nic Maddinson
Mitchell Marsh
Tim Paine
Steven Smith
Mitchell Starc
Anyone else

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I'm not a great fan of Jon Holland, however he has just completed his most successful season of Sheffield Shield cricket. Only speculating that the COE has played a role in his improvement. Worth the additional off-season at the centre to determine if last season was a once-off.

howardj

International Coach
After his summer from hell, Chris Lynn is further away from Australian honours than Clive Palmer

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket Australia presents 'The Jon Holland Centre'

so anyway I guess the Aus A squad to England includes:

Michael Beer
Jackson Bird
Joe Burns
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Patrick Cummins
Aaron Finch
Jon Holland
Phillip Hughes
Chris Lynn
Nic Maddinson
Mitchell Marsh
Tim Paine
Steven Smith
Mitchell Starc
Anyone else
Bailey to captain, assuming he isn't in the national set-up at that point.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bailey really should be in the national set up in all 3 formats. If a Test spot opened up Bailey would be my man. I actually rate Bailey's batting ability over his team mate Cowan and Watson.

Spikey

if memory serves you're not the most reliable opinion on Mr Bailey

And neither is PEWS.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
if memory serves you're not the most reliable opinion on Mr Bailey

And neither is PEWS.
:D Yeah, I've been a fan of his for a long time but for a few years there he wasn't producing what I thought he was capable of. Lately though he's played a fair few important knocks, the only thing really missing is that big hundred.

Who knows though, I could have sworn that Khawaja would have fully cemented his spot in the Australian team by now.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Bailey really should be in the national set up in all 3 formats. If a Test spot opened up Bailey would be my man. I actually rate Bailey's batting ability over his team mate Cowan and Watson.
Agree to an extent - I always thought Bailey was incredibly underrated, and particularly recently should at least be around the squads. He's not necessarily a first XI regular, but should definitely be looked at in terms of the ODI side, filling in when a batsman is needed.

Always looked class to me, just never really kicked on.