Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dale Steyn vs Pakistan in the UAE - Statistically Insignificant or Major Failing?

State Captain
    I can't at all see the relevance of a two-Test series for a guy who averages 23 over a 50+ Test career.

I'm sure we could do this with the Don, Wally Hammond, anyone.

Two Tests is far too few. Imagine if Steyn sent down 500 balls over the course of two hypothetical Tests, and took only 10 wickets at an SR of 50 and with his economy rate of 3.5, at an average of just under 30. Imagine that he had a catch dropped, a close lbw shout not given (although it was out) and an inswinger that beat the batsman and missed off stump by two millimeters.

In this example, with a tiny bit of extra luck he could have had 13 wickets, an SR of 38 and am average of 22 (more like his real life stats). Fluctuations of luck occur like this all the time, and the smaller the sample size the greater the effect.

If he'd been smashed for 6 an over and took no wickets then maybe that could be considered a failing, otherwise it falls within the margin of error IMO.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    That series is clear proof that Anderson & Broad are better than him. FACT.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Kiwi, you couldn't have explained that better, perfect. Looking forward to Steyn bowling tomorrow (hopefully), too
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    Two Tests is far too few. Imagine if Steyn sent down 500 balls over the course of two hypothetical Tests, and took only 10 wickets at an SR of 50 and with his economy rate of 3.5, at an average of just under 30. Imagine that he had a catch dropped, a close lbw shout not given (although it was out) and an inswinger that beat the batsman and missed off stump by two millimeters.

In this example, with a tiny bit of extra luck he could have had 13 wickets, an SR of 38 and am average of 22 (more like his real life stats). Fluctuations of luck occur like this all the time, and the smaller the sample size the greater the effect.

If he'd been smashed for 6 an over and took no wickets then maybe that could be considered a failing, otherwise it falls within the margin of error IMO.
    You've described Anderson's UAE series.
    ​63*

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Yeah I know that small sample sizes distort things but it's a bit much to just say average of 45 + some luck = average of 22, not least because it assumes without evidence that Steyn was unusually unlucky in that series.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

forever 63*

Cricket Spectator

Icon12 Really??

This Steyn guy must be darn good if nit picking of such proportions are attempted

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger123 View Post
    This Steyn guy must be darn good if nit picking of such proportions are attempted
    Can tell you're new to CW. This, comparatively speaking, is minor stats picking.

Welcome, enjoy your stay
    My sworn enemy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I hate s smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I give out points for style of which Steve(n) Smith has none.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post

Great post!
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information