• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"My XI" on ESPNCricinfo

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quite easily actually. I'd not have Wasim anywhere near my team as that would imply him to be one of the 3 best quicks ever.
No it doesn't.

I wouldn't have Akram in my all time XI, but in a practical sense, not theoretical, having a left armer (and along side Alan Davidson, Wasim is the best left armer of all time), provides variety which makes the attack more likely to succeed.

Personally I don't think the variety he brings to the table would outweigh the other options, but it's stupid to say he wouldn't be anywhere near it or just because you pick him it automatically means he's one of the three best of all time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Maybe it's the unconventionality that I don't like (wicketkeeper at 8, two allrounders). Then again, I look way too deeply into my XI's and look for things like averages in specific positions, personality clashes because of egos, fielding skills, whether I can make a good slips cordon etc. Gotta love being pedantic!
The team looks more balanced when you put Gilchrist at 7 and Imran at 8 though (which is what would happen). Imran would've been selected as a bowler or a bowling allrounder; a lot of all-time teams have Imran at 8 and he has a case to be included on his bowling alone anyway. Just feels unbalanced because of the order.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, it does seem better like that, although Imran averaged 61 batting at 6!
In which case you're not picking him as a batsman rather than a bowler, and there's better batsmen around (unless you want a 4 man attack where one averages 33)

Jager

International Debutant
In which case you're not picking him as a batsman rather than a bowler, and there's better batsmen around (unless you want a 4 man attack where one averages 33)
No, just batting him where he succeeded most (him taking the all-rounder spot), then from 8-11 having two seamers and two spinners. Just my personal style of creating a team

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, just batting him where he succeeded most (him taking the all-rounder spot), then from 8-11 having two seamers and two spinners. Just my personal style of creating a team
When Imran was a #6 batsman he wasn't a great bowler though; that's the point. He succeeded most when he batted 7 or 8 and was an all-time great bowler.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe it's the unconventionality that I don't like (wicketkeeper at 8, two allrounders). Then again, I look way too deeply into my XI's and look for things like averages in specific positions, personality clashes because of egos, fielding skills, whether I can make a good slips cordon etc. Gotta love being pedantic!
Know what you mean, I also try to have a mixture of era's and if possible nations. Put an awful about of time and resear into each of my AT XI's. But agression and slip fielding for the batsmen and similarily agression and speed for the bowlers are the deciding factors if all other things are equal.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I like someone who actually considers those things! EWS, I searched Khan's bowling statistics for matches that he batted at 6
Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
If you can't be bothered reading, 135 wickets, BBI 8/60, average of 16.68, SR of 38.4, 16 5-fors. Seems pretty decent to me
:laugh: Fair enough. :ph34r:

Was always under the impression that Imran's bowling dropped off as his batting improved. In fact I'm sure it did; it just doesn't show up in those particular statistics. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbh I can't make out what these stats mean
They're apparently bowling stats for matches Imran has batted #6 in. I didn't even know you could do that on StatsGuru though and when you click return to query and then click submit again it gives you his whole career. I trust it though. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
y do u trust it?

:laugh:
Because I love Imran. :ph34r:

Seriously though it only makes sense if that's what it is; StatsGuru wouldn't just randomly throw up a 20-match sample or whatever it was. If it errored itself out it'd either show no games or his whole career.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am not too sure but if you see the last stat on that page it says something about batting position number 6 and there is only 1 match in there