• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amir Interview

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I sympathise with Amir so much. A young kid who no doubt loves Cricket and money should have the support of his captain, not be used by him. Obviously Amir thought that 2 no balls wouldn't make much difference and he bowled such a superb spell that day - It's not as though he purposely bowled complete rubbish or got out on purpose.

I'm glad all 3 were caught as the crimes could have gotten worse, but I really want to see Amir back in Pakistan colours when he's eligible to do so.

Xuhaib

International Coach
What a buffoon.

I am the 2nd coming of Gandhi it was these evil people that tricked me in to it8-)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wasn't he in a young offender's institute though? That's basically prison just that there are no over 21s there. Different to a detention centre.
Yeah he was in a YOI, which in many ways is worse, all those testosterone fuelled hard cases trying to be top dog - no essentially genial time-serving Norman Stanley Fletchers in there
I stand corrected. I thought he'd got off lightly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I stand corrected. I thought he'd got off lightly.
There's a very famous film that made Ray Winstone's name set in a British Borstal, the predecessors of today's YOIs for young crims called "Scum".

Things have hopefully improved, but shows they're not exactly a holiday camp.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Everytime I have even a tiny bit of sympathy for Amir I see the footage and the performance he put on (along with Butt of course) after he bowled the no ball. The looking at his spikes, the scraping of the turf with his foot, the sawdust etc.

It's just so pre-meditated and cunningly planned, it really churns.

Gfy Aamir.

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Just got done with the youtube clips.

I think what's getting ignored here,is the reasoning given by Amir that he felt 'obliged' to bowl the no-balls since Mazhar had claimed his friend would remove all trace of the apparent investigation of the text messages and calls by Ali,which was the conversation that took place during the hotel parking.I'm not defending what he did,nor am i saying that he's telling the absolute truth,but it was understandable for him to bowl the no balls because he was scared that if he didn't,Mazhar would ask his 'friend' to open the supposed investigation into the Ali texts again and con Amir.

The performance put on after the no ball,as mentioned by Jono,could well have been done to not make things suspicious,in order to ensure that Mazhar doesn't ask his 'friend'' to open the investigation again.

I'm not defending Amir,but his explanation during the interview is definitely not as laughable as it is being suggested in this thread.Also,people who can understand Urdu would probably get a better idea of his explanation and his true emotions,since the translation in English would miss a bit of that true emotional aspect.

I think anyone who's actually interested in the interview should watch the whole thing,and not rely on twitter and articles alone.They don't cover it that well.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I don’t think anyone’s ignoring that. I just think most find it very hard to believe that. I think the simplest explanation is that he was young and stupid. I reiterate that he should simply state that and ask for forgiveness instead of blaming others for his plight.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Agree with Salman85 here. Perhaps I'm a bit of a sucker but he seemed pretty devastated by his actions in bowling the no-balls in the interview and to realise how badly it had hurt the game of cricket.

Certainly from a financial point of view it doesn't make sense - risking potentially millions in earnings over the rest of his career for a couple of grand. Forwarding his bank details and a couple of texts he sent did sound a bit dodgy but the explanation that these were then held over him to pressure him into cheating by people he trusted (and with his captain directing him on field) might contain some truth.

Ultimately he's a young guy who has made a bad mistake for which he's paid a pretty big price. If he does intend to eventually return to the game once his suspension is completed I hope he suceeds.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
They're not apologies. You apologise for your choices and your actions. You don't apologise for your stupidity or your supposed immaturity or your supposed gullibility. Those are statements of excuses in the guise of apologies.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This thread is rapidly getting depressing at the number of apologists who buy into Amir's crock of ****e. People are going along with his inconsistent and contradictory nonsense, this from a guy who has consistently told a pack of lies throughout the whole process that saw him get a half-arsed ban and a 6 month sentence. But it's okay because the apologists insist on saying how they're not defending him and don't go along with all of it. Oh ffs.

That piece of crap has had numerous opportunities for at least regaining some credibility. He could have told the truth and taken some responsibility for what HE has done. But every time he has come up with a load of bollocks. Vague apologies thrown in along with an extension of the persecution complex crap. He keeps digging a deeper hole for himself. The only trouble is this turd is going to get another shot at wrecking the sport we and millions of others care about.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
This thread is rapidly getting depressing at the number of apologists who buy into Amir's crock of ****e. People are going along with his inconsistent and contradictory nonsense, this from a guy who has consistently told a pack of lies throughout the whole process that saw him get a half-arsed ban and a 6 month sentence. But it's okay because the apologists insist on saying how they're not defending him and don't go along with all of it. Oh ffs.

That piece of crap has had numerous opportunities for at least regaining some credibility. He could have told the truth and taken some responsibility for what HE has done. But every time he has come up with a load of bollocks. Vague apologies thrown in along with an extension of the persecution complex crap. He keeps digging a deeper hole for himself. The only trouble is this turd is going to get another shot at wrecking the sport we and millions of others care about.
Nah. We just enjoy winding you up Scaly. It's good fun to read your rants. :p

Jacknife

International Captain
They're not apologies. You apologise for your choices and your actions. You don't apologise for your stupidity or your supposed immaturity or your supposed gullibility. Those are statements of excuses in the guise of apologies.
Yes agree, during the whole thing I just felt he was apologising then he'd add a but at the end, there were just too many excuses and he big time played on the I'm only 18 and naive thing and it was all my friends fault because they tricked me, all the way through I just wanted him to man the **** up.