• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you play Cricket?

NikhilN

International Regular
Do you play Cricket or just watch it? I do both.I play for my schools team.I come in 3rd in batting and i am a good leg spinner

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legend, eh?

The end of a leg is only a foot.

I played for some 30 years or so, was a useful club bowler (more than useful on occasion because I played in a very low grade of cricket - like Lisa Simpson says, "Big fish, big fish"). Never got a hat-trick, though, not even at schoolboy level.

Came close to getting a trial with Notts once - the scout watched me take 5-28 then signed our other opening bowler (mind you, he could bat and he became a decent first-class cricketer).

My record with the bat is less than successful, although I do have 2 tons to my name, scored in successive matches. I was really a 'wham-bam' merchant, eager to make my contribution quickly before leading the side where it really counts - in the bar and on the dartboard.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
Came close to getting a trial with Notts once - the scout watched me take 5-28 then signed our other opening bowler (mind you, he could bat and he became a decent first-class cricketer).
Who was he by the way?

iamdavid

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
It's suprising how much FC batsmen bowl with success at lower levels!

The guy who captains my 3rd grade team actually used to play grade cricket here in Canberra with Micheal Bevan , they used to open the bowling together.
Then Bevo had some back problems so he switched to bowling leg spin.

He played for the very same club I play for , Tuggeranong Vikings CC , he's even got a Vikings profile.

Micheal Bevan's Tuggeranong Profile
(go to seniors / player profiles , Bevan , Micheal)

Most of the current Aussie team were considered allrounders in their younger days (beleive it or not , Glenn McGrath was a batsman , used to bowl 6th change in Narromine 2nds).

Last edited:

nibbs

International Captain
I don't play anymore, finished at the end of last year.

I was an alright player in my day. Made a few rep sides here and there. From the ages of 8-13, I was a bowler, who'd always pick up wickets. I've been a hatrick on numerous occasions, but I never quite could take the 3rd wicket to complete it. Until 3rd form (year 8 in Australia) I remained in a bowler who could bat a little. In this season I picked up career best figures of 4/8 off three overs against Auckland Grammar. A devasting spell which included a wicket with my first ball, uprooting middle stump.

The next year I unleashed myself as a batsmen. Most seasons I found that I could only ever amass just a few double digit scores. But season I went nuts with scores of 48, 2, 43, 17, 14, 26, 66, 36. Never before had scored in such vast amounts. I was easily my teams best player as I picked up 10 wickets to go with a tally of tally of runs. The innings of 66 was blasted off 40 odds balls and with reletive ease. It is the highest score I ever made.

The following year I played my highest innings, I made 53 of 86 balls in an innings which included 5 fours and 2 sixes. The attack I faced included this my team mates nicknamed 'Sam the Man'. I was 15 at the time and so was he, but he was really tall and had a hiary chest. As you can imagine he filled me and my team with fear. I faced many an over from him, hit him for one four, but otherwise I just blocked and left the ball. My first six was huge. My biggest ever shot. Down the ground there was an embankment, and I hit it all the way to the top :). The next six was a real surprise. I meant to drive it 'along the ground' through cover, but somehow it got air born and went all the way. None the less, I was eventually dismissed by Sam the Man clean bowled for 53. Still great memories from thart day.

In all I hit three sixes in my career. All treasured moments.

Yep ...

vicpride29

Cricket Spectator
Yeah i play 3rds at the moment. And also play for my school. Hoping to play grade cricket in the next 2-3 years as i get older and stop playing that damn hook shot. This might sound dumb but i keep track of every innings i bowled and batted this year.

Bowl-2002-03 Ave 16
Bat2002-03 Ave 19
Playing 4ths

Bowl-2003-2004 14
Bat-2003-2004 8
Playing 3rds so far this year.

I bowl medium-fast

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
He was the opening bowler? Looked more of a useful bat.
There's an immense gulf between the league cricket we were playing and county.

I went to watch John's debut (or an early match if it wasn't his debut) - and he was brought on to bowl second or third change by Sobers.

From looking sharp in league cricket, he looked decidedly medium on the big field.

He was a really good bat at our level too - hence a half-decent first-class career. Good organiser, he ended up vice-captain of Notts.

Blunderbuss

Cricket Spectator
:( No, I've never actually played cricket. We just didn't play it at school. It was football, or nothing.

Re. too old to play. I recall that Sir Patrick Moore was still turning out for his village side when he ws in his seventies. He isn't exactly a lightweight, either! What a great fellow.

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
I must be the biggest loser in cricket. I play for my city team for 3 years and have played countless matches for them. The funny thing is I have only batted 5 times and bowled around 8 times. I very rarely get an active part to play in the team. I love playing in the nets and am actually quite a good aggressive batsman, I destroy even the best bowlers. However my coach never acknowledges this and persists in making me bat at no. 11 below some of the worst tailenders. My bowling is fast medium and I am OK. The worst thing is, I have never fulfilled my potential when I get the opportunity. My batting average is about 6 and my bowling average is around 20 (only 4 wickets). My track record is bad so people always underestimate me as a cricketer. But one thing I like is that our team is the best in the league so I get loads of trophies at the end for making my insignificant contribution. 8D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Blunderbuss said:
:( No, I've never actually played cricket. We just didn't play it at school. It was football, or nothing.
That's sadly the way in many NE schools.
I never played at all at school in Morpeth, either. 'T'was a nice change to come and play it when I first moved down here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
There's an immense gulf between the league cricket we were playing and county.
Ian Austin played for some LL club the season after retirement.
He averaged 70. With the bat! Only Jacques Rudolph outdid him that season. Martin vJ and other high-profile names didn't match him.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
No - never played the beautiful game. Go to some Norwegian league games when I can to watch (1 out of 2 spectators), but I don't think I'll do well at cricket. I excel at doing particularly badly at sports - I was a defender at football for three years and probably made about fifteen successful tackles...can't run, can't move, have the arm strength of a colibri - always the spectator, me.