• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Auction Draft - Simple Format

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing with Walcott in the sim is that if one is allowed to keep him as wicketkeeper-batsman then he starts with an advantage over even the person who has selected the best wicketkeeper-batsman.

I shall allow you to keep him as wicketkeeper for voting, but not for the sim - otherwise it will be unfair for those who have better wicketkeepers. I can't simulate wicketkeeping ability, but can at least force all to have good wicketkeepers - so that the 'missing factor' of wicketkeeping ability doesn't turn out to be v important in the sim.
How is that less of an advantage than choosing Lohman or Bradman. Additionally he was a very good keeper, especially to spin and that is how he initialy made the team, as a wicket-keeper batsman. When Cricinfo selected their all time W.I. team he was one vote away from surpassing Hendricks for the starting position, and when the ICC was selecting their all time 11 last year, Walcott made their short list (of 10) for wicket-keepers as well. He averaged 40 as a keeper batsman, if u must, use that average in the sim.

Sorry to get off track, no bid for Dujon. Getting too rich.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How is that less of an advantage than choosing Lohman or Bradman. Additionally he was a very good keeper, especially to spin and that is how he initialy made the team, as a wicket-keeper batsman. He averaged 40 as a keeper batsman, if u want to, use that average in the sim.
Firstly, I shall use my adjusted average for Lohmann or Bradman for the sim, if I include them among my 120 players. So, how much of an advantage is to have them (if at all) will depend on their adjusted averages.

And the Walcott problem can be solved by not having him among my 120 players, if you want. Using 40 as adjusted average won't solve anything, because my adjusted average is adjusted for longevity too - and is much higher than the normal average for most of the top batsmen (including Walcott). 40 adjusted average will place Walcott with batsmen like Ashwell Prince and Asanka Gurusinha - I'm sure you wouldn't want that!

Lastly, another reason for not changing the rules now is that the draft has already started and the 1st player is a wicketkeeper and some of the drafters who have already placed their bids (and some who haven't) had the rule in mind. If Walcott creates too much controversy, the best I can do at this stage is to remove him from the list of 120 (if he's already in, that is).

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How about Andy Flower as wicket-keeper?
He was a wicketkeeper for more than 50% of his test matches, wasn't he? (has kept in more than 20 test matches too) So, he can play as a wicketkeeper if I include him among my 120.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry Weldone, but am I in? Wasn't included on the list...
I think you said that you'll play only on condition that I disclose the 120 names beforehand. So, I thought you weren't interested with the present rules... Sorry if I misunderstood your words...

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
I think you said that you'll play only on condition that I disclose the 120 names beforehand. So, I thought you weren't interested with the present rules... Sorry if I misunderstood your words...
Yeah, I'm interested. Was just indicating (poorly) that I think it's hard enough to build a reasonable squad even when you do know the list, let alone without it. I'm sure I'll live, though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm interested. Was just indicating (poorly) that I think it's hard enough to build a reasonable squad even when you do know the list, let alone without it. I'm sure I'll live, though.
Sorry, but will keep you as a reserve in case someone quits in the middle (or has a long absence from the forum)...

honestbharani, Cabinet96, Michaelf7777777 and Eds are the 4 reserves now.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Yeah, I suppose.

With only one player going at a time it wouldn't be overly difficult though.