• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

amits

Banned
*Official* VB Series (Ind,Aus,Zim) thread

with a hot discussion going on the ind-aus series and the TVS cup being over, i think this is the right time to start the series.

the series will be starting in less than 2 months from now.

any predictions ?

mine india will win it beating australia 2-1 in the finals.

Eclipse

International Debutant
lol it's a bit early amit's.

and BTW I know your a nice guy and all but did it ever occer to you that India just dont have as good a team man for man as Australia do and well all these predictions are well slightly insane.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Re: *Official* VB Series (Ind,Aus,Zim) thread

amits said:
with a hot discussion going on the ind-aus series and the TVS cup being over, i think this is the right time to start the series.

the series will be starting in less than 2 months from now.

any predictions ?

mine india will win it beating australia 2-1 in the finals.
:lol: :lol:

You are a very optimistic fella arent you

Just let me fill you in on a few figures

India have played 28 matches in Australia , they have won 3 of them. The last of those wins was 24 years ago (Kapils day).
Last time India came out here I remember the hype about them having 4 people who averaged over 50 in tests & they're experienced spin attack & how they would be ultra competitive.

I didnt beleive it , even at age 12 , mailnly because I knew India played on slow low surfaces.

Now if the India side of 1999/2000 couldnt do it then there is certainly nothing to convince me that the 2003/04 India side will do any better.
Sehwag will be found out terribly , his fault with the back foot not moving across is a schoolboy sort of thing , Lee/Gillespie will expose that as they did to Dion Ebrahim who has a near identical flaw.

Zaheer is simply not accurate enough to pose a threat out here.

Harbhajan & Kumble will get no help at all (except maybe sydney) & therefore will do nothing at all.

Patel is a poor batsman by international standards , the tail looks very long with him at 7.

The feilding is to inconsistent.

Only Tendulkar is a proven performer with the bat in Australian conditions , Ganguly & Dravid failed miserably last time , although they are better players now it would not entirelly suprise me if they did it again.

They have a chance in the ODI's I reckon , a slight one but still a chance.
Tell me Amits , if India cant win in their home conditions against an Australian team with its best 4 bowlers injured & 1 one of its frontline batsman , then how are they going to win against a full strength Aussie team on home turf??

They have won 26/73 ODI's against Australia , and 18/50 in Australia (lost all of them against AUS last time)

Also I think we should start making official threads about 2 weeks from the start of a series rather than a month or 2 , it just clogs up the board otherwise.

Last edited:

amits

Banned
the reason to start this thread early was that the india in australia thread was also started 2 months earlier than the series :P

the series starts on 9 jan and its already 19 nov.

also david, lets not discuss test matches here. use it for odi discussion :)

guys, i am not optimistic. its just that i know the full strengths of the indian team.

if u all claim that australia were weakened, then i say that india were also weakened. india were withough ganguly and nehra almost throughout the series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Australia had none of their bowling attack!

If India can't chase 236 against that at Eden Gardens I cannot see any way they'll make anything down under against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee...

iamdavid

International Debutant
amits said:
if u all claim that australia were weakened, then i say that india were also weakened. india were withough ganguly and nehra almost throughout the series.
Mate India are gonna lose:( :P

Fair enough , you los tyou're second choice seamer as well as you're captain/third best batsman

We lost

Our Best (arguably the greatest ever) spinner to suspension

Our no 1 strike bowler (second fastest in the world)

Our no 2 strike bowler

Our best seamer (the backbone of our attack)

Our experienced number 5/2nd spinner

Queensland seamer Noffke who would have played if not for injury.

So I think we were rather more handicapped there , yet even with the tournament held in India we won convincingly on all but 1 of those occasions.

I reckon the reason you are optimistic is that you are Indian (see the link , Indian team , Indian , Indian team , Indian:duh: :P :) )

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
iamdavid said:
Mate India are gonna lose:( :P

Fair enough , you los tyou're second choice seamer as well as you're captain/third best batsman

We lost

Our Best (arguably the greatest ever) spinner to suspension

Our no 1 strike bowler (second fastest in the world)

Our no 2 strike bowler

Our best seamer (the backbone of our attack)

Our experienced number 5/2nd spinner

Queensland seamer Noffke who would have played if not for injury.

So I think we were rather more handicapped there , yet even with the tournament held in India we won convincingly on all but 1 of those occasions.

I reckon the reason you are optimistic is that you are Indian (see the link , Indian team , Indian , Indian team , Indian:duh: :P :) )
Add to that Darren Lehmann and you'll find India have a MUCH better position than us.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mr. Ponting said:
Add to that Darren Lehmann and you'll find India have a MUCH better position than us.
When he said:

"Our experienced number 5/2nd spinner"

I'm sure he was referring to Lehmann.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
When he said:

"Our experienced number 5/2nd spinner"

I'm sure he was referring to Lehmann.
OK, I thought he meant number 5 bowler/2nd spinner as MacGill, but maybe you are right. Although we did lose MacGill and he is certainly more a 2nd spinner than Lehmann so I rephrase that

'Add to that Stuey MacGill'

PY

International Coach
Can't believe there's thread for this and the first game is 7 weeks away :rolleyes:

V Reddy

International Debutant
PY said:
Can't believe there's thread for this and the first game is 7 weeks away :rolleyes:
It would be better if we also start the Ind-Pak series thread which is only 12 weeks away :D :P .

I feel too that India has a great chance of winning the series. The other team is Zim and so India is pretty sure of winning 4 matches in league stage which means their confidence will not be so down as it was last time. Last time around India had only three batsman- Dravid,Sachin and Ganguly. Laxman was in horrible form and Martin and Kanitkar aren't that good. Sehwag, Yuvraj , Kaif, Badani , Mongia , etc,. are much better than their preceeders . Go India :D

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
We are going to belt the living bejesus out of India and has everyone forgotten that there is actually a 3rd team?

IamDavid i have 2 words for everything u have said. HERE HERE

Craig

World Traveller
Laxman is very inconsistant and they need to find some confidence from somewhere or they are gone.

The thing is I couldnt work out is that Williams and Bracken arent that great bowlers.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
The thing is I couldnt work out is that Williams and Bracken arent that great bowlers.
I have actually always rated Bracken as a ODI bowler , mainly because he has a good yorker (which is half the battle in OD cricket) & he certainly dosent have any trouble swinging it , even if he bowls the odd wide.
I reckon he is a better one day bowler than most & better than Williams in both forms of the game.

Williams however is generally rubbish , certainly agree with you there.

If you collapse against Williams then how are you going to do against Gillespie?:D :lol:

rajat

School Boy/Girl Captain
Bracken better than the inconsistent lee

I think it was for the better that someone like LEE didnt came to India. He would have been f..... by all indian batsman b'coz of his inconsistent line and length. sometimes i think that the so called GR8 bowlers(mcgrath, lee.), whenever they have to come to india, there is a injury.i think they are scared, as indian batsman would easily demolish them in INDIA so they make this excuse.

But this time it was for the better. australians were lucky that they picked the right kind of bowlers(Bracken is far better than Lee,mcgrath.

also if ur Dennis the menance(warnie) would have come to India. india would havesurely won the TVScup. reason: his 10 overswould have atleast costed 75 runs. :O