• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ReallyCrazy said:
the match at sydney india would have won if it wasn't for the rain.
yeah but the match in Brisbane Australia would have won if not for rain :P:P:P

its speculation and its pointless.... how do you know Waugh and Katich wouldn't have batted for another 5 days and made 800 each.....

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Good Job - Now go and tell your friend (Who accused Gangs of Chickening out) the no. of times Sourav Ganguly has promoted/demoted himself in this tour depending on his team's needs.

While you are at it - Please tell him how many times that Chicken (ponting) came out to bat at no.3 during his 3 test tours of India.:lol:

also a stupid comment - how many tests and ODI's has ponting played before he toured india the first few times compared to the tests and ODI's that ganguly has played before he came out here this time....

also i think you will fins that Ganguly was captain on thsi tour, ponting is skipper of the ODI team only for indias tour here..... so it was up to S Waugh where he batted...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
jamesryfler said:
Ok so India are vulnerable on pitches with extreme pace and bounce like Perth.

What's the beef ? Every time has an Achilles heel. Australia would be just as vulnerable on a spinner's equivalent of Perth e.g Galle or Ferzoeshahkotla in New Delhi.
Let's look at it this way - Ponting's TEST avgs. against India in India is 1/3rd of Ganguly's avg in Australia. :duh:

In ODIs - Gangs Avg in Aus is - 37.64, Ponting - 39.34 - Nuff Said.
:cool2:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
also a stupid comment - how many tests and ODI's has ponting played before he toured india the first few times compared to the tests and ODI's that ganguly has played before he came out here this time....
Ponting made his Test debut before Ganguly, so you cant complain about the experience. I think he had played around 40+ test before his last trip to India. Ganguly has visited Australia only twice, as compared to Ponting who has visited India at least 5 times since his debut. So you can't really complain about experience.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
yeah but the match in Brisbane Australia would have won if not for rain
Last time I checked, India took the lead in the first innings at Brisbane and our flat track bullies Dravid and Lax were playing well in the second innings as well, with Sachin, Gang, Parthiv still to come.

Gangs was the highest scored in the Test, Zaheer was highest wicket taker. :P

ReallyCrazy

Banned
sanz

yep well said sanz. I just saw the numbers

Ponting has played 7 tests in India with a marvellous average of 12.41

Ganguly has played 7 tests in Australia with a poor average of 38.41

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Last time I checked, India took the lead in the first innings at Brisbane and our flat track bullies Dravid and Lax were playing well in the second innings as well, with Sachin, Gang, Parthiv still to come.

Gangs was the highest scored in the Test, Zaheer was highest wicket taker. :P
yes but the reain had broken Australias momentum more than india's, and looking At australia's position in the 2nd innings, india were gonna need alot of runs - Australias 2nd innings had Waugh and Martyn going well with Katich, Gilchrist and the handy bichel and an in form gillespie (he did average 36 for the series)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Re: sanz

ReallyCrazy said:
yep well said sanz. I just saw the numbers

Ponting has played 7 tests in India with a marvellous average of 12.41

Ganguly has played 7 tests in Australia with a poor average of 38.41
and... Ganguly grew up with teh more difficalt conditions in india, playing pace and spin on the spinning tracks, ponting grew up on pace wickets without many spinners, hes leart alot about playing spin - pontings ODI average in india for the last 10 times he has played thers has been 42

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Why not ? India did bowl Australia out for 83 at MCG in 1981 with an injured Kapildev, Didn't they ??
A period when Australia were nowhere near the best side in the World - great.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
While you are at it - Please tell him how many times that Chicken (ponting) came out to bat at no.3 during his 3 test tours of India.:lol:
Minor point, but unless he was captain or coach, he had no real say in where he batted.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Calling Ponting 'chicken' clearly shows some mental retardation - he is renowned all over the world as a terrific and couragous player of the hook and pull......and he has been captain of the ODI side for a year, and I've never seen him bat at anything other than three.......until he takes over the reins of test skipper in Sri Lanka, it is irrelevant to discuss where he's batted in the test side.....

Ponting sat out the Perth ODI as part of Australia's normal rotation policy - Gilchrist, Bevan, Harvey, Williams, Lee, Gillespie, Hayden, Clarke, Bichel, hell, almost the whole team has sat out at one point or another........everyone would know this.

Doesn't Ganguly normally bat at three in ODI? Why didn't he in Perth? I'll tell you why - he saw the pace and bounce and thought "Not for me, thanks" - he has a heart problem.

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
ok stop crying every1...we all know ponting is better than ganguly...we also all know that ganguly didn't demote himself for any reason other than laxman is doing a ripper of a job at no.3 and dravid is the more solid player so a better choice to put in with 3 quick wickets down. we also know that ganguly's performance in australia is 2342343 times better than ponting's performance in india. we also know that ponting is more of a fag than ganguly (although its a pretty close call...lol)

Slow Love™

International Captain
jamesryfler said:
Ok so India are vulnerable on pitches with extreme pace and bounce like Perth.

What's the beef ? Every time has an Achilles heel. Australia would be just as vulnerable on a spinner's equivalent of Perth e.g Galle or Ferzoeshahkotla in New Delhi.
Exactly. And by extension, all the Indian supporters getting ropable about "arrogant Aussies" and how the judgement of how India performed at the WACA is unfair, seem to be overreacting. Look, it's acknowledged that India are weaker on these kind of pitches. We all know it. If I can say that, but also admit that the Aussies are weaker on slow, turning pitches, does that make me an arrogant Aussie? How exactly are these words going to be forced back down my throat? I don't see where all the defensiveness is coming from.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Good Job - Now go and tell your friend (Who accused Gangs of Chickening out) the no. of times Sourav Ganguly has promoted/demoted himself in this tour depending on his team's needs.
Many of your claims are just outright bizarre, but this one at least makes some sense. It's not fair to call Ganguly a coward for demoting himself in the order - we've, earlier in the summer seen him promote himself UP the order to protect Tendulkar, when he was woefully out of form and vulnerable to the Aussie bowlers, at a time when they had their tails up and were on top, and it seems he's never reluctant to throw himself in when he thinks the team needs him.

IMO Ganguly doesn't lack for bravery in the slightest. I do think he has recently had some problems with the short ball, and I'm wondering if he's having problems sighting the ball (and by no means was this restricted to Perth). He wears contacts on the field, and it seems to me that maybe his eyes are irritated or something at the moment, because he seems to be picking up those bouncers very late. He played the short stuff with relative ease during the tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, this has turned pathetic fast, on both country's sides.

Calling Ponting a chicken is stupid, come on I don't like the guy but he is a star. But calling Ganguly a wimp is ridiculous as well. I distinctly remember him coming out in place of Sachin on Day 3 at the MCG, he faced the music then. He was then hit in the head, went off, came back on and played some great cricket to race to 70 something before getting out. He's not a wimp, he knows his strenghts and weaknesses and he knows that Dravid has a better defense than himself, so Dravid coming out at 4 on Sunday was the best decision.

Stop turning this into some war of words trying to pick at each other's country. Arrogance on both sides is getting ridiculous. Blaming the flat tracks on India's great test series is even more ridiculous.

Back to the VB Series, Zim vs. India today at the WACA.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
Wow, this has turned pathetic fast, on both country's sides.

Calling Ponting a chicken is stupid, come on I don't like the guy but he is a star. But calling Ganguly a wimp is ridiculous as well. I distinctly remember him coming out in place of Sachin on Day 3 at the MCG, he faced the music then. He was then hit in the head, went off, came back on and played some great cricket to race to 70 something before getting out. He's not a wimp, he knows his strenghts and weaknesses and he knows that Dravid has a better defense than himself, so Dravid coming out at 4 on Sunday was the best decision.

Stop turning this into some war of words trying to pick at each other's country. Arrogance on both sides is getting ridiculous. Blaming the flat tracks on India's great test series is even more ridiculous.
Ok, that's a pretty good post, and a reasonable attempt at conciliation.
It is true (and I had forgotten) that he came out to protect Tendulkar in Melbourne - gutsy. But Melbourne ain't Perth, buddy.

And there is absolutely no doubt that the nature of the wickets helped India's cause greatly. No doubt. It's not ridiculous to assert that at all.

However, other than that, good post, well done.

Not much interest in today's game really.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Kenny said:
Calling Ponting 'chicken' clearly shows some mental retardation - he is renowned all over the world as a terrific and couragous player of the hook and pull......
Not to forget that he is also known as a pathetic and timid player of SPIN. As for the mental condition - Go back to page 70 and read your own post to find your own mental condition. :P

he has been captain of the ODI side for a year, and I've never seen him bat at anything other than three....
Then you have clearly missed couple of his matches as captain. Start watching his matches again. He has batted at #3,#4,#5, & #6 as captain.

Ponting sat out the Perth ODI as part of Australia's normal rotation policy - Gilchrist, Bevan, Harvey, Williams, Lee, Gillespie, Hayden, Clarke, Bichel, hell, almost the whole team has sat out at one point or another........everyone would know this.
Yeah - When you sit out of a game, it's the rotation policy, when we do it, we are scared, when you sledge, it is mental disintegration, when we give you back, it is unprofessional, When you cheat, it's honest mistake, when we make mistake we are cheats. Good going..

Doesn't Ganguly normally bat at three in ODI? Why didn't he in Perth? I'll tell you why - he saw the pace and bounce and thought "Not for me, thanks" - he has a heart problem.
No, he doesn't bat at no. 3. Gangs is an opener in ODIs. Why dont you check the VB series and tell us how many times Gangs has batted at no. 3 in last 7 games ?? Let me tell you, It's 1. Out of 7 innings he has batted at no. 3 only once.It seems to me that it was ponting who 'chickened' out because his performance at 'PERTH' has been pathetic to say the least, his highest score is 39 with an avg of 24.85. It tells us who is afraid of playing at PERTH.:lol: :lol: Chicken must have suffered a heart attack after john buchanan reminded him of his batting records at WACA.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
yes but the reain had broken Australias momentum more than india's, and looking At australia's position in the 2nd innings, india were gonna need alot of runs - Australias 2nd innings had Waugh and Martyn going well with Katich, Gilchrist and the handy bichel and an in form gillespie (he did average 36 for the series)
Oh sure - When you are bowled out, it's because of the rain, when we are bowled out it is because your fast bowlers have bowled well. When you lose a test, it's because you were given a flat track, when we lose a test it's because we can't play fast bowling. When your last recognized pair was on the crease, they were going to score lot of runs, when 2 of our main batsmen were still at the crease and 2 more were waiting in the dressing room, we were going to fell short of runs.

Really very good and honest analysis. No Bias at all. :rolleyes: