• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

Don Ricardo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Kenny said:

The flat track twins, Laxman and Dravid, were exposed, with Laxman not particularly interested in getting behind the line of the ball
Totally agree with that point.

Since laxman has been scoring runs there have been all these reports of him having an impregnable technique, which is a fallacy. He hardly ever moves his feet to cover the ball outside offstump early in his innings, its just that the combination of slow pitches and below par bowling have allowed him to get away with his technical deficiencies.

Its not that the WACA pitch was a batsmans nightmare either. It was fast and bouncy, but the ball wasnt seeming around or anything. Im sure that if Australia had batted first they would have put on a pretty big score.

The Aussie bowlers seem to find a bit of confidence seeing the ball carry through to the keeper, and im quite sure we will see them continue this impressive form into the finals.

Brett Lee looks to have finally found some rythm and confidence- as a result he bowled with extreme pace, good controll and almost unplayable outswing. He must have beaten the bat 20 times.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Just I hope (Being a West Aussie) the Aussies may play a few more matches here in Perth as it has shown to be one of the best pitches than the others so far...

Kenny

U19 Debutant
It was fantastic to see Gilchrist taking the ball regularly at head height and above from balls that were just short of a length!!

Eclipse

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
32 times. Out of 60.
I know it was insane.

It's hard to imagine that over 50% of his delivery's beat the bat and almost all of them were with the batsman in deffence.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Don Ricardo said:
Totally agree with that point.

Since laxman has been scoring runs there have been all these reports of him having an impregnable technique, which is a fallacy. He hardly ever moves his feet to cover the ball outside offstump early in his innings, its just that the combination of slow pitches and below par bowling have allowed him to get away with his technical deficiencies.

Its not that the WACA pitch was a batsmans nightmare either. It was fast and bouncy, but the ball wasnt seeming around or anything. Im sure that if Australia had batted first they would have put on a pretty big score.

The Aussie bowlers seem to find a bit of confidence seeing the ball carry through to the keeper, and im quite sure we will see them continue this impressive form into the finals.

Brett Lee looks to have finally found some rythm and confidence- as a result he bowled with extreme pace, good controll and almost unplayable outswing. He must have beaten the bat 20 times.
U havent seen Dravid hit awesome runs in New Zealand (the tour before the last time India toured New Zealand)

And Laxman, well he can play pace as well as most.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kenny said:
yeah, as long as the pitch is devoid of any pace or bounce!! :lol: :rolleyes:
Ya the pitches he played on this season and when he made the 167 were flat tracks.

The pitches werent as bouncy as usual but they werent flat tracks eiter :p

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Pratyush said:
Ya the pitches he played on this season and when he made the 167 were flat tracks.

The pitches werent as bouncy as usual but they werent flat tracks eiter :p
Mate, they were absolutely the flattest, deadest wickets we have seen in Australia for a long time. Even Brisbane!!

Only Melbourne had a little bit of life in it, and of course Australia won that test. I'm not saying Laxman is not a terrific player, he is - it's just that as soon as he and the rest of your top order encountered a wicket with pace and bounce, they floundered.

I think that is significant.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kenny said:
Mate, they were absolutely the flattest, deadest wickets we have seen in Australia for a long time. Even Brisbane!!

Only Melbourne had a little bit of life in it, and of course Australia won that test. I'm not saying Laxman is not a terrific player, he is - it's just that as soon as he and the rest of your top order encountered a wicket with pace and bounce, they floundered.

I think that is significant.
It was a one off I would say. The Indians didnt have gr8 pace bowlers. But Aussies crumbled too. Gilly and Symonds held the innings in the end.

Dravid is excellent against pace on pacey wickets. Tendulkar scored a century at Perth in 1991. I wouldnt say India would crumble against pace as easily as they have done earlier on tours abroad. It was a one off IMO and not significant.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
It was a one off I would say. The Indians didnt have gr8 pace bowlers. But Aussies crumbled too. Gilly and Symonds held the innings in the end.

Dravid is excellent against pace on pacey wickets. Tendulkar scored a century at Perth in 1991. I wouldnt say India would crumble against pace as easily as they have done earlier on tours abroad. It was a one off IMO and not significant.
You're right that it's insignificant in the sense that it's 1 one-day match and it has no ramifications really in terms of the Indian team's tour assessment, because they've barely had to play there.

However, I smell denial in your appraisal of the Indian top and middle order's vulnerability on these types of wickets. It's as obvious as the Aussie batsmens' frailty on spin-friendly dustbowls.

Still, it's nice to catch a whiff of denial and defensiveness on Indian supporters for a change, rather than Aussie supporters who think their side didn't get outplayed in the test series.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Still, it's nice to catch a whiff of denial and defensiveness on Indian supporters for a change, rather than Aussie supporters who think their side didn't get outplayed in the test series.
Obviously India hasnt been excellent of pacey wickets but they are improving. They wont be as miserable as they were in the 90s. Thats why I took the stance.. nothing of gr8 denial.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
You're right that it's insignificant in the sense that it's 1 one-day match and it has no ramifications really in terms of the Indian team's tour assessment, because they've barely had to play there.

However, I smell denial in your appraisal of the Indian top and middle order's vulnerability on these types of wickets. It's as obvious as the Aussie batsmens' frailty on spin-friendly dustbowls.

Au contaire, I do think we were outplayed for the most part in the test series - however, I am firm in my belief that the nature of the test wickets contributed to that......it would be akin to India preparing fast greentops for our next tour there.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Pratyush said:
Obviously India hasnt been excellent of pacey wickets but they are improving. They wont be as miserable as they were in the 90s. Thats why I took the stance.. nothing of gr8 denial.
Yeah, but you moved the goalposts (yes, I noticed). People are saying that on a wicket like this, they floundered, and they did. You're saying in defence that the Indians aren't as poor as they were in the 90's on pacy surfaces, but that doesn't really argue against the point that those who are saying they're significantly weaker on these pitches are making.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Kenny said:
Au contaire, I do think we were outplayed for the most part in the test series - however, I am firm in my belief that the nature of the test wickets contributed to that......it would be akin to India preparing fast greentops for our next tour there.
Hey, I totally agree, and I've whined about the pitches all summer. But there are those that think, even given those circumstances, that in spite of what we saw, the Aussies had the better of the Indians in the test series. That's what I was referring to (and they're out there!)

shankar

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
Not to take anything away from India's performance this summer, but I don't think a lot of people (in Australia at least) would have expected India to provide that much of a contest at the WACA, even with a less experienced Aussie side. Although they certainly gave them a bit of a fright at 3/37.
On the bright side, India won't have to play Australia in Perth again this tour. And they pretty much lucked out not having to play a test there.
I dont think yesterday's result means that the indians would have struggled if there'd been a test match at perth.They've played on great batting tracks throughout the ODI series.They couldnt adapt to the perth wicket quickly enough and kept playing their shots without any restraint. If it had been a test match they would have had the chance to adapt to the bounce.They might still have struggled or they might have played well...but yesterday was not a judgement on how they'd have played.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, but you moved the goalposts (yes, I noticed). People are saying that on a wicket like this, they floundered, and they did. You're saying in defence that the Indians aren't as poor as they were in the 90's on pacy surfaces, but that doesn't really argue against the point that those who are saying they're significantly weaker on these pitches are making.
Ok till India play a match in Durban next, there is no way of proving or disproving Indian batsmen will struggle a lot on bouncy wickets.

I have no duont though that the likes of Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman would play as well as batsmen of other teams on bouncier tracks. Sehwag is a kind of a slogger who would make the same amount of runs no matter what type of wickets. Yes some one like Ganguly might not be as comfortable and questions can be cast over the opener (Chopra played well though didnt score well but some one could still say he wont on the bounciest of tracks)

4/6 isnt bad..

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hehe it wouldn't surprise me at all if the next time india were out heer they played at teh GABBA, the WACA and the G

Kenny

U19 Debutant
shankar said:
They couldnt adapt to the perth wicket quickly enough and kept playing their shots without any restraint. If it had been a test match they would have had the chance to adapt to the bounce. [/B]
Rubbish!!
Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly were all out to tentative pushes at the ball, not 'playing shots without restraint'!!

Laxman in particular didn't want to get behind the line of the ball, and I could include Dravid, who scored, what, 8 off 38 balls or so?

"Playing shots without restraint' indeed!! :rolleyes:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol. What a joke, one bad performance by the batting team on a wicket they haven't played on in 4 years, and suddenly they are rubbish? Lee would of destroyed the Australian batting attack the way he was bowling that day. Indian bowlers are not used to bowling on bouncy attacks, so they weren't able to run through Australia (though they came reasonably close) like the Australians were.

Remember the first game of the TVS Cup where Australia collapsed pathetically against India? Why was that? Because they weren't used to the low bouncing pitches, but once they got used to them, and adjusted they prevailed. The same could be said about India (maybe not prevailing, but giving a challenge most definitely) however they just threw in 2 WACA matches out of no where, how are the Indian batsman supposed to adjust? To criticse the Indian batting line up when they have proved to be one of the best in the world, arguably the best challenging Australia's, is ridiculous.

These posts are becoming the same as the ones that were at the start of the test and VB series topic. Remember those? Remember how stupid you looked? Shall I quote?

Last edited: