• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series - Australia, India & Zimbabwe

V Reddy

International Debutant
Arjun said:
Yuvraj is not of ODI standard. Nobody of ODI standard would throw his wicket away the way he did. His selection was surprising. They had Badani, who batted very well when given a few chances. Yuvraj, on the other hand, is looking for quick runs far too often. I know this is a bit too harsh, but he ALWAYS gets out playing the wrong shot all the time.

With 4 medium-pacers, they had given the Australians an advantage before the first ball was bowled. I have to ask, why Agarkar, Pathan, Balaji and Bangar in the same team? Why are they not playing to their main strength, spin? Why was Karthik left out?
Yuvraj not of ODI standard :duh: what are you on about? He won us many one day games. I thought he played very well today. When he came in India needed 90 off 13 overs and when he got out it came to 30 of 5. Yuvraj is good on that shots which he flips it over the midwicket. I have seen him playing that shot many a time successfully.

I thought Bangar's was a poor selection. But 2 spinners on that pitch :rolleyes: . I think they should have played Badani instead of Bangar.

masterblaster

International Captain
Yep agreed,

Badani in place of Bangar, would've even won India the match in my opinion. Badani's slow left arm spin is pretty handy as well, if not they could've bowled Sachin Tendulkar or Virender Sehwag more than they did.

Bangar shouldn't have been in the squad, and it was entirely his fault that India lost the match.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I am currently at school, shouldn't really be on here, and behind the times.

Could someone fill me in, what was the result? I only saw Australia's 288, none of India's innings.:P

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
halsey said:
I am currently at school, shouldn't really be on here, and behind the times.

Could someone fill me in, what was the result? I only saw Australia's 288, none of India's innings.:P
India were in control at 4/257 with 4.2 overs left, before Yuvraj and Ganguly (82) fell in consecutive balls, and the rest collapsed from there to 270 a.o. Aus win by 18.

NikhilN

International Regular
masterblaster said:
HEY GUYS!!!

I just GOT BACK home from the MCG!!!!!

What a great night out it was too for me and the family.

The mighty AJIT AGARKAR bowled FANTASTICALLY WELL!!!!!!! We're very proud of his performance today!!!!

Sachin and Sourav batted fantastically, but it was that moron Sanjay Bangar who eventually cost us the game, as well as India's pathetic tail enders.

Overall, a top night out!!

Sachin kept on giving us waves from the boundary, it was quite good! And Ajit was a favourite amongst the crowd as well!
did you take any pics? if you did then please post them here

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
The question was not IF india would collapse it was just a question of WHEN.
Australia suffocating and finally strangling a chasing team in tight circumstances is merely matter of course.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Bapu Rao Swami said:
Pakistani fans feel this is their weakest Pakistani side.

I think this is a better team than they had in the last 5 years or so. They are very good in both batting and bowling which the preceding teams didn't have. They used to be very good in one and average in the other. But they are very good in both now.

I seem to disagree with you most of the time. But why the hell should India need not play with Aus? They are competing with them better than they ever had :rolleyes: and most of the time looked a better side. I know Indian bowling is poor but not as poor as you make it out to be . Either you are very pessimistic or i am very optimistic.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj not of ODI standard? what are you on about? He won us many one day games.
What he did ONE YEAR BACK against AVERAGE BOWLING DEFENSES does not matter. Against quality bowlers, even Hoggs and Clarkes, he has struggled. He can't play spin, why is he in an Indian team? These days, he has been struggling.

Bangar shouldn't have been in the squad, and it was entirely his fault that India lost the match.
No way, all the bowlers, except Agarkar (not a good sign) and Kumble (Why was he not introduced early) and also Sehwag (Only 2 overs?), were RUBBISH. Irfan Pathan was unlucky at that time when the catch was dropped (Dravid is a wicketkeeping MISFIT, he should NEVER pick up the gloves again, while the slip cordon looks WEAK without him, since he's a good slip fielder), but who asked him to feed the batsmen? And why Balaji? Why was he so keen on bowling short and wide deliveries? And why the wides?

The mighty AJIT AGARKAR bowled FANTASTICALLY WELL!!!!!!! We're very proud of his performance today!!!!
Don't expect too much from him. You can never tell what he'll bowl next. That he was the only one who bowled well is not a good sign, since it shows that India has no pace bowler of international quality. They need some new fast bowlers of the quality of Gillespie, Pollock and Akhtar, not some off-and-on bowler. I am VERY disappointed with Balaji and Pathan. They are much better bowlers than what you see of them.

I thought Bangar's was a poor selection. But 2 spinners on that pitch . I think they should have played Badani instead of Bangar.
As if to say playing even 3 Indian medium-pacers, let alone 4, on any pitch, against the Australians, is a good idea. They thrive on that kind of bowling, so it is obvious that there should be a different plan- play 2, or even 3 spinners, like in the good old days.

As for Badani, he should have played ahead of Yuvraj. India's former match-winner is now a weak link in the batting.

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
Wow, Agarkar really did something yesterday...so did Ganguly and Tendulkar. Too bad it didn't work out. :(

Bazza

International 12th Man
Arjun said:
I am VERY disappointed with Balaji and Pathan. They are much better bowlers than what you see of them.
Logic suggests they are as good as their performances, which means at international level, not particularly good. To be fair though neither has played that much and with a few more games maybe they will develop. India have Zaheer and Agarkar who have developed into decent bowlers. Don't forget they are missing Zaheer, Harbhajan and Nehra. Any side will miss three frontline bowlers - just ask Australia!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
he hasnt done any thing wrong till now in the one day side.
That argument doesn't work with the Aussie selectors though.

An unbeaten ton isn't enough to keep your place if there's someone who was injured coming back.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Marc will be over joyed that his hero AA has 4.
As he's the All Rounder in my fantasy team, I'm happy with 6 wickets at an eco below 4.5 - lots of points!!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bapu Rao Swami said:
England, SL, NZ, WI will fight amongst themselves for rank 5,6,7 & 8 !
Considering the results of some of these so called weaker nations against the "top" nations recently, I question how you come about that ranking.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
furious_ged said:
Who's to say he would have scored any runs without the stabilizing presence of rock solid Clarke?
And who's to say Clarke would've scored any runs without Symonds at the other end?

How on earth you give Clarke credit for Symonds' score I'll never know.

Next you'll be trying to find a way to give Clarke credit for Tendulkar's 300 without being dismissed in the 4th Test!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
by Mr Mxyzptlk -
I don't entirely trust hawkeye. In the 2nd Test between West Indies and South Africa, a batsman was bowled (can't remember who right now) and on hawkeye the ball was shown to be missing the stumps. Apparently the wrong ball was processed and shown. This happens all the time. Hawkeye is not completely computer operated. You need a manual hand to control it and such mixups occur quite frequently.
The height at which the bowl hits the wickets shown by the hawk eye is very suspect indeed. Thats not what I was referring to though. They show lines on the pitches and the decisions in question have had balls pitching on line with low height not given out. The pitching in line seemd to have been missed by the umpires.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Next you'll be trying to find a way to give Clarke credit for Tendulkar's 300 without being dismissed in the 4th Test!
well if clarke hadn't batted at the SCG 3 years ago and..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

lol, the key to batting well in ODI's in gerneral is partnerships, they both helped each other out, especially running between the wickets, which was brilliant.

Clarke and Symonds both played brilliantly the whole match, with bat, ball and in the field.

Harvey batted the best ive ever seen him bat (whoch wouldn't take much) and Ponting was brilliant in the field - the catch to remove Tendulkar was amazing.

India well, they should have won, Yuvraj and Ganguly were going along niceley before Yuvraj lost his head, than Ganguly - well to be fair to Banger, there wasn't a run there - Ganguly was a good chance of being run out by the cover fieldsman had they run, great effort to run him out still - feilding like that wins games :)

the only bad thing about the game was the number of wides by both teams, hopefully this will lower as the tornament progresses.

if this match is anything to go by we are in for 6 fantastic matches in this series between Australia and India (cant see Zimbabwe beating either side more than once, if that)