• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

salman85

International Debutant
I find it odd that he's labelled an allrounder.Hasn't really done worthy to speak of with the bat so far,but his bowling during these 6 matches has been brilliant.What makes it even more impressive is that he's done it against quality opposition,and not minnow bashed.Although the question is,can he maintain this streak?Surely he won't maintain an average of 13 with the ball in the future,but going by the oustanding start to his Test Career,is he someone who is here to stay?Or just an average player having a great time?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Hard to not bet on a guy who averaged 19 in the top SA FC competition for multiple years before being picked tbh.

'Flash on the pan' would be the last adjective I'd use to term him.

Spark

Global Moderator
I suspect so. Bowled almost exclusively on some decidedly helpful pitches thus far but given how prevalent those seem to be all of a sudden, to average 13-odd on those is kind of useful.

His real test, ofc, will be on flatter decks like Adelaide, Ahmedabad etc etc and on decks which require a different skillset to be successful on (mostly flat decks, but not universally - thinking the UAE decks we saw in the Tests vs England here).

But having said that - he's sharp enough, has supreme control, has a fine bowling brain, moves it both ways off the seam, conventional and reverse, gets disconcerting bounce... a lot to recommend him.

At some point he'll surely stop averaging 13 in Tests, but even so...

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
His bowling average will eventually normalise once he stops playing on friendly wickets, however his bowling to date suggests he will have an outstanding career.

One of the most complete bowlers in the game currently. He doesn't rely on a single attribute other than a great combination of decent pace, movement and bowling a wicket taking length.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He has timeless qualities as a fast bowler, the stuff that would make him effective in any era against any opposition. Much like Mcgrath in that regard. I reckon if he keeps his fitness going, he's going to end up with an awe inspiring record and probably leave Steyn gasping for breath, I don't think Steyn particularly enjoys playing second fiddle either :laugh:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He has timeless qualities as a fast bowler, the stuff that would make him effective in any era against any opposition. Much like Mcgrath in that regard. I reckon if he keeps his fitness going, he's going to end up with an awe inspiring record and probably leave Steyn gasping for breath, I don't think Steyn particularly enjoys playing second fiddle either :laugh:
'bout time cricket saw a proper high class ebony and ivory attack, tbh.

What, crossed a line there? :ph34r:

Ruckus

International Captain
His real test, ofc, will be on flatter decks like Adelaide, Ahmedabad etc etc and on decks which require a different skillset to be successful on (mostly flat decks, but not universally - thinking the UAE decks we saw in the Tests vs England here).
Philander's strength is his accuracy and consistency, and ability to move it off the seam. Aside from slight changes in length, a bowler like that isn't going to need to tamper with much to be successful. Apart from his moderate pace, his natural style of bowling should really be pretty tailor made for flat wickets imo. What I really like about Philander is that he tries to make the angles as compact as possible - he bowls very close to the stumps and his arm on release is almost completely vertical which results in a flawless seam position (e.g. Australia 47 All Out v South Africa - 1st Test - Cape Town - Fall Of Wickets - 720p HD - YouTube.)

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but bowling on flatter decks takes a little more - more stamina, discipline, but also the skill to bowl change-up balls like cutters etc.

kingkallis

International Coach
The way he makes the ball talk, yeah he will definitely end up being one of the best.

He swings the ball both ways and the way he set up van Wyk simply proves that he uses his brain.

It will be interesting to see how he bowls in England this year.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
and they lived together in perfect harmony....save for the time Vernon asked Dale to get his socks :laugh:
Lol.

Great start, but still too early to tell, as some has said, lets see how he does in different conditions. I have littke doubt he will be successfull, but lets just wait and see.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Going into a shell against him on helpful tracks is a death sentence. Its the same story as the one against Mcgrath and Pollock. Attack him, hit him of his length. The effect is quite obvious, just look at his performances in limited overs compared to first class.

This probably wont stop him taking wickets, but its the only real way to counter him.

Jacknife

International Captain
It's helped him that he's come into international cricket at his peak and has been in unreal form. The test will be when he runs into a poor patch of form and when international batsmen get used to him a a bit more, saying that the sort of line and length he bowls, nibbling it around and a bit of swing is always going to cause problems where ever he goes.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah it definitely looks like he's one of the bowlers where attack is the best form of defence against him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that he is intelligent. I wonder if this is his greatest asset as opposed to his movement and accuracy.

But yes he has to come down to earth soon and his average must climb above 20 at some stage.

Spark

Global Moderator
You know you're talking about the truly absurd when you describe an average of above 20 as "coming back to Earth".