Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

I find it odd that he's labelled an allrounder.Hasn't really done worthy to speak of with the bat so far,but his bowling during these 6 matches has been brilliant.What makes it even more impressive is that he's done it against quality opposition,and not minnow bashed.Although the question is,can he maintain this streak?Surely he won't maintain an average of 13 with the ball in the future,but going by the oustanding start to his Test Career,is he someone who is here to stay?Or just an average player having a great time?

This thread will keep getting bumped for many years coming.

Hard to not bet on a guy who averaged 19 in the top SA FC competition for multiple years before being picked tbh.

'Flash on the pan' would be the last adjective I'd use to term him.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

I suspect so. Bowled almost exclusively on some decidedly helpful pitches thus far but given how prevalent those seem to be all of a sudden, to average 13-odd on those is kind of useful.

His real test, ofc, will be on flatter decks like Adelaide, Ahmedabad etc etc and on decks which require a different skillset to be successful on (mostly flat decks, but not universally - thinking the UAE decks we saw in the Tests vs England here).

But having said that - he's sharp enough, has supreme control, has a fine bowling brain, moves it both ways off the seam, conventional and reverse, gets disconcerting bounce... a lot to recommend him.

At some point he'll surely stop averaging 13 in Tests, but even so...
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

He has the opportunity to be the second fastest to take 50 test wickets, and fastest post the 19th century.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/con...ds/283528.html

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    His bowling average will eventually normalise once he stops playing on friendly wickets, however his bowling to date suggests he will have an outstanding career.

One of the most complete bowlers in the game currently. He doesn't rely on a single attribute other than a great combination of decent pace, movement and bowling a wicket taking length.

State Vice-Captain
    He has timeless qualities as a fast bowler, the stuff that would make him effective in any era against any opposition. Much like Mcgrath in that regard. I reckon if he keeps his fitness going, he's going to end up with an awe inspiring record and probably leave Steyn gasping for breath, I don't think Steyn particularly enjoys playing second fiddle either

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    He has timeless qualities as a fast bowler, the stuff that would make him effective in any era against any opposition. Much like Mcgrath in that regard. I reckon if he keeps his fitness going, he's going to end up with an awe inspiring record and probably leave Steyn gasping for breath, I don't think Steyn particularly enjoys playing second fiddle either
    'bout time cricket saw a proper high class ebony and ivory attack, tbh.

What, crossed a line there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

State Vice-Captain
    and they lived together in perfect harmony....save for the time Vernon asked Dale to get his socks

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    'bout time cricket saw a proper high class ebony and ivory attack, tbh.

What, crossed a line there?
    Ntini/Pollock?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Ntini/Pollock?
    Chocolate/Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

His real test, ofc, will be on flatter decks like Adelaide, Ahmedabad etc etc and on decks which require a different skillset to be successful on (mostly flat decks, but not universally - thinking the UAE decks we saw in the Tests vs England here).
    Philander's strength is his accuracy and consistency, and ability to move it off the seam. Aside from slight changes in length, a bowler like that isn't going to need to tamper with much to be successful. Apart from his moderate pace, his natural style of bowling should really be pretty tailor made for flat wickets imo. What I really like about Philander is that he tries to make the angles as compact as possible - he bowls very close to the stumps and his arm on release is almost completely vertical which results in a flawless seam position (e.g. Australia 47 All Out v South Africa - 1st Test - Cape Town - Fall Of Wickets - 720p HD - YouTube.)

Yeah but bowling on flatter decks takes a little more - more stamina, discipline, but also the skill to bowl change-up balls like cutters etc.

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    The way he makes the ball talk, yeah he will definitely end up being one of the best.

He swings the ball both ways and the way he set up van Wyk simply proves that he uses his brain.

It will be interesting to see how he bowls in England this year.
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnodouche View Post
    and they lived together in perfect harmony....save for the time Vernon asked Dale to get his socks
    Lol.

Great start, but still too early to tell, as some has said, lets see how he does in different conditions. I have littke doubt he will be successfull, but lets just wait and see.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information