• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

Rasimione

U19 Captain
How in God's name the likes of Morne Morkel, Tsotsobe and Parnell got picked ahead of him for years is astonishing. He's as good as McGrath, but he's got a better outswinger as well. Sure he's got a bit to prove in Asia, and even in England and Australia, but he'll finish with 250+ wickets (if he doesn't get crippled) at an average of 20 or so no trouble.

While England had the most complete attack in world cricket with the likes of Anderson, Broad, Finn, Tremlett, Bresnan, Onions, Swann and Panesar, I would say Philander's arrival has pushed the South Africa attack ahead now, they have every base covered.

Steyn, Philander, Morkel, de Lange, Tsotsobe, Parnell, Tahir, Botha and Peterson.

Pace, swing, bounce, spin, consistency, wicket-takers, right-handed, left-handed and even a leggie. Bring back Paul Adams and they'd have a Chinaman too!

England's attack is sublime and most of their reserves would walk into any side in the world, but in Steyn and Philander, South Africa have the world's best new ball attack and their 3rd choice seamer, their spinner and even their 5th bowler, are far from weak links!

I'll still back England to win this Summer, but the job is twice as tough now!
Parnell is developing into a batting allrounder this days, and i think its going pretty well for him. However the guys that in my oppinion are gunning it at domestic level like Chris Morris are better than him. And as for Tahir, a guy called Simon Harmer will take his place eventualy. And to add my 2cents worth, you do not average 19 at domestic level if you are a flash in the pan for so long.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Not really, I mean Mohammed Asif and Dale Steyn have played county cricket and didn't do much. Philander might take it easy like Asif did when he played for Leicestershire or do what Dale Steyn did when he was at Warwickshire and just focus on the batting and score more runs than Jonathan Trott.
Think you can add Glen McGrath at Worcestershire to that list.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not really, I mean Mohammed Asif and Dale Steyn have played county cricket and didn't do much. Philander might take it easy like Asif did when he played for Leicestershire or do what Dale Steyn did when he was at Warwickshire and just focus on the batting and score more runs than Jonathan Trott.
My mistake.

The_roc

U19 Captain
I do, they didn't lose the test series or a test. What happened when England's attack was brilliant there?
When England played in UAE they were taking Pakistan wickets at 25 a piece. When South Africa played there it was 45 a piece.

Either England bowlers are by far the better, or somebody did something to the pitches.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think, SA, since readmission, have had a great one-two act but their support cast has never been something to shout home about, has it? England at present have four bowlers capable of picking up at least 4-fers on a very regular basis in most conditions. Having said that, Steyn, Philander (and Morkel, if he finds his mojo) are going to be much more of a handful in English conditions than anything they have faced since their recent surge.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I think England's attack is slightly > than SA's only because of Swann and Panesar. There's not much difference between the respective seam attacks. Philander/Steyn > Anderson/Broad but Bresnan/Tremlett/Finn > Morkel/Delange/Kallis.

Parnell and Tsotsobe are purely ODI players so they aren't in the discussion.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be really great to see some sort of World XI type deal where we'd see Anderson and Steyn bowling together with the new ball. On the right day, in the right conditions, would just be amazing viewing; especially if against some of the top world batsmen too.

Jacknife

International Captain
Would be really great to see some sort of World XI type deal where we'd see Anderson and Steyn bowling together with the new ball. On the right day, in the right conditions, would just be amazing viewing; especially if against some of the top world batsmen too.
Add to that, it would be awesome to see Broad and Philander in a 4 man pace attack, even in not so friendly bowling conditions they would be a real handful.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Add to that, it would be awesome to see Broad and Philander in a 4 man pace attack, even in not so friendly bowling conditions they would be a real handful.
If we're talking bowlers to 'watch' then I'd probably rather have Morkel and Finn.

Sparkley

Banned
Not a flash in the pan by any means.Genuine potential.RSA have a real shot at becoming the best side in the world soon, with his addition to an already formidable outfit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Philander's figures since he debuted can't be much better than Broad's in the same period (cbf to check so just throwing it out there)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Philander's figures since he debuted can't be much better than Broad's in the same period (cbf to check so just throwing it out there)
Broad started off terribly. 1 wicket in 2007 and 25 wickets at 43.24 in 2008.