• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vernon Philander - Here to stay, or a Flash in the pan?

Howsie

International Captain
I will vote for "flash in the pan" or at least a much lesser bowler than he appears now. All his tests to date have been on pitches helpful to him and I think he will hit a wall when he bowls on non-friendly pitches.
That Hamilton pitch was helpful to him? :unsure:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I don't think it's a coincidence that, so far, every pitch Philander has played on has been labelled as "bowler friendly". The man could get life out of a graveyard ffs.

OhhhhMattyMatty

Cricket Spectator
I'm not saying Tahir or Morkel would get in the England team. I don't think they would. But Steyn and Philander would and if your weakest links are Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir, you are in a very strong position. Add in Jacques Kallis as the 5th bowler too....

And while Tsotsobe and Parnell are hardly world-beaters, particularly at Test level, it's a variety England don't have and are unlikely to have for the next few years, unless Reece Topley or Tymal Mills suddenly burst through.

South Africa have the most complete attack, but England's attack is the only one in the world with the fire power to match them in all conditions.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steadily building an irrational hate for Philander. Who does he think he is, coming into Test cricket from nowhere and being all brilliant at it? Takes the piss. And he's overshadowing Steyn, which is annoying. And he's got ludicrous figures without actually doing anything ludicrous, he's just been playing well, which is dull and annoying. And he has a silly name.
Obviously.

FBU

International Debutant
I'm not saying Tahir or Morkel would get in the England team. I don't think they would. But Steyn and Philander would and if your weakest links are Morne Morkel and Imran Tahir, you are in a very strong position. Add in Jacques Kallis as the 5th bowler too....

And while Tsotsobe and Parnell are hardly world-beaters, particularly at Test level, it's a variety England don't have and are unlikely to have for the next few years, unless Reece Topley or Tymal Mills suddenly burst through.

South Africa have the most complete attack, but England's attack is the only one in the world with the fire power to match them in all conditions.
Parnell 45.40
Tsotsobe 49.77

Ruckus

International Captain
I've always thought since Philander came into the side, SA have had the best attack and will become no. 1 at some point soon (given their batting is also strong). To have two bowlers that are in the very top echelon is so invaluable. The argument that England has the best allround attack/side, and therefore were the top team in the world probably had some truth to it before Philander arrived. But since Philander's debut, that no longer is a strong enough argument to justify England's attack is the best imo. I think both Steyn and Philander are in a different league to any of the English bowlers, and no matter how well rounded your attack is it's hard to compete with that (especially considering when someone like Morkel is hardly a slouch). Of course all of that goes with the assumption Philander is actually the real deal, but there is nothing to suggest he isn't from what I've seen. Amazing FC and test record, and basically looks as good as his figures suggests...plus his nickname is 'pro'...what's not to love?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've always thought since Philander came into the side, SA have had the best attack and will become no. 1 at some point soon (given their batting is also strong). To have two bowlers that are in the very top echelon is so invaluable. The argument that England has the best allround attack/side, and therefore were the top team in the world probably had some truth to it before Philander arrived. But since Philander's debut, that no longer is a strong enough argument to justify England's attack is the best imo. I think both Steyn and Philander are in a different league to any of the English bowlers, and no matter how well rounded your attack is it's hard to compete with that (especially considering when someone like Morkel is hardly a slouch). Of course all of that goes with the assumption Philander is actually the real deal, but there is nothing to suggest he isn't from what I've seen. Amazing FC and test record, and basically looks as good as his figures suggests...plus his nickname is 'pro'...what's not to love?
Rubbish.

Even if you concede South Africa have the best 2 pacers, the rest of a composite top 10 is dominated by England.

Steyn
Philander
Anderson
Broad
Swann
Bresnan/Tremlett/Morkel
Finn
Panesar

Ruckus

International Captain
Rubbish.

Even if you concede South Africa have the best 2 pacers, the rest of a composite top 10 is dominated by England.

Steyn
Philander
Anderson
Broad
Swann
Bresnan/Tremlett/Morkel
Finn
Panesar
England still have a better depth, but the vast majority of the time that isn't going to matter. Sure England might have the upper hand (and still not by much imo) if Steyn or Philander are injured, but that's probably not going to happen very often. They will be SA's core bowlers for a long time to come, I suspect. You missed de Lange btw. Early days obviously, but he looks pretty promising.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The only thing that will stop him is attitude/want. The guy is armed with a great action, a bolt upright seam and good enough pace-bounce to be a threat. I know he's had massive issues with discipline and weight in the past, so he'll have to overcome that.

But someone who can dismantle a batsmen as brilliantly as he did to van Wyk will be around and dominant as long as he wants to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
England still have a better depth, but the vast majority of the time that isn't going to matter. Sure England might have the upper hand (and still not by much imo) if Steyn or Philander are injured, but that's probably not going to happen very often. They will be SA's core bowlers for a long time to come, I suspect. You missed de Lange btw. Early days obviously, but he looks pretty promising.
Yeah, it is.

Remember when Steyn had a **** series in the UAE?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think his performance for Somerset will really show how his international career is to pan out being that he will be playing on flat pitches, with a high workload and outside South Africa.

Is he going to be available for much?
Not really, I mean Mohammed Asif and Dale Steyn have played county cricket and didn't do much. Philander might take it easy like Asif did when he played for Leicestershire or do what Dale Steyn did when he was at Warwickshire and just focus on the batting and score more runs than Jonathan Trott.