Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Bowling Workloads. Food for thought?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

Bowling Workloads. Food for thought?

Cricket | Present day bowlers being killed with... | Stuff.co.nz

A nice short piece by Glenn Turner.

Are we really killing the bowlers with kindness?

Views?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

no time to read now, but yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

I also agree with a lot of what Glenn Turner says in that piece

U19 Debutant
    He makes some good points.

Someone hear mentioned that the number of injuries is directly proportional to the number of medical staff a team has.

At-risk actions ? I wonder if Paul Adams had an at-risk action ?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I don't have time to read the article either, but I think consistent bowling and building up some fitness with regards to this is better than trying to work out exactly how many overs you should bowl each guy, when, and how many games he should play before resting etc etc etc.

I know people are different, and some get injured more than others, but I think second-guessing everyone's ability to bowl regularly just because some guys break down isn't the way to go. The best seasons I had bowling injury-wise were ones where I was expected to bowl 20 overs or so Saturday and then back up Sunday for another 10 or more. I know that doesn't match a test player's workload, but I don't think being put in cotton wool helps.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

agree with your assessment.

I think too much emphasis is being put on managing bowler's workloads rather than actually trying to get them in position to be able to bowl longer spells

He goes on a bit about changing actions and can this be the cause, I think coaching good actions is a good idea.

But he mentions in the article 1000 overs per season in the old days, and that the bowling workloads are getting less and less.

The less overs per season would extend a bowlers career I think, and preserve knees and backs for later in life, but in week to week injuries the more bowling, the more hardened the body is and therefore probably a lot less of the niggles that seem to sideline bowlers constantly.

but that is what his contention is I think that bowlers used to bowl more overs per season and seemed to be quite fit compared to what they are now

yeah I'm agreeing with that bit. He also asks is all the biomechanical stuff a good idea in terms of modelling actions, I say probably.

I am not sure how developed a science bio-mechanics is tbh

seen more breakdown of bowlers since it started intruding into cricket (cbf checking it)

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    yeah I'm agreeing with that bit. He also asks is all the biomechanical stuff a good idea in terms of modelling actions, I say probably.
    I wonder does it depend on when you decide to change the bowler's action too? I'd imagine early intervention and getting a good action from the outset (or near to) would be preferable to trying to change things around in the mid to late teens.

If you're lucky enough to have an action similar to McGrath's then you don't really have to worry too much.

State Vice-Captain
    Agree 100%, If you're weak at squatting, find technical faults, eliminate them, and keep squatting. Going over to the smith machine or substituting squats with leg presses doesn't help fix anything; the body has a way of self correction and discovering its groove through repetition.

Thread Information