Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Official* Match/Spot Fixing News Thread

International Debutant salman85's Avatar

*Official* Match/Spot Fixing News Thread

ICC to probe fresh match-fixing allegations - Hindustan Times

I for one thought the semifinal had no hint of match fixing at all.It would be shocking if some dirt is discovered from that match.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    That some English county fixtures are dodgy isn't, sadly, the greatest surprise. As the Indian bookmaker "source" quoted in the article suggests they are much more likely to fly under the anti-corruption bods' radar than higher profile internationals and, if they're televised, there will be a market for them.

The average county pro earns a pittance compared to internationals too (I think I read Westfield was on about 20k PA), so is more likely to have his head turned by the blandishments offered. This doesn't in any way excuse his actions, but it does explain them to some extent.

At some points of our summer Sky broadcast what seems like a game a day, so if these are also carried in India the potential for betting in-play is huge, as it also is for illegal betting's even dodgier brother match/spot fixing to cling onto its coattails.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

I read the report in today's Sunday Times.

Struck me as very vague aand, wiithout names, nothing new - and nothing the ICC weren't alert to (the 'Bollywood Star' for example).

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    That some English county fixtures are dodgy isn't, sadly, the greatest surprise. As the Indian bookmaker "source" quoted in the article suggests they are much more likely to fly under the anti-corruption bods' radar than higher profile internationals and, if they're televised, there will be a market for them.

The average county pro earns a pittance compared to internationals too (I think I read Westfield was on about 20k PA), so is more likely to have his head turned by the blandishments offered. This doesn't in any way excuse his actions, but it does explain them to some extent.

At some points of our summer Sky broadcast what seems like a game a day, so if these are also carried in India the potential for betting in-play is huge, as it also is for illegal betting's even dodgier brother match/spot fixing to cling onto its coattails.
    I think as part of the Sky contract the ECB have to schedule the county season so there is always a game on a day.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar

Two New Zealand International Players Implicated in Match Fixing

Kiwis in cricket match-fix claims - National - NZ Herald News

NZC and NZPA are rubbishing the allegations, and I hope they're right, but it sounds very bad if they do have video footage...
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

India is the problem here. Until their gambling industry is legitimate and above board then this sort of **** will always be in the news.

What cricket can do about an Indian problem is beyond me.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    A genuine question here. How would legitimizing betting on cricket remove match-fixing? Don't we have similar troubles with other sports where illegal betting is not a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    A genuine question here. How would legitimizing betting on cricket remove match-fixing? Don't we have similar troubles with other sports where illegal betting is not a problem?
    Such as?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    At the simplest level it would make potentially nefarious betting activity easier to spot.

In the UK at least quite often one sees reports of betting being suspended on a particular match or race because of "unusual" betting patterns. Wayne Rooney's father was famously arrested on suspicion of being part of a betting scam, detected in part because of the irregular betting patterns on the fixture concerned.

One imagines illegal bookmakers are pretty reluctant to share their betting patterns with their competitors or the authorities, so in the unregulated wildwest of illegal bookmaking match/spot fixing is less likely to be scrunitised because of the money changing hands.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Brumby makes a good point. If I was a bookie and I had someone splashing big cash on unusual things, such as no balls, extras etc...I'd report it. Wouldn't be so keen if I was owner of an illegal company though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

The owner of the illegal company would probably be inclined to just break the client's kneecaps, though.
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

I decided to merge some threads that were discussing various match/spot fixing news. What a sad development that there's even a need to create an Official thread for such news.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    India is the problem here. Until their gambling industry is legitimate and above board then this sort of **** will always be in the news.

What cricket can do about an Indian problem is beyond me.
    I don't think it's as simple as that. Gambling is legal in the US and there have still been plenty of scandals. Legendary baseball player Pete Rose was banned for life for betting on games that he managed (he of course denies that). NBA referee Tim Donaghy was jailed for participating in illegal betting on games that he refereed (his officiating was influenced by the bets he had on the game). In the 1990's, both the New York Times and Sports Illustrated published reports that college sports was rampant with illegal gambling, including players being involved in spot/match fixing.

Like I said, it's too simplistic to say that regulating the Indian gambling industry will fix this. As long as there is sports, there will be people gambling on matches. As long as there is gambling, there will be match fixing. There's no easy solution to this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I don't think it's as simple as that. Gambling is legal in the US and there have still been plenty of scandals. Legendary baseball player Pete Rose was banned for life for betting on games that he managed (he of course denies that). NBA referee Tim Donaghy was jailed for participating in illegal betting on games that he refereed (his officiating was influenced by the bets he had on the game). In the 1990's, both the New York Times and Sports Illustrated published reports that college sports was rampant with illegal gambling, including players being involved in spot/match fixing.

Like I said, it's too simplistic to say that regulating the Indian gambling industry will fix this. As long as there is sports, there will be people gambling on matches. As long as there is gambling, there will be match fixing. There's no easy solution to this problem.
    Simplistic yes, but I don't think you can seriously argue that India's illicit gambling industry is anything but the huge elephant in the room.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    If it's legal, it can be taxed which in turn can pay for anti-corruption systems. It's pretty simple stuff really. Prohibition doesn't work in general and if it's above board it can be regulated, controlled and earn the government of the time money to ensure ethical behaviour. In such circumstances, the lunatic fringe are marginalised - but obviously not eradicated. There's a world-wide system of interaction between legal bookmakers that helps identify irregular patterns of betting. For example, the supposed rigging of first stoppage in an NRL game was traced in NZ as well as Australia as it's in the bookie's best interests to stop such shenanigans - obviously.

Whilst I agree, this is not a solution - it significantly reduces illegal betting and thus match fixing.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information