• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BOUCHER: The last proper KEEPER-batsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't call Healy a "great" of the game, and nor would I call Boucher one either. A really good keeper-batsman; a contribution similar to a Kirsten or Thorpe to SA cricket (from a playing perspective).

Would probably have him and Healy on level pegging - rate Boucher's batting a bit higher, and Healy's keeping above Boucher's, mainly due to him having been tested keeping to big turning spin over a long period.
Really? I think Ian Healy was the best wicketkeeper to play tests for Australia that I can remember. Obviously not the batsman Gilly was, but I'd still regard him as a great player of the game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We in NZ have invented the /. It's when someone isn't really a wicketkeeper nor a batsman, like BJ Watling. Bats at seven, hadn't kept for his province for years.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Meh, the doubters can doubt but his record speaks for itself. Highest number of catches in history, a record that will not be matched for at least a decade or 2, if ever. Missed 3 tests in the last 13 years and that only because someone high up thought he had become a bit uppity. He's been unchallenged for almost all that time and has dominated to such an extent that most of his competition actually emigrated than even bother to stick around to try to dislodge him.

Maybe he didn't stump as much or as well, but he had nothing to work with in that regard. He's kept for some of the best quicks around and did almost everything asked of him. He may have overstayed his welcome by a year or so but I think after England SA will struggle for a bit. Thami's got some huge shoes to fill.
His record says two things: (i) fantastic longevity; (ii) no competition

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Would take Jack Russell over him any day of the week, far better keeper and much less in it with the bat then you'd think.

JBMAC

State Captain
Surprised to see Bert Oldfield at #8 JB, and indeed old Iron Gloves in the top 5 - how do you rate Jack Russell?
With Oldfield trusting my late Dad on that one.Always rated him very high claimed he was as good as if not better than Tallon.With regards to Russell, only saw him once(The Gabba) and the aussies trounced the poms by 10 wickets so hard to judge. From what I recall though he was tidy.

No Healy, Dujon or yes Gilchrist. I have seen Boucher and I would rank all three ahead of him not to mention Deryck Murry. Gilchrist gets a bum rap, but to keep to Warne all of those years could not heve been easy. Boucher was adequate at best to spin and good standing back. Sangakkara as well to be was on par as a keeper alone with Boucher.
Yes Healy kept to Warne and he was tidy but those chosen above him were far better.Dujon had too many "off days" for my liking and was too inconsistent.Gilly rewrote the book on keeping by sheer weight of runs turning the position into Batsmen/Keeper.As for Sagakkara he is a more stylish batsman than keeper...can be erratic at crucial times as a keeper.

Btw JB, Was speaking to an older gentleman the other day who had seen Walcott keep and he said that he was actually quite good to the spinners and better that reported standing Back and the only reason he gave up the gloves was because of his back, not performance. I know that by '51 he had given up the gloves, but did u get a chance to see him at all or what was the word on him as a keeper back then?
I did not see him(Walcott) keep wickets so am not in a position to judge sorry

Would take Jack Russell over him any day of the week, far better keeper and much less in it with the bat then you'd think.
See above for Jack Russell

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
With Oldfield trusting my late Dad on that one.Always rated him very high claimed he was as good as if not better than Tallon.With regards to Russell, only saw him once(The Gabba) and the aussies trounced the poms by 10 wickets so hard to judge. From what I recall though he was tidy.

I did not see him(Walcott) keep wickets so am not in a position to judge sorry

See above for Jack Russell
Thanks again JB for your input.