Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who've watched live cricket throughout 1990's, how good was Donald?

Banned

Those who've watched live cricket throughout 1990's, how good was Donald?

I know he's a good bowler, but how good was he compared to his 1990's competitors - Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh and Mcgrath?

Warne in his list of 50 greatest cricketers gave him a very low rating and said that he buckled under pressure, how much truth is there in that?

Banned
    One of the greatest pace bowlers of all time and pretty underrated, really, maybe cause he's a south african. On song, he was pretty much the most exciting bowler in the world to watch along with Waqar, that huge leap before delivery was a thing of beauty ..
    The alarming ease with which he tore through India whenever he bowled against us was scary and his battles with SRT were wonderful to watch.

Warne's comments about him probably come from the fact that Donald doesnt quite have as great a record against Australia, the best team of the decade as you would expect from an ATG bowler. But he did produce a number of amazing bowling performances against them as well.

All in all, easily one of my favorite bowlers, and if i had to rank him among the bowlers you mentioned id place him just slightly below Mcgrath n Ambrose. For sheer pleasure of viewing, he's number 1
    Last edited by Satguru; 04-03-2012 at 06:01 AM.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    I think he was a notch below Wasim,Mcgrath and Ambrose,and the comparison between him and Waqar is debatable. Definitely qualifies as an ATG bowler.On song,i daresay,he was probably the most glorious one to watch among the bowlers mentioned on this page.Had the most fluent of actions,and in many ways,South Africa would not have developed into a power to be reckoned with during the 1990s and after had it not been for Donald.

Bloody scary when on song. He had a nasty brigade to follow him up with Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers, Schultz and Pollock. One of the best fast bowling quartrets of test cricket when Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers and Donald played together.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    I think he was a notch below Wasim,Mcgrath and Ambrose,and the comparison between him and Waqar is debatable. Definitely qualifies as an ATG bowler.On song,i daresay,he was probably the most glorious one to watch among the bowlers mentioned on this page.Had the most fluent of actions,and in many ways,South Africa would not have developed into a power to be reckoned with during the 1990s and after had it not been for Donald.
    I think it's pretty tough to compare Donald with McGrath and Ambrose. Donald was more of an attacking bowler than either of those two. On a flat pitch those two could keep it awkward with their height and not give anything away, and end up with something like 2-70 off 35 overs. Teams were more likely to get after Donald and give him 1-100 off 30 or something. But Donald was also more likely to tear through a few when not much else was happening. He usually had Pollock at the other end to keep things tight anyway.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Bloody scary when on song. He had a nasty brigade to follow him up with Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers, Schultz and Pollock. One of the best fast bowling quartrets of test cricket when Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers and Donald played together.
    Nah, really nah.

Two better than average and one great. Are you talking about Meyrick Pringle

Even if you mean Pollock, it's one great bowler, One very good bowler, and two just above average. I've no idea how DeVilliers got so highly ranked around here, dozens like him, IMHO.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    He was a proper, old-fashioned, fire-breathing quick. Complete box-office to watch; bowled as if he seemed to hate batsmen. His spell to Atherton at Trent Bridge in 1998 is rightly now part of cricket folklore. Strange to think that if we'd have had UDRS back then the test would've quite probably turned out completely differently. It also shows that excellence isn't always rewarded.

That said there's a case to be made that he wasn't even the best bowler in his own test side, I know a lot of batsmen (including, ironically, Atherton) rated Pollock as the better bowler because of his greater control.

I'd have White Lightening myself tho.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    I only ever watch cricket on delay so I can't help you I'm afraid.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Record on Foxtel IQ?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    VCR itbt.

I remember the days when I'd tape footy games on Optus Vision in the 90s.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Was my favourite alongside Waqar. Loved his action, his pace and his aggression. Always enjoyed watching him more than Pollock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Miss the good old VHS days. Would secretly tape WWE because my parents didn't allow me to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Miss the good old VHS days. Would secretly tape WWE because my parents didn't allow me to watch it.
    You secretly taped it to see Sable's tits didn't you?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    His spell to Atherton at Trent Bridge in 1998 is rightly now part of cricket folklore.
    Timeless footage that - cricket at its very best

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information