• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who've watched live cricket throughout 1990's, how good was Donald?

I know he's a good bowler, but how good was he compared to his 1990's competitors - Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Walsh and Mcgrath?

Warne in his list of 50 greatest cricketers gave him a very low rating and said that he buckled under pressure, how much truth is there in that?

Satguru

Banned
One of the greatest pace bowlers of all time and pretty underrated, really, maybe cause he's a south african. On song, he was pretty much the most exciting bowler in the world to watch along with Waqar, that huge leap before delivery was a thing of beauty :wub:..
The alarming ease with which he tore through India whenever he bowled against us was scary and his battles with SRT were wonderful to watch.

Warne's comments about him probably come from the fact that Donald doesnt quite have as great a record against Australia, the best team of the decade as you would expect from an ATG bowler. But he did produce a number of amazing bowling performances against them as well.

All in all, easily one of my favorite bowlers, and if i had to rank him among the bowlers you mentioned id place him just slightly below Mcgrath n Ambrose. For sheer pleasure of viewing, he's number 1

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
I think he was a notch below Wasim,Mcgrath and Ambrose,and the comparison between him and Waqar is debatable. Definitely qualifies as an ATG bowler.On song,i daresay,he was probably the most glorious one to watch among the bowlers mentioned on this page.Had the most fluent of actions,and in many ways,South Africa would not have developed into a power to be reckoned with during the 1990s and after had it not been for Donald.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloody scary when on song. He had a nasty brigade to follow him up with Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers, Schultz and Pollock. One of the best fast bowling quartrets of test cricket when Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers and Donald played together.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he was a notch below Wasim,Mcgrath and Ambrose,and the comparison between him and Waqar is debatable. Definitely qualifies as an ATG bowler.On song,i daresay,he was probably the most glorious one to watch among the bowlers mentioned on this page.Had the most fluent of actions,and in many ways,South Africa would not have developed into a power to be reckoned with during the 1990s and after had it not been for Donald.
I think it's pretty tough to compare Donald with McGrath and Ambrose. Donald was more of an attacking bowler than either of those two. On a flat pitch those two could keep it awkward with their height and not give anything away, and end up with something like 2-70 off 35 overs. Teams were more likely to get after Donald and give him 1-100 off 30 or something. But Donald was also more likely to tear through a few when not much else was happening. He usually had Pollock at the other end to keep things tight anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bloody scary when on song. He had a nasty brigade to follow him up with Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers, Schultz and Pollock. One of the best fast bowling quartrets of test cricket when Pringle, McMillian, de Villiers and Donald played together.
Nah, really nah.

Two better than average and one great. Are you talking about Meyrick Pringle:blink:

Even if you mean Pollock, it's one great bowler, One very good bowler, and two just above average. I've no idea how DeVilliers got so highly ranked around here, dozens like him, IMHO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was a proper, old-fashioned, fire-breathing quick. Complete box-office to watch; bowled as if he seemed to hate batsmen. His spell to Atherton at Trent Bridge in 1998 is rightly now part of cricket folklore. Strange to think that if we'd have had UDRS back then the test would've quite probably turned out completely differently. It also shows that excellence isn't always rewarded.

That said there's a case to be made that he wasn't even the best bowler in his own test side, I know a lot of batsmen (including, ironically, Atherton) rated Pollock as the better bowler because of his greater control.

I'd have White Lightening myself tho.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Was my favourite alongside Waqar. Loved his action, his pace and his aggression. Always enjoyed watching him more than Pollock.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He was as good as any of the pacers in the 90s and IMO people kid themselves when saying he is any less than the likes of McGrath or Ambrose.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Most of what I'd have liked to say has been said on this thread. Now that I think about it, he probably gave me more scares than any other bowlers. McGrath's modus oprendi was different, Ambrose did not have the greatest record against India and 2 Ws didn't play India at their peak. So yes, Donald made me piss in my pants more than any other bowler.

He had an utterly ***y bowling action too and as said before, seemed to hate batsmen. Was totally phenomenal in short and would have finished with even better record if his debut wasn't delayed by SA's isolation. Only fraction behind Ambrose and McGrath for mine.