• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who've watched live cricket throughout 1990's, how good was Donald?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't dispute that. Ambrose is among my most favorite cricketers and he did give a scare even though his record against India isn't spectacular. I was just contending that not finding Donald threatening enough is again a function of when he played against your favorite team, while others may have a very different feeling about that.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As strictly Indian fan, you'd have to wonder what's all the hoopla about Warne's ability to keep coming back and keep fighting. But you have to see what he did to every other opposition. Same goes with Donald vis-à-vis Australia fans. I disagree with rather parochial view about Donald's supposed lack of killer instincts that many including Warne have argued for. It will be more interesting to hear from SA fans if they perceived any such thing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Never doubted that Donald was a warrior, tbh.

Anyhow it's all been said about him here already. He was what fast bowling should be about: pace, skill, hostility, excitement and incredible watchability. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks his bowling action was a thing of real beauty. Whether or not he was as good or better than others is more or less a matter of taste.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
He was always extremely good, but never seemed to inspire the same fear as Ambrose did. Ambrose you always feared could just totally destroy your entire team, but Donald seemed more like the guy who could jag a few early wickets and maybe put you on the backfoot, but not win the game outright with an inspired spell.
Depends actually on which team you support. Ambrose had some great performances against Australia which might be influencing your view here. On the other hand because I support India, I remember Donald making me more nervous than Ambrose. On India's 96/97 tour to South Africa, Donald seemed capable of picking wicket with every ball. Most Indian batsmen looked like club cricketer against him It just seemed a matter of time before he would get them out, and he did mostly.

Agree with Ankit. I watched quite a bit of S.Africa against other teams and that was the impression I got. I would actually say that overall Donald was much more likely to destroy your team. He struck in the low 40s against pretty much every team bar NZ (50.5) and Aus (61.6).

Last edited: