• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Those who've watched live cricket throughout 1990's, how good was Donald?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most of what I'd have liked to say has been said on this thread. Now that I think about it, he probably gave me more scares than any other bowlers. McGrath's modus oprendi was different, Ambrose did not have the greatest record against India and 2 Ws didn't play India at their peak. So yes, Donald made me piss in my pants more than any other bowler.

He had an utterly ***y bowling action too and as said before, seemed to hate batsmen. Was totally phenomenal in short and would have finished with even better record if his debut wasn't delayed by SA's isolation. Only fraction behind Ambrose and McGrath for mine.
In some ways that was an advantage as he came into test cricket as the finished article whereas guys like McGrath had to learn on the job

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The Donald that burst onto the international scene in '91 was vastly different from the controlled, albeit as intimidating, version of '96 and beyond. He was always capable of extraordinary spells but refined his MO as the years wore on. Easily my favorite growing up along with Waqar.

McGrath on the other hand hardly seemed to have a settling in period; he looked like he was thrown out of a cookie-cutter from the get go. Truly a God among bowlers, and will go down, much like Bradman, as the gold standard for fast men.

smash84

The Tiger King
McGrath on the other hand hardly seemed to have a settling in period; he looked like he was thrown out of a cookie-cutter from the get go. Truly a God among bowlers, and will go down, much like Bradman, as the gold standard for fast men.
Errrr......NO

No way near so much better than his peers (or later and earlier generations) than Bradman was.

Jacknife

International Captain
He was a proper, old-fashioned, fire-breathing quick. Complete box-office to watch; bowled as if he seemed to hate batsmen. His spell to Atherton at Trent Bridge in 1998 is rightly now part of cricket folklore. Strange to think that if we'd have had UDRS back then the test would've quite probably turned out completely differently. It also shows that excellence isn't always rewarded.

That said there's a case to be made that he wasn't even the best bowler in his own test side, I know a lot of batsmen (including, ironically, Atherton) rated Pollock as the better bowler because of his greater control.

I'd have White Lightening myself tho.
This, I remember the first time I ever watched him play live and it was for Warwickshire in the late 80's and the guy was unreal, especially for someone like me who loved fast bowlers and this guy was fast and half. Didn't matter that he smashed Yorkshire out in what seemed like just a morning session, he became one of my favorite players.
I'd have him right up there maybe just under McGrath and Ambrose but to watch he was the best.

unam

U19 12th Man
well don't know about his bowling since I started watching cricket around 99 world cup time. But he definitely had one of the most ***iest bowling actions if not THE ***iest bowling action.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Along with Waqar was was favourite non West Indian fast bowler to watch, both were so aggressive and always going after the batsmen and going for wickets. For the era though would rate him just a hair below Mcgrath and Ambrose.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes plenty of stuff I considered when thinking about this thread has been said, but that spell against Atherton was an awesome passage of play. Remember showing it my mum the following day on VHS, she's not even interested in cricket but felt compelled to share it with anyone that would grant me the time.

Bowled with absolute hostility, at his peak his pace was electric. Certainly one of my favourite bowlers of all-time.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
donald is streets ahead of all of todays quicks and that spell against atherton was one of the highlights of test cricket history, pure theatre.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In some ways that was an advantage as he came into test cricket as the finished article whereas guys like McGrath had to learn on the job
Might have taken 500 which would've given him more points for longevity.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Steyn's SR is 40, Donald's 47. Averages are similar. Wouldn't say Donald was streets ahead of Steyn, in fact I think the two are both very similar in terms of speed, accuracy and canniness, and having seen a lot of Donald bowling I think Steyn reminds me a lot of him.

I think Donald is underrated though, because he bowled at the same time as Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, McGrath etc.

Steyn swung the cherry more. Donald was quicker than Steyn.

Steyn these days bowls around 135 kmph mark and cranks it up in short spells, while Donald was more like Brett Lee and bowled consistently at 145 kmph mark in Tests.

***iest Action? Michael Holding springs to my mind.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The guy could seriously bowl, but there were some little things that gave an insight into why he wasn't as universally feared as an Ambrose. When he got his tail up, he'd be a pretty frightening prospect, and was an equal of anyone in the world. There seemed to be the feeling that if you weathered the storm, then he wasn't as "relentless" as others. Even things like not wanting to take the new ball in ODIs helped to prick away at the alpha fast bowler psyche that the best seem to all have.

SeamUp

International Coach
The guy could seriously bowl, but there were some little things that gave an insight into why he wasn't as universally feared as an Ambrose. When he got his tail up, he'd be a pretty frightening prospect, and was an equal of anyone in the world. There seemed to be the feeling that if you weathered the storm, then he wasn't as "relentless" as others. Even things like not wanting to take the new ball in ODIs helped to prick away at the alpha fast bowler psyche that the best seem to all have.
Being a first change shouldn't be a major factor with the whole fast bowler 'psyche'. He still got the ball in hand as first change and bowled fast and agressive with relative accuracy and got 272 wickets at 21.78 a piece with SR of 31 and followed up after the good work of Pollock, Kallis or a Klusener or someone else.