• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
My thoughts on the Windies squad

Pros:

- Ridiculously powerful lower order batting. Don't think any other side can compare in that regard. Pollard, Bravo, Russell and Sammy are all monstrous hitters at the end of an innings.
- Excellent spin bowling from Bishoo and Narine should cause lots of problems
- It should be an excellent fielding side with lots of energy on display

Cons:

- Rubbish top order batting
- Rubbish middle order batting apart from Darren Bravo
- Fast and foolish pace bowling, no accuracy on display at all

Verdict:

4-1 Australia. We will win one game thanks to the spinners after some monstrous hitting from the lower order, but all the other games will be comprehensive wins for Australia where we will struggle to post scores of 200.

Mike5181

International Captain
Without Chanderpaul, Gayle and Sarwan batting-wise they look quite weak. It is good to see Dwayne Bravo back though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sqaud for the first 3 ODIs:

Darren Sammy (captain)

Denesh Ramdin (vice-captain)

Tino Best

Devendra Bishoo

Darren Bravo

Dwayne Bravo

Johnson Charles

Sunil Narine

Kieron Pollard

Kieran Powell

Kemar Roach

Andre Russell

Marlon Samuels
I tried to pick an eleven out of that, and just cried. There's no way Charles should be anywhere remotely close to the side so I tried not to consider him, but without him the side is really bowler-heavy. In fact it's really bowler-heavy even with him.

1 Powell
2 Charles
3 Darren
4 Samuels
5 Dwayne
6 Pollard
7 Ramdin
8 Sammy
9 Russell
10 Bishoo
11 Narine

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Look mate I would have no problem with Ponting getting dropped from the ODI side if they were consistent with their explanation of having done that keeping the 2015 world cup in mind, but guys like Mussey, Dussey, Lee keep getting picked in the side which just contradicts the whole theory.

Of course these blokes are doing well and are champion performers but at their age they are hardly taking Australian cricket forward and the selectors also realize that but I guess as long as these guys are winning games all that doesn't matter, but afterall these are the same set of selectors who brought back Hogg out of retirement to uplift the fortunes of the T20 international side so long term vision is least of their concerns.

As for Bailey he's hardly in a wheelchair he's 29 atm and going into 2015 he can form an experienced core with Clarke and Watto in a side that would have most of it's members in their early to mid 20's.
It's not inconsistent.

The selectors have spoken about the need to prepare for the 2012 world cup.
The selectors have spoken about needing some experience around the team.

So they've kept the experienced players that were performing, and dropped a player who wasn't performing; who is also more vital to our short term Test prospects than he is to our one day prospects and has 16 years of wear and tear from international cricket.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I haven't heard of Charles at all, but his stats are just dismal to say the least - and lollerz @ Tino Best.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Where is Lendl Platter Simmons? I would like him to open with the big 3 out. I don't think the Windies batting is THAT bad. Sammy and Russell can make useful contributions. You would think that Darren Bravo will need a big series if the Windies are to win though.

NasserFan207

WI have way too many bowling allrounders.

Where the **** is Barath, Simmons, Shiv, Braithwaite hell even Smith? I know the selecters hate Sarwan but these guys can't all be injured surely

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Barath and Simmons were both ruled out with finger injuries. Rampaul and Edwards weren't considered either for reasons I can't remember.

Beamer

Barath and Simmons were both ruled out with finger injuries. Rampaul and Edwards weren't considered either for reasons I can't remember.
Rampaul has dengue fever. Fidel is being rested/allowed to play T20's until the test matches start.

Charles is playing because he is from St Lucia, where the current President, CEO and captain all reside. It's not rocket science and it makes me sick tbh.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I tried to pick an eleven out of that, and just cried. There's no way Charles should be anywhere remotely close to the side so I tried not to consider him, but without him the side is really bowler-heavy. In fact it's really bowler-heavy even with him.

1 Powell
2 Charles
3 Darren
4 Samuels
5 Dwayne
6 Pollard
7 Ramdin
8 Sammy
9 Russell
10 Bishoo
11 Narine
There's no denying that Johnson Charles has an archetypal Windies crickter's name. That's got to be worth something.

Though, yes, it's pretty tragic to try and count the batsmen in that squad.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was Johnson Charles in the side for the T20 series in England last year or was it someone else with a gloriously Caribbean sounding name?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clarkeh should sit out the entire ODI series, even if they say he's fit. Tests have to take precedence. Same for Patto if needs be. I assume there are a couple of FC lead ins to the tests? He can use them for match practice.

FMD there's no **** left.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Clarkeh should sit out the entire ODI series, even if they say he's fit. Tests have to take precedence. Same for Patto if needs be. I assume there are a couple of FC lead ins to the tests? He can use them for match practice.

FMD there's no **** left.
According to cricinfo there's 1 3-day game to be played before the series, opposition and venue to be confirmed.