• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One thing I don't get about cricket

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't listen to any of this 'hand eye coordination' or 'catching is a technical skill' bull****, its nothing but pro-batsmen propaganda by people looking for excuses to maintain the system.

Revolution is coming though my friends.
I will join this revolution of yours. I like the cut of its rebellious jib.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy Anderson maybe.
Not a bad call at all. Averaging 11 and highest score of 34 suggests you're not far off a bunny, but he is an amazing fieldsman - anywhere for that matter.

Good point made above that it's not ideal having a guy in the midst of a long, hot spell going straight into the slips. So let's say Anderson is opening with Broad, he obviously can't slip to himself and you'd want him recovering at fine leg rather than third slip. Add to that the fact you want to build combinations - you want your slippers in the same formation time and time again.

FBU

International Debutant
Exactly. He has to be concentrating hard every single ball, someone has to fill in when he's bowling (and also a while after he finishes his spell because he'll be too tired), he doesn't have the luxury of drinks whenever he wants since he's not at the boundary, has to keep squatting and standing over and over again, etc. Really don't find the idea of pace bowlers in the slip cordon appealing.
It's not so bad for him standing in the slips to the fast bowlers. He can time to have a chat and move around while the bowler walks back to his mark. With spinners there is very little time between balls. A shortish batsman would be better fielding in slip to the spinner/s.