Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has DRS helped spinners the most?

Banned

Has DRS helped spinners the most?

I don't have empirical data to back this up, but my gut feeling is that most of the decisions overturned with the DRS system have been when spinners have bowled. This begs the question : has the system helped spinners the most, perhaps more than necessary? What impact would the DRS have had on the reocrds of the great spinners of the past.

I think it has helped the spinners most. I don't it's helped them "too much" though. It's just highlighted how poorly served they've been by generations of umpires in the past.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    It has helped spinners more, especially to batsment pushing down the front pad. It has also hurt some fast bowlers when the umps see how many ball bounce over the stumps. Just my personal obsevations.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkley View Post
    I don't have empirical data to back this up, but my gut feeling is that most of the decisions overturned with the DRS system have been when spinners have bowled. This begs the question : has the system helped spinners the most, perhaps more than necessary? What impact would the DRS have had on the reocrds of the great spinners of the past.
    What do you mean by this?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No, not too much. Use the bat. Too many batsmen got away with just padding up and it was a very negative style of play IMO. This is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I think it has helped the spinners most. I don't it's helped them "too much" though. It's just highlighted how poorly served they've been by generations of umpires in the past.
    Yep, spot on.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    No, not too much. Use the bat. Too many batsmen got away with just padding up and it was a very negative style of play IMO. This is good.
    SS just said spinners doing well is good

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Sig that thang
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    SS just said spinners doing well is good
    Step and fetch it still better than batsmen though - always been consistant on that point.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Kinda weird that until the DRS umpires never figured out that faster bowlers usually got more bounce than spinners?

Especially in Australia, the UDRS (and to be fair, probably the wide use of hawk eye beforehand made umpires realise this too) showed how many balls were going over the top, even when hit on the crease.

U19 Debutant
    It made a complete fool of Kevin Pietersen, I think it's worth every penny purely because of that.

Oh, and the spinner thing, I've quite enjoyed that. It's ironic that erm, some people, hate it so much when it appears to have aided finger spinners far more than anyone else, and erm, those people, are historically quite dependent on spin.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    Some of the decisions overturned have been a little too marginal for mine.I'm all for DRS correcting the howlers but I'm not too comfortable with batsmen being given out lbw despite being well forward.Too much uncertainty there.Either that or give every thing that hawk eye shows hitting the stumps out. AT least that'd be more consistent.

State Vice-Captain
    It will probably help spinners of Ajmal's ilk, ones that rely on slight deviations, more than the conventionally huge turners like Warne or Murali. I think their returns would've dwindled drastically under DRS.

Cricket Spectator
    I think that DRS has helped spinners hugely. Umpires are no longer reluctant to dismiss LBW appeals simply because the batsmen has a stride in, and this has forced batsmen to play with their bat rather than their pad. And this has increased LBW dismissals.

I have just started my own cricket blog, please feel free to view and comment.

http://outinthedeep.wordpress.com/

James

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information