• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst choke ever

Sparkley

Banned
In the last 15 years they haven't had a ODI side as strong as South Africa's.
I wouldn't dispute that but New Zealand have made so many semi-finals and lost so it isn't like they've been rubbish.Same goes for England if you don't just look at the last 15 years. What is it, 3 WC finals without a win or something similar.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but who wants to talk about England ODIs from the 1980s?

Are you honestly going to say that SA didn't choke vs. NZ (and NZ capitalised brilliantly when they realised they were feeling the pressure) in this year's World Cup quarter-final?

Sparkley

Banned
I'd agree that pressure played a great part in RSA losing that match. I'm not trying to suggest that RSA have never crumbled under pressure, or that they've never choked. I believe it's vastly overstated when it comes to RSA. One of the blokes who's posted above is seriously selling Sachin's last over short. That was one of the better overs you'd see from a part time bowler. Funny how people bring up that match at the first mention of RSA and big matches but choose to overlook chasing 438 in a decider against the then number 1 ODI side, winning a decider ODI against Pakistan after the match was virtually lost and of course the ICC Champions Trophy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd agree that pressure played a great part in RSA losing that match. I'm not trying to suggest that RSA have never crumbled under pressure, or that they've never choked. I believe it's vastly overstated when it comes to RSA. One of the blokes who's posted above is seriously selling Sachin's last over short. That was one of the better overs you'd see from a part time bowler. Funny how people bring up that match at the first mention of RSA and big matches but choose to overlook chasing 438 in a decider against the then number 1 ODI side, winning a decider ODI against Pakistan after the match was virtually lost and of course the ICC Champions Trophy.
People overlook them because they're all JAMODS.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah but who wants to talk about England ODIs from the 1980s?

Are you honestly going to say that SA didn't choke vs. NZ (and NZ capitalised brilliantly when they realised they were feeling the pressure) in this year's World Cup quarter-final?
They were thrashed.

South Africa are under-achievers, yeah. But I've seen "choking" get re-defined to accommodate whatever SA are doing so often that the word has lost all meaning.

Last edited:

Heboric

International Debutant
In the last 15 years they haven't had a ODI side as strong as South Africa's.
Well England have been playing ODI cricket long before South Africa got readmitted. Plus have you seen the recent record of the Proteas vs England in ODI's not very pretty reading if you are a Protea fan. Plus that line of "England is not a very good ODI side" I have seen this been used very often in retrospect as if to cover themselves when they bomb out of a tournament. But come tournament time a different song is sung, even now after the 4 - 0 whitewash 2015 is being talked up.

As Sparkley says that word is easily used when it comes to Proteas but when it happens to other countries their supporters use words bad luck or the like.

Anyway here is my list:

Australia vs South Africa - I think 93/94 Sydney Test match, it was worse due to the huge gulf in experience between the two sides. I think Proteas were defending 120 or something

That famous tour by Australia to India, that match with that follow on innings by Laxman and co.

England vs West Indies - that final in England - ICC Champs Trophy I think

51 All Out by England against Windies

England - 2006/07 Ashes - Adelaide where Collingwood scored that 200

India - That match where Michael Clarke took all those wickets - was it Sydney

England Lords 2008 . Granted they didnt lose but the Proteas were in such trouble I cant believe they didnt lose that match.

Australia - Australia vs South Africa - Perth and Melbourne. Yes South Africa were given a great chance before they arrived, but during those 2 games Australia got into very strong positions

India - Newlands Jan 2011 - I was at the ground, by the time I got to my seat we had lost three wickets and it was turning square. With a slim lead of 50 odd and 5 wickets down and the reputation of not playing spin, yes India didnt lose that match but they should have won easily thus taking the series. It was funny Smith got most of the blame as usual, but not a peep about Dhoni.

India - The recent test series' against England and Australia. Yes there bowlers arent great, but to lose 8 - 0 with the batsmen they have, the hype and being ranked number one and insisting they deserve to be number one.

Australia - Newlands 2012 - again the position that they were in.

England - The recent Pakistan series. I have often seen the choke term used when a side is overwhelming favourites and then lose. I still dont buy this line of not playing spin that they are using retrospectively. Plus bowling out a side for 99 first innings...

Oops and that 438 game

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
India - The recent test series' against England and Australia. Yes there bowlers arent great, but to lose 8 - 0 with the batsmen they have, the hype and being ranked number one and insisting they deserve to be number one.
Any team that builds up enough test ranking points and becomes no.1 'deserves' to be no.1. What should SA do to get there? learn2win home test series for starters.

Heboric

International Debutant
Any team that builds up enough test ranking points and becomes no.1 'deserves' to be no.1. What should SA do to get there? learn2win home test series for starters.
Ah the good old "Though shalt not dare criticize Indian cricket or else" response. :ph34r:

Where do i say that India didnt deserve to be number one, they were number one thus should have performed better in England and Australia.

Regarding Proteas - there away form counter balances there dodgy home performances of late

Shri

Mr. Glass
Nah more of a 'correct some wrong perceptions' response.:p

Stick around long enough and you will understand I don't give a crap about any particular side.

juro

U19 12th Man
I have a rough recollection of a couple Australian ODI losses. I think both involved Bruce Reid.

One was against England, and England needed something like 18 runs off the final over. Back in the day, this was viewed as nigh on impossible. Reid was our most reliable bowler. The game was in the bag. Was it Lamb who was batting, and he did it comfortably?

The other one was Australia chasing. Can't remember who the other one was against, but Australia only needed 1 or 2 off the final over, but Reid was on strike. He couldn't even get bat on ball. Of course, he was a batting bunny, but you would think he would at least be able to get off strike!

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand, 1991-92. Chris Pringle bowled it. Was a pretty average over too - should have been a wide in there, plus one or two full-tosses. Just Reid was awful. I wouldn't necessarily call it a choke, given he was such a bunny.

Choke can be a term bandied around too much, as well.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
The 1999 World Cup semi is what instantly comes to mind. While there may be bigger chokes, like the other day, the importance of that game pushes it over the line for me, when it comes to the worst.

juro

U19 12th Man
New Zealand, 1991-92. Chris Pringle bowled it. Was a pretty average over too - should have been a wide in there, plus one or two full-tosses. Just Reid was awful. I wouldn't necessarily call it a choke, given he was such a bunny.

Choke can be a term bandied around too much, as well.
Was Donald to blame for the 1999 Aus vs SA loss? He was a bunny. If he had remembered how to run, SA would probably have won...

thierry henry

International Coach
Re: Donald's choke, every time I've seen that it looks like there was never a run there and Klusener shouldn't have run?