• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye RT Ponting 'the ODI player' - you were a legend.

ganeshran

International Debutant
This is going to seem like a cheap shot, but I think this is part of the reason India aren't quite as good as they should be.
Not really. When I say better players deserve better treatment, I dont mean they should outlive their usefulness in the team, which is what you are implying.

I mean when its time, the selectors should let the player make the announcement himself and not unceremoniously drop them and brag to the media about how ruthless elite sport is, when they they have carried Punter through a mid 30 average for nearly 3 years now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not really. When I say better players deserve better treatment, I dont mean they should outlive their usefulness in the team, which is what you are implying.
I think one leads to the other to an extent, and it has implications beyond selection. Hero worship is for fans; not for players, selectors or administrators.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I said before, I think this says more for Ponting than announcing a forced retirement would anyway. If he'd come out and said he was retiring we'd all be speculating about whether or not he'd been pushed, which essentially questions his integrity.

Instead he's been dropped, which to me says a lot of positive things about the individual - that he was willing to fight to the bitter end, that he had faith in the system to drop him if necessary, that he'd always make himself available for his country as long as he was still wanted, and that he had enough respect for his fans to keep them in the loop officially. If he'd "retired" I'd have less respect for him - not that it should even matter in terms of selection.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is going to seem like a cheap shot, but I think this is part of the reason India aren't quite as good as they should be.
This would be true if the fans of India were the ones wanting the old-timers to hang around until they call it quits because of their past achievements.

But for 2-3 years we've heard about how Dravid should go, Laxman is called to be dropped every second year, and Ganguly was actually dropped.

So no, you can't extrapolate a Ganeshran's post and pinpoint it to India's underachievement for the last decade.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Instead he's been dropped, which to me says a lot of positive things about the individual - that he was willing to fight to the bitter end, that he had faith in the system to drop him if necessary, that he'd always make himself available for his country as long as he was still wanted, and that he had enough respect for his fans to keep them in the loop officially. If he'd "retired" I'd have less respect for him - not that it should even matter in terms of selection.
I think you are just trying to put a positive spin on things here.

I'd have the same amount of respect for Ponting regardless of whether he was dropped / retired. Its the actions of CA that I didnt appreciate. Anyways they are the custodians of the game and answerable to the fans in Oz, so their call.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This would be true if the fans of India were the ones wanting the old-timers to hang around until they call it quits because of their past achievements.
No; the fans of India are the ones wanting the old-timers to call it quits as soon as they pass their prime as to preserve their legacies...

HB has spoken at length about how Tendulkar-worship, and not Tendulkar himself, has a cancerous effect at times on Indian cricket and I'm beginning to agree, personally. The prevalent idea that players should be given taps on the shoulders speaks volumes, IMO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Firstly, whether people like it or not, Tendulkar is different to the rest because of the hero-worship for him. So fans wanting him to get a tap rather than be publicly dropped doesn't account for the other golden oldies.

People have called for Laxman to be dropped, not retire, for years. Same with Dravid, people were saying he should be dropped too.

I'm happy for you to say Tendulkar-worship has an effect on Indian cricket. But that is different to a blanket statement saying India underachieves because fans want their players to get a tap on the shoulder.

Also Laxman and Dravid were dropped from ODI cricket. Dravid had a random return last year and then retired, but before that he was just dropped for years. Not unlike Ponting being dropped (other than Ponting obviously being the far better ODI batsman)

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think you are just trying to put a positive spin on things here.

I'd have the same amount of respect for Ponting regardless of whether he was dropped / retired. Its the actions of CA that I didnt appreciate. Anyways they are the custodians of the game and answerable to the fans in Oz, so their call.
It's more just a general philosophy I hold, primarily related to how much I value longevity. That players are given extra points by some for "retiring at the top" and "not playing on for records" is absurd to me; if a player retires when he's still one of the best eleven cricketers in the country then he's not contributing as much to his side as someone who plays on at that point, and is inherently less valuable. It's an entirely personal decision and players should always retire when they don't want to play anymore, but I'll always have a little more respect for those who give as much as they possibly can until they are no longer wanted than those who retire on a high and leave their sides weaker for their absence.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'll always have a little more respect for those who give as much as they possibly can until they are no longer wanted than those who retire on a high and leave their sides weaker for their absence.
Interesting. What is your view on Warne?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interesting. What is your view on Warne?
He retired because he didn't want to play anymore. Can't really argue with that. I'd have rated him higher as a player if he played on longer though; as long as you deserve your place in the side and are positively contributing your team, you're enhancing the value of your Test career and improving your legacy.

ganeshran

International Debutant
No; the fans of India are the ones wanting the old-timers to call it quits as soon as they pass their prime as to preserve their legacies...

HB has spoken at length about how Tendulkar-worship, and not Tendulkar himself, has a cancerous effect at times on Indian cricket and I'm beginning to agree, personally. The prevalent idea that players should be given taps on the shoulders speaks volumes, IMO.
Pews, its not as outlandish a notion that you are making it out to be and has no effect on the game itself.

When selectors consider a player to be past his prime, a nudge is surely not that harmful? Especially when either way the player wouldnt play another game. It would have been a valid comparison if I was arguing for Ponting to play despite his poor form, which i am not.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pews, its not as outlandish a notion that you are making it out to be and has no effect on the game itself.

When selectors consider a player to be past his prime, a nudge is surely not that harmful?
It accomplishes absolutely nothing than speculation which tarnishes the player's legacy far more than a proper dropping would, and it promotes elitism, double standards and acceptable hero-worship within an administration. If an incumbent makes himself available and the selectors don't want to pick him then he gets dropped; end of. Doesn't matter if he's Ponting or Mithun.

pup11

International Coach
Hearing reports that Ponting would announce his retirement from all forms of international cricket tomorrow and despite being a huge fan I believe that's the best thing for him to do now, he's been a great player no doubt but I admire him for his grit and the pride with which he represented Australia and despite all the great players we have lost over the years he stands apart just for that reason.
Cricket won't be the same for me without seeing Punter in the Australian colours and I'm pretty sure his true value would be understood when he won't be around anymore.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Sad to see a great player like Ponting leaving ODI's. Remember some of his brilliant WC knocks. Hopefully he will continue his performance in Test cricket.

indiaholic

International Captain
Very sad to see him leave. He was one of the players I loved to hate.
But all in all very satisfied with the way his career has ended. The fact that he had to be dropped tells me that the hunger and self belief were still there and I value that a lot in a player. At the same time the selectors had a tough decision to take and they were firm in the pursuit of their job. Every actor played out the role that they had to.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We can agree to disagree then, but IMO, the notion that every player is equal and deserves equal treatment is both incorrect and impractical.

Individuals are what make the game a joy to watch. Why would I want to watch a Raina getting bounced out or Haddin attempting an idiotic shot every time when you have players like Lara, SRT or Punter playing majestically?

Better players deserve better treatment than mediocre hacks.
This is international cricket - no player is entitled to a place in the side.