• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Goodbye RT Ponting 'the ODI player' - you were a legend.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting he's been pubically axed. Most of the recent greats of the Oz team have been allowed the fig leaf of going under their own volition, even when one has suspected they're been retired (Hayden, Martyn, SR Waugh, etc).

Makes me wonder if Ponting was offered a similar deal but refused. Or maybe Invers is just made of sterner stuff than previous chairmen.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well both the Waugh twins were dumped pretty publicly from the OD team.....So was Hayden at one stage actually. And Martyn a few times in his test career. so uh

TNT

Banned
Interesting he's been pubically axed. Most of the recent greats of the Oz team have been allowed the fig leaf of going under their own volition, even when one has suspected they're been retired (Hayden, Martyn, SR Waugh, etc).

Makes me wonder if Ponting was offered a similar deal but refused. Or maybe Invers is just made of sterner stuff than previous chairmen.
McGrath was told by Buchanan his time was up.

Debris

International 12th Man
Just shows you what an idiot Buchanan was. McGrath could have played another couple of years and still been the best bowler going round.

Ponting may not have been the best ODI batsman of the last 20 years but he was the best when it mattered.

Sylvester

State Captain
Hard to see him getting his spot back in ODIs. Farewell to a legend of ODI cricket, the man that stepped up on the biggest stage on countless occasions. At least he got to go out as captain with a win.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's a bit funny, I remember recently in a presser he said he only took the captaincy after being assured of a few things, didn't name them but sounded like future planning type of things.

Anyway thanks for the memories punter.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Just a statistical snippet:

At his peak period of 50 matches (early 2006-late 2007), Ponting scored 2222 runs @55.55 with 7 centuries (90.73 S/R).

Averaged "only" 34.48 in his last 50 games with only 2 centuries, so I guess it was time to go.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Maybe giving him the captaincy was to ensure a decent farewell match. His average had dropped to just 30 in the last 2 years.

Spikey

Press conference 11am tomorrow, all over for test cricket too.
if he does this I will personally go over to benchmark00's house and kill him. there's just no way.

Today's news made me realise something - I don't know jack about Ponting's early OD career. Don't know if he was a slow/quick starter, notable innings etc

Spikey

i mean the presser is surely just 'yep imma retire from OD cricket. see you in the WI"

Ruckus

International Captain
Press conference 11am tomorrow, all over for test cricket too.
Surely not? I dunno though. I have mixed feelings if he does decide to do that. Given how bad he has looked in the ODI's, I reckon there is a good chance he'll go back to his bad ways in tests too. And it would also mean he goes out on a high. But on the other hand, if he does continue his good form in tests it would be absolutely invaluable to our side atm given the lack of other options.

Will be very sad regardless though if he does call it a day. Such a champion player.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was a natural one day player, was put up at three very early. Was a period where he wasn't playing Test, and was probably recognised as our best player, even ahead of Bevan.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Watching him in the one dayers was like watching him struggle in Tests over the past few years. In the past six months, he's batted within himself early, gotten in and hasn't tried to necessarily "impose" himself on the game straight away like he did when he was at his peak.

However, the nature of the one day game means that he has to go out there with that alpha-batsman attitude and take the game on straight away, and he's struggled again.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Surely Inverarity could have given a chance to Ponting to declare it himself rather than going to the media first. Unless Ponting backs himself to make a return in the side (and hence refused to retire), dropping him so publicly does not befit an ATG

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
you would hope he doesnt pull the pin on test cricket, but surely he will. why book a press conference to say you arent retiring.