Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 59

Thread: The Big Bash: Can Cricket Cash In?

  1. #16
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    *Sigh*

    So just give up on it then? You don't need a crowd the size of those at the BBL to make the Shield a success. The issue isn't just the Shield either. Junior cricket numbers are down, there are less people playing it. You have a new format of the game which has been a success. The issue is whether it's possible to turn that support into greater interest in playing the game and supporting it in general.

    Or whether you just give up.

    Does your local cricket have a 20/20 competition that lasts more then a weekend, has your local association promoted 20/20 cricket to get new players.
    If you nick it walk

  2. #17
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    13,011
    Given that:

    - CA marketed it to within an inch of its life
    - It had a first-year novelty factor
    - Drawcards like Warne, Hayden etc probably won't play next year
    - There is no window for the main 12 Aussie cricket stars...

    ...I think we should be careful not to overstate the popularity/appeal of it

    That said, it's good to see CA doing something to attract new young fans to the game

    As the article states, hopefully those young ones will stay with cricket
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

    - Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

  3. #18
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,407
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Does your local cricket have a 20/20 competition that lasts more then a weekend, has your local association promoted 20/20 cricket to get new players.
    It has all sorts of things. It is the biggest junior cricket association in NSW, probably Australia. Unless that's changed in recent times.

    I think you are well and truly missing the point of the article, or more probably just choosing to ignore it. I'll type slowly to help you out.

    The point is whether the popularity of the Big Bash can be somehow transformed into support for other forms of the game, and increasing player numbers, not whether you just bung on more T20 competitions at other levels. You seem to be in the "it cannot be done so don't try" school, which is fine. I happen to think they should try, and if people have any other ideas about how they might go about it, then I'd like to hear them.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  4. #19
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,407
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Numbers up here at all time highs ftr

    probably due to smart cookies escaping (or rather moving) the ratrace.
    Where abouts are you located mate?

    I think we hit the all time peak in our district after the 2005 Ashes series. At that point there were, I think, 21 senior competitions in the district, most of them having eight teams, others with seven. Now there are 15, all bar four of which have seven teams. So there's been a substantial drop off here.

    There's a real **** fight for grounds too, with the various football codes wanting to lengthen their seasons. The greedy bastards actually had their soccer GFs go into the first week of cricket this season, which meant there were eight forfeits in the first round of the various competitions. I know a number of the NSW associations are all pretty concerned with the way it's heading at the moment.


  5. #20
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Where abouts are you located mate?
    Gold coast. We struggle big time for grounds up here, but every year there are more senior teams, don't have anything to do with juniors but I had a talk to someone a while back who is and they reckon they have more players than ever.

    My club has 6 senior teams, 1x u10 & u11, 2x u12, 1x u13, 2x u14,u15,u17 - that's 15 sides. The biggest club here has 19 sides. There's 14 clubs. I think the population here is about 600k right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  6. #21
    TNT
    TNT is offline
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    454
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think you are well and truly missing the point of the article, or more probably just choosing to ignore it. I'll type slowly to help you out.

    The point is whether the popularity of the Big Bash can be somehow transformed into support for other forms of the game, and increasing player numbers, not whether you just bung on more T20 competitions at other levels. You seem to be in the "it cannot be done so don't try" school, which is fine. I happen to think they should try, and if people have any other ideas about how they might go about it, then I'd like to hear them.
    I'm sorry to be such a burden on your time Burgey, but I only think simple being a simple person.

    My point is if supporters and players want 20/20 cricket and its popular then why not give them 20/20. Why is it important to get people interested in 20/20 then try to get them do something they are not interested in.

    Its not a matter of it "cannot be done so dont try", it a case of its been tried and dosent work so try something different. People dont go to sheild matches because the matches are boring and too long.

  7. #22
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Gold coast. We struggle big time for grounds up here, but every year there are more senior teams, don't have anything to do with juniors but I had a talk to someone a while back who is and they reckon they have more players than ever.

    My club has 6 senior teams, 1x u10 & u11, 2x u12, 1x u13, 2x u14,u15,u17 - that's 15 sides. The biggest club here has 19 sides. There's 14 clubs. I think the population here is about 600k right now.
    Junior cricket is at an all time low, comparatively speaking, and declining overall though.

    I blame the parents. Kids are too soft these days. Weak ****s.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 19-02-2012 at 09:09 PM.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  8. #23
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,970
    more than likely MJ's fault
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

    With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

  9. #24
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    more than likely MJ's fault
    Michael Jackson's death shocked us all, no doubt.

  10. #25
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,122
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Junior cricket is at an all time low, comparatively speaking, and declining overall though.

    I blame the parents. Kids are too soft these days. Weak ****s.
    what are the numbers ****

  11. #26
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,585
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'm sorry to be such a burden on your time Burgey, but I only think simple being a simple person.

    My point is if supporters and players want 20/20 cricket and its popular then why not give them 20/20. Why is it important to get people interested in 20/20 then try to get them do something they are not interested in.

    Its not a matter of it "cannot be done so dont try", it a case of its been tried and dosent work so try something different. People dont go to sheild matches because the matches are boring and too long.
    Because the Shield is how you get Test players ffs.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    forever 63*

  12. #27
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    what are the numbers ****
    Does it look like I work at the ABS, ****?

  13. #28
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,407
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    I'm sorry to be such a burden on your time Burgey, but I only think simple being a simple person.

    My point is if supporters and players want 20/20 cricket and its popular then why not give them 20/20. Why is it important to get people interested in 20/20 then try to get them do something they are not interested in.

    Its not a matter of it "cannot be done so dont try", it a case of its been tried and dosent work so try something different. People dont go to sheild matches because the matches are boring and too long.
    I don't know that it is being tried though mate. T20 is a recent phenomenon. I don't know that administrators see it as anything but a cash cow, rather than an opportunity to parlay it into support for other forms of the game.

    What Benchy said about junior cricket is true. There's also the fact that kids' footy (whatever code) lasts about an hour. Even a T20 would last 2.5-3 hours. A lot of parents see that as a chore for whatever reason. Fmd, last week we practiced til six, and we had to hang around til 6.40 because one kid's mum was off at a school thing and just decided he'd be right to be baby sat theextra time.

    Ideally you'd tell her not to bring him next week, but then the other kids are down a player and the team suffers. It's a right-royal pain in the arse tbh.
    Last edited by Burgey; 19-02-2012 at 09:25 PM.

  14. #29
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    All Glory To The Nev
    Posts
    33,970
    well you monke...uh nvm

  15. #30
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    27,313
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Does it look like I work at the ABS, ****?
    Oi, we caught up during your lunch break yesterday.

    Jesus brings life eternal

    remembering the life of Phil 'The Prince' Hughes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Non Test Playing Nations (Fresh Thread)
    By laksh_01 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
  2. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 30-03-2011, 02:17 PM
  3. World Cup 2011 Fantasy Cricket - Ready for your Team!
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:37 AM
  4. World Cup 2011 Fantasy Cricket - Ready for your Team!
    By James in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •