• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Big Bash: Can Cricket Cash In?

TNT

Banned
I think you are well and truly missing the point of the article, or more probably just choosing to ignore it. I'll type slowly to help you out.

The point is whether the popularity of the Big Bash can be somehow transformed into support for other forms of the game, and increasing player numbers, not whether you just bung on more T20 competitions at other levels. You seem to be in the "it cannot be done so don't try" school, which is fine. I happen to think they should try, and if people have any other ideas about how they might go about it, then I'd like to hear them.
I'm sorry to be such a burden on your time Burgey, but I only think simple being a simple person.

My point is if supporters and players want 20/20 cricket and its popular then why not give them 20/20. Why is it important to get people interested in 20/20 then try to get them do something they are not interested in.

Its not a matter of it "cannot be done so dont try", it a case of its been tried and dosent work so try something different. People dont go to sheild matches because the matches are boring and too long.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gold coast. We struggle big time for grounds up here, but every year there are more senior teams, don't have anything to do with juniors but I had a talk to someone a while back who is and they reckon they have more players than ever.

My club has 6 senior teams, 1x u10 & u11, 2x u12, 1x u13, 2x u14,u15,u17 - that's 15 sides. The biggest club here has 19 sides. There's 14 clubs. I think the population here is about 600k right now.
Junior cricket is at an all time low, comparatively speaking, and declining overall though.

I blame the parents. Kids are too soft these days. Weak ****s.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm sorry to be such a burden on your time Burgey, but I only think simple being a simple person.

My point is if supporters and players want 20/20 cricket and its popular then why not give them 20/20. Why is it important to get people interested in 20/20 then try to get them do something they are not interested in.

Its not a matter of it "cannot be done so dont try", it a case of its been tried and dosent work so try something different. People dont go to sheild matches because the matches are boring and too long.
Because the Shield is how you get Test players ffs.

Burgey

I don't know that it is being tried though mate. T20 is a recent phenomenon. I don't know that administrators see it as anything but a cash cow, rather than an opportunity to parlay it into support for other forms of the game.

What Benchy said about junior cricket is true. There's also the fact that kids' footy (whatever code) lasts about an hour. Even a T20 would last 2.5-3 hours. A lot of parents see that as a chore for whatever reason. Fmd, last week we practiced til six, and we had to hang around til 6.40 because one kid's mum was off at a school thing and just decided he'd be right to be baby sat theextra time.

Ideally you'd tell her not to bring him next week, but then the other kids are down a player and the team suffers. It's a right-royal pain in the arse tbh.

Last edited:

Spikey

there's a pretty undeniable link between MJ dying and Mitchell Johnson turning to ****

howardj

International Coach
Has there been an increase in other sports at junior level in this time? I imagine soccer. Any other sport?
As my acclaimed Ashes Aftermath paper pointed out, junior sports participation is down across the board. Though cricket is down more steeply.

Kids are lazy, inattentive ****s, with no patience.