• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Solution

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Waugh has come out this week and said that entru to pura cup games should be free in order to get more peope through the gates, this has been shut down by NSW, QLD and Victorian cricket boards.

what do people think might solve this problem?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it should be free. But then over here not many people come to county matches. What's the point in charging money if no one is willing to pay?

Rich2001

International Captain
IMO If your going to do it though you need to do it at the higher stage (Internationals) Internationals is the shop window to game, that's what most people at least hear about, rather than 30 secs on the news at night maybe... So get people in to see the highest quality of action and in return they should get a liking for it and venture into the domestic side of things.

I mean turning up to a dull game that nither side is intrested in attacking is hardly a good advert to the game.... The season before last I went into work and finished by lunch time so thought I'll take a walk up to the cricket, the players came out after lunch and the wicket-keeper opened the bowling! - I paid full price to get in to watch the batsman bowl all afternoon, all because the opp (who had about a 250-300) lead didn't want to risk letting the kent batsman have a chance at victory :rolleyes:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can only speak for GABBA patrons. It is not the entry fee that is the problem, it is $6 for adults and $2 for kids (i think) and it is free entry after tea. Anyway, if you are associated with a junior cricket club Qld cricket give all junior players free season passes (its that way at my club anyway). The BIG PROBLEM is that once you step inside the GABBA everything is overpriced. It costs over $4 to have a beer and $5.50 for a mixed drink. Pies and chips are close to $4 and hot dogs are over $4. A 500ml coke is $3.60 and an orange juice is $3.20. These prices are absolutely ridiculous when you compare them to once you step outside the GABBA. If they want more people to come to domestic games they need to charge realistic prices for their food and drinks, trust me it adds up! Once you buy your lunch, a few snacks and a few drinks it is close to $20-30, otherwise you have to walk 15 minutes to McDonalds or KFC or 10 minutes to the closest fish 'n' chips shop which isn't always open. I'm glad I don't have kids otherwise I would have to take out a bank loan to go to the cricket.

Why do you keep calling it the GABBA? It's not an acronym.. If you're going to be technical about what you call it you should call it the 'Gabba.
If you really are from there you should know it's in Wollongabba.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I dont really know if making it free would make much of a difference , I reckon that CA just needs to promote the domestic game more in Australia , most people dont even know when the Pura Cup matches are on , there is just no promotion at all.

I dont think the prices are really a problem , a family can get in for under $20 , & if you dont want to buy the expensive food at the ground then go past McDonalds on the way or something.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why do you keep calling it the GABBA? It's not an acronym.. If you're going to be technical about what you call it you should call it the 'Gabba.
Technically it is called the Brisbane Cricket Ground but does it really matter if someone calls it the GABBA or the 'gabba.

And it isn't in Wollongabba it is in Woolloongabba get your facts right before you go picking through other people's posts!!!

Craig

World Traveller
The other altvertive is to bring your own food to the ground. The surcurity people couldnt care less, unless it contains grog or things you shouldnt bring into the ground.

Some times at the 'Gabba were they have family $1 days where the whole family gets in for a dollar.

If I went there by myself or with a mate, I wouldnt really care about the prices, but if I were a parent and taking children to the ground I would.

So sorry Mister Wrong, but I have a reason for inaccuracies about the 'Gabba. I'm not a Queenslander, which you might have gauged seeing as I can string an intelligent sentence together.

iamdavid

International Debutant
furious_ged said:
So sorry Mister Wrong, but I have a reason for inaccuracies about the 'Gabba. I'm not a Queenslander, which you might have gauged seeing as I can string an intelligent sentence together.

Be nice now people:) :rolleyes:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
furious_ged said:
What is it with you and picking fights? In case you hadn't noticed, this place is supposed be about cricket, not pointing out technicalities in other peoples posts and then getting abusive when they point out the same in yours.

If you don't have anything productive to add, don't bother.

I don't go around picking fights, Neil. I just have a low tolerance for ignorance.
And if I'm talking cricket at the same time, then I'm really not doing anything wrong.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
I don't go around picking fights, Neil. I just have a low tolerance for ignorance.
And if I'm talking cricket at the same time, then I'm really not doing anything wrong.
No-one is disputing your right to assert your opinions, but slanging is not going to pass without comment from others.

We've seen too many conflicts in the past and they can get out of hand (speaking from personal experience here). Now be just a little more tolerant, count to 10 and clench your teeth.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
furious_ged said:
Mate, I've not done anything wrong. I know how to not let myself get drawn into a slanging match.
ahem...

I'm not a Queenslander, which you might have gauged seeing as I can string an intelligent sentence together.
let's just agree to disagree.