• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that initially promised but eventually disappointed

Howe_zat

Audio File
Might be early doors, but Shaun Marsh is shaping up nicely.

Very brief period of promise tho, tbf.
Phil Hughes a related but more literal example?

Steve Harmison had both a swift and lengthy decline after being hailed for great things.

Ravi Bopara, Suresh Raina, Cameron White would be other recent examples of a more brief rise and fall.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If you'd asked 8 months ago I'd have said Stuart Broad, obviously things have changed though.

Phil Hughes, Ravi Bopara and JP Duminey are a few who come to mind, although it's not too late for most of them.

A few of the English seamers under Duncan Fletcher in 2006 haven't been seen since.

Would say it's too early to say Umar Akmal to be honest.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
As a one-day player he qualifies now but there is no way you could dream of classing him in this category for Tests
I dunno... the feeling being bandied around (by him?) was that he was going to be an ATG player, average well over 50, end up with all the England batting records... probably won't end that way.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dunno... the feeling being bandied around (by him?) was that he was going to be an ATG player, average well over 50, end up with all the England batting records... probably won't end that way.
Yeah but to call him a disappointment is a stretch. He could quite realistically retire as the record holder when it comes to England Test centuries. That's not a disappointment.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Suresh Raina sadly. When I first saw him bat as an 18 year old winning us games along with Dhoni in Pakistan, I was pretty sure he was going to be the next batting superstar. Dravid went on to say the same thing after he won us a close chase. There is still time for him to make do on his promise, but with IPL and an assured place in ODIs it is tough seeing him getting a chance to correct his mistakes.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah but to call him a disappointment is a stretch. He could quite realistically retire as the record holder when it comes to England Test centuries. That's not a disappointment.
I would argue that if we end up looking back on his career and thinking, "but there could have been so much more..." then he'll qualify as a disappointment, no matter how many Test centuries he's made (particularly so given that isn't a landmark of any prestige in English history: I'm a stats geek and a cricket tragic and I couldn't tell you who holds it at the present with any certainty - off the top of my head it's 22 and probably Gooch or Cowdrey).

It all comes back, like Kath said, to the immense expectations created, partly by the media, and certainly fuelled by his own ego, in the first 18 months of his career. Unfortunately, since then, it feels like there's been more hype than substance - the odd brilliant innings aside, what do we end up thinking when KP comes to the crease today? Does he give off an aura of permanence and class, or are we left praying that he doesn't **** up against a left-armer, again?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I would argue that if we end up looking back on his career and thinking, "but there could have been so much more..." then he'll qualify as a disappointment, no matter how many Test centuries he's made (particularly so given that isn't a landmark of any prestige in English history: I'm a stats geek and a cricket tragic and I couldn't tell you who holds it at the present with any certainty - off the top of my head it's 22 and probably Gooch or Cowdrey).
Cowdrey jointly with Boycott and Hammond on 22. Cook, Pietersen and Strauss have 19, Bell 16. I don't know why, I've been looking at that record for ages. I think they'd all like to get there first. :)

Last edited: