• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Luke Ronchi to NZ

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Averaged near 40 in first class cricket until two seasons ago. Very good cricketer when in form and New Zealand are fortunate to have the depth he will provide.
Then what happened to him - he averages around 32 now?

I am trying to translate an Australian FC average into what he will average over here. If he used to average 40 this makes it even tougher.

Anyways we all expect him to do way better than 32.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still a good level or two above NZ domestic cricket.

Not to mention the sorts of pitches that have been prepared over the last two seasons.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach

Not to mention the sorts of pitches that have been prepared over the last two seasons.
He's definitely a good bat, but I doubt he'll start scoring straight off. Gotta adjust to the conditions and the different types of bowlers in NZ domestix.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I'd like to see your research on this. :cool:

All the "He's Australian so he should walk into the NZ team" bull**** is pretty lame really. You can't really compare what he has done in Australia to how he will go in NZ.

But you know how you can compare?

Wait until he plays a season of NZ domestic cricket before you start proposing him as the best NZ player ever!!!!!

Maybe I suffer from Little Brother syndrome, but Big Brothers can be real patronizing dickheads.

Mike5181

International Captain
Batting-wise the australian domestic scene is quite a bit stronger. I'd say he would still find it hard against some of the bowling attacks

ND- Boult, Southee, Vettori, Arnel, Aldrige etc.
Auckland- Martin, Bates, Adams etc
Otago- Wagner, McSkimming along with guys like Butler

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Would NZ select him? What with him having already played for yer crims?

Would guess Wessells was the last chap to play for test nations in full internationals.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well, Brownlie almost walked into our team. Then batted well against the best of Aussies best (who weren't injured) and we stole a game off them. Superior level indeed :ph34r:

Zinzan

I would have agreed wholeheartedly on that point 5 or so years ago, but I hate to break it to you, the standard of Australia domestic cricket isn't as great these days as you'd like to make out & it's not all that much better than NZ, hence why we just drew 1-1 in the recent test series (in you backyard) - remember?

BeeGee

International Captain
Well, Brownlie almost walked into our team. Then batted well against the best of Aussies best (who weren't injured) and we stole a game off them. Superior level indeed :ph34r:
Brownlie did well in Zimbabwe and Australia, but he needs to put up some good performances against decent opposition before his place in the NZ Test team is truly secure.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Play and played against a number of former/current NZ first class players.

Let's just say that calling them first class cricketers is a grave injustice.

benchmark00

I would have agreed wholeheartedly on that point 5 or so years ago, but I hate to break it to you, the standard of Australia domestic cricket isn't as great these days as you'd like to make out & it's not all that much better than NZ, hence why we just drew 1-1 in the recent test series (in you backyard) - remember?
The fact that you're over the moon with a 1-1 result tells a story.

Zinzan

The fact that you're over the moon with a 1-1 result tells a story.
Nah, the point simply illustrates the gap between NZ & Australia right now isn't as big as you'd like to think. Maybe your 3rd tier players would have waltzed into the NZ team in the mid 2000s, but I'm not sure they would these days.

morgieb

Nah, the point simply illustrates the gap between NZ & Australia right now isn't as big as you'd like to think. Maybe your 3rd tier players would have waltzed into the NZ team in the mid 2000s, but I'm not sure they would these days.
Dean Brownlie?