• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From this point, I actually think it's more interesting to see if I rate Steyn ahead of McGrath by the time he retires. I doubt it, but it's certainly possible.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't see him getting there myself, but it's all subjective, so may see it that way.

SFB

Cricket Spectator
Donald, forever and always. He IMO was the complete package as a bowler (furious pace, raw fury [attitude], line and length). Steyn always seems to be putting it on when he tries to verbal batsmen; Donald on the other hand used to roar at batsmen and team mate alike. His reaction to Boucher dropping Atherton during their infamous duel in '98 never fails to cheer me up on a bad day.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Donald, forever and always. He IMO was the complete package as a bowler (furious pace, raw fury [attitude], line and length). Steyn always seems to be putting it on when he tries to verbal batsmen; Donald on the other hand used to roar at batsmen and team mate alike. His reaction to Boucher dropping Atherton during their infamous duel in '98 never fails to cheer me up on a bad day.
So verballing batsmen = better bowler?

Days of Grace

International Captain
Getting sick of this. How much does Steyn have to do to overtake Donald in some poster's eyes?

800 wickets at 18 at 7 wickets per match enough?

No, because Donald came first and I watched him in my childhood.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting sick of this. How much does Steyn have to do to overtake Donald in some poster's eyes?

That would be pretty coolthough.

Seriously though, it's all up to everyone's different criteria, and how they view different factors like strength of opposition, agression ect.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Through no fault of Steyn's, Donald bowled at significantly better batting line ups.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes He did, which is why the answer of you is better really is not as clear cut to all as some others might think.

Flem274*

123/5
Cricket is the only sport where fans can claim with a straight face the standard is getting progressively worse and be taken seriously.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Only one man could take 7 wickets per match, and he will never be equalled.

Donald was the best bowler in the last 20 years
:laugh: Never heard of McGrath, Akram and Ambrose? Not to mention two of the greatest spinners to ever play the game, but, thats apples and oranges.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Through no fault of Steyn's, Donald bowled at significantly better batting line ups.
Rubbish. The only team whose batting was "significantly better," as you put it, was Australia's, and even then the lineup of 2008/09 which Steyn bowled to was not that much poorer than the 90s lineups that Donald bowled at, and largely failed against.

England much better in the Steyn-era. Sri Lanka, India, West Indies largely the same; New Zealand slightly weaker.

Couple that with the pitches being better for batting and the teammates he is competing for wickets with, and you will come to the conclusion that Steyn is better.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Cricket is the only sport where fans can claim with a straight face the standard is getting progressively worse and be taken seriously.
I think the standard of cricket, particularly batsmanship, remains the same throughout eras.

If you magically put Trumper, McCabe, Harvey, Steve Waugh and Clarke in to each others eras, against each eras opposition, with time to adapt to fitness levels and pitch variance, they would all average a similar amount to each other.

However, my comment was merely that when Donald started his career, there were a number of batting line ups in the world that are stronger than the ones Steyn has bowled at recently.

Last edited: