• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Donald
Atherton (11), MWaugh (10), Stewart (9), Anwar (7), Ramprakash, Hick, Lara (6), Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Slater, Jayasuriya, Hussian (5)

Steyn
Hafeez (8), Sehwag, Clarke, Hussey, Trott (7), McCullum (6), Younis Khan, Katich (5)
Interesting perspective.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn's been past Donald for a little while now with Pollock in 3rd, for mine.
I'd disagree but I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong. Reasonable minds can differ.

I have AD ahead, especially as we have the downside of his career included to analyze. I also loved watching Donald so that certainly plays a part.

I have not looked but I would also guess that AD did better against England than Aus and Steyn is the reverse so that plays into perceptions.

There is no doubt that it plays a role in my opinion that Donald was brilliant against England and Steyn has not quite hit those standards.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I'd disagree but I'm not saying I am right and you are wrong. Reasonable minds can differ.

I have AD ahead, especially as we have the downside of his career included to analyze. I also loved watching Donald so that certainly plays a part.

I have not looked but I would also guess that AD did better against England than Aus and Steyn is the reverse so that plays into perceptions.

There is no doubt that it plays a role in my opinion that Donald was brilliant against England and Steyn has not quite hit those standards.
Pretty much.

Against Australia:
Donald: 14 matches 53 wickets @31
Steyn: 11 matches 57 wickets @27

Against England:
Donald: 17 matches 86 wickets @23
Steyn: 11 matches 46 wickets @32

akilana

International 12th Man
Pretty much.

Against Australia:
Donald: 14 matches 53 wickets @31
Steyn: 11 matches 57 wickets @27

Against England:
Donald: 17 matches 86 wickets @23
Steyn: 11 matches 46 wickets @32
Imo, Steyn's record against England needs to be seen in context as last time was the only time he played a full series against England.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is there any series better understood without context?

The ones where you liked the stats, presumably.

Satyanash89

Banned
I think whats more important is that in Donald's time, Australia's batting was way more powerful than it is now... vice versa for England's. Thats the only thing that could really explain those slightly high averages.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Imo, Steyn's record against England needs to be seen in context as last time was the only time he played a full series against England.
Steyn averaged 29 though.

The point about England vs Australia batsmen at different times makes a lot of sense. Who was England's best batsman during Donald's time? Thorpe?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Steyn's overtaken Donald ever so slightly IMO, just in the last series or two. It'd been obvious to me for a little while that it was likely he would eventually do it in my estimation but I think I'd now be happy enough, if Steyn retired now, to put him ahead of Donald, ever so slightly. My earlier posts in this thread from 2010 or whenever it was started actually ranked Pollock ahead of Donald which is something I don't even quite remember myself thinking, but there you go. I'd have him marginally behind now as a bowler, but still comfortably ahead as the best cricketer of the three.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Are you saying he's done anything different in the last year to make a difference, or you were just waiting for him to keep up the goods past the 300 mark?

As far as I can tell we've all pretty much been saying "well yeah... it's Steyn" when he does something gun now, rather than thinking he's breaking new ground. I think the 2010 he had, when he went pretty much all over the world and took bags against all of the top sides really showed he's got everything he needs, and it was just a case of waiting for the figures to roll in.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are you saying he's done anything different in the last year to make a difference, or you were just waiting for him to keep up the goods past the 300 mark?

As far as I can tell we've all pretty much been saying "well yeah... it's Steyn" when he does something gun now, rather than thinking he's breaking new ground. I think the 2010 he had, when he went pretty much all over the world and took bags against all of the top sides really showed he's got everything he needs, and it was just a case of waiting for the figures to roll in.
It was just a longevity thing for me really. You have to draw the line in the sand somewhere; I think he's passed it now. I don't think he's bowling better than he was before but he's maintained it for long enough now that if he retired tomorrow I'd put him ahead of Donald by a whisker. if he retired a year ago I'd have Donald ahead by a whisker. Realistically I see them basically as equals but Steyn is unlikely to retire any time soon anyway so there's an excellent chance I'll have him conclusively ahead by then.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So who are the all time great fast bowlers still ahead of Steyn in people's estimation ?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So who are the all time great fast bowlers still ahead of Steyn in people's estimation ?
I could have just taken Donald or Steyn in the clause draft using the same clause. I took Donald. So I guess I still rate Donald slightly ahead of Steyn.

That said, there's nothing to split them as bowlers in my opinion. They sit in the very top tier of modern quick bowlers imo. Lillee, Marshall, Ambrose, Donald, Steyn, Waqar, Wasim, Imran etc etc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Steyn's overtaken Donald ever so slightly IMO, just in the last series or two. It'd been obvious to me for a little while that it was likely he would eventually do it in my estimation but I think I'd now be happy enough, if Steyn retired now, to put him ahead of Donald, ever so slightly. My earlier posts in this thread from 2010 or whenever it was started actually ranked Pollock ahead of Donald which is something I don't even quite remember myself thinking, but there you go. I'd have him marginally behind now as a bowler, but still comfortably ahead as the best cricketer of the three.
Was only this time last year, FTR. In fact, it feels much more recent to me than that. Few months ago recent, in fact.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Was only this time last year, FTR. In fact, it feels much more recent to me than that. Few months ago recent, in fact.
Well a few months ago I still had Donald slightly ahead of Steyn. I can't remember deciding I thought Pollock was better than them on bowling alone though. I was probably just being a bit biased; love me some Shaun Pollock.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Pollock really is an under rated cricketer, but a slighly over rated bowler. As a bowler alone, not quite in the same class as the other two.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
At a time when he had taken about 300 wickets, Pollock had the best bowling average for any bowler with more than 200 wickets in test history. That's no mean feet. He did go down considerably in latter 1/3rd of his career and I agree that he is in sum below Donald and Steyn but he must have been doing something right in the first 2/3rd of his career to outperform Donald statistically. Don't remember that he was getting that kind of credit even at that stage. Why was that?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Perception at the time I remember was that he bullied **** batting line-ups. Even in the series against Australia where he took 7 in Adelaide, was arse in the live matches when it mattered.

Last edited: