• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, but it's only an issue because we have speedos.

Not like the greats of the past didn't spend time bowling within themselves, just that we didn't necessarily know about it.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Steyn bowls within himself with the new ball because at that speed he has complete and utter control of the extreme late outswinger he bowls. Why compromise that control for a quicker speed when his stock delivery is completely unplayable and destroys batting lineups. He can crank it up when he wants and generally does with the old ball.

I have never seen anyone else with as much precision and control over the outswinger than Steyn and McGrath, but Steyn swings it more and so late as well.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I guess you have to ask Malcolm Marshall the same thing. He averaged 27.
Yes indeed. I also subscribe to the view that a cricketer should be judged by their test performances. Yet at times I have to ask the question if there should be additional credit for good ODI record. Two formats require different skills and those who demonstrate both set of skills are perhaps more versatile sportsmen. That's the thing about the great fast bowlers of 90's and early naughties. They aced both formats.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Its funny, reading some recent posts in this thread, when a short while ago there was a thread asking if he was the worst best fast bowler in test history.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Yes indeed. I also subscribe to the view that a cricketer should be judged by their test performances. Yet at times I have to ask the question if there should be additional credit for good ODI record. Two formats require different skills and those who demonstrate both set of skills are perhaps more versatile sportsmen. That's the thing about the great fast bowlers of 90's and early naughties. They aced both formats.
My theory is that white ball doesn't swing as much so bowlers who rely on movement instead of bounce will struggle. That is unless they have an incredible slower ball and/or yorker. Steyn doesn't those tools in his pocket.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I guess you have to ask Malcolm Marshall the same thing. He averaged 27.
Both he and Steyn were/are reasonably short for fast bowlers. I've always viewed skidier bowlers to be easier to hit in ODI's. On the other hand, tall guys like Garner and Morkel are much harder to hit.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ecellent point. Lillee also depended pretty heavily on his cordon, what are his odi stats like?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I was just expanding the possible scope of an interesting hypothesis.

Found it insightful.

FBU

International Debutant
Donald
Atherton (11), MWaugh (10), Stewart (9), Anwar (7), Ramprakash, Hick, Lara (6), Tendulkar, Azharuddin, Slater, Jayasuriya, Hussian (5)

Steyn
Hafeez (8), Sehwag, Clarke, Hussey, Trott (7), McCullum (6), Younis Khan, Katich (5)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lillee had one of the best cordons ever as well, with Ian Chappell, Greg Chappell, Walters (and Mallett in the gully)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Both he and Steyn were/are reasonably short for fast bowlers. I've always viewed skidier bowlers to be easier to hit in ODI's. On the other hand, tall guys like Garner and Morkel are much harder to hit.
Steyn not really known for his yorker either.

There's also the fact that Steyn doesn't play very much of it, and gets rested very regularly from ODI cricket.