• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dale Steyn vs Allan Donald vs Shaun Pollock

Who is the better bowler?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I assumed the OP was just talking about their bowling, given he only put up those figures. If he is talking about both then yeah Pollock is the clear winner.
Yeah; the poll asks who the better bowler is. It's Pollock for me regardless but I thought I'd plug his batting a little bit while I made the post. :p

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
White Lightning. Phenomenal bowler, up there with the very best of all time.

Massive respect for the other two as well, but prime Donald was a sight for sore eyes.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Not a fair comparison until Steyn completes his career.

Who knows, in 10 years time it might be Steyn v Donald v Pollock v Philander.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Growing up i used to watch Donald tearing it up with Raw pace. Intimidating the opposition. But in the Dale Steyn era, when he is on song he is unplayable. Tendulkar,dravid, laxma,Vaughn,Pujara can all attest to what he has done. Its just not pace that makes him a threat, but add the late swing and you have the best fastbowling one trick pony i have seen. Destroyed Pakistan and India in their own hoods. ATG material i dare say.

Debris

International 12th Man
Then don't post in the thread if you feel that way.
No offence meant. Just that after voting and saying who your favourite is, there is not much more to say. Not all threads need to be 50 pages long to be worthwhile.

Briony

International Debutant
Donald had a great action and more height on Steyn but the latter has destroyed India a couple of times in their conditions which doesn't happen that often. His late swing can be deadly and he is an attacking bowler. Pollock seemed to be bedevilled by injury a bit and I can recall he was quite pedestrian for the last four or so years of his career but he's the best cricketing package of the trio.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Growing up i used to watch Donald tearing it up with Raw pace. Intimidating the opposition. But in the Dale Steyn era, when he is on song he is unplayable. Tendulkar,dravid, laxma,Vaughn,Pujara can all attest to what he has done. Its just not pace that makes him a threat, but add the late swing and you have the best fastbowling one trick pony i have seen. Destroyed Pakistan and India in their own hoods. ATG material i dare say.
Yeah coz he can't reverse swing it, bowl a deceptive scrambled seam ball or crank up his pace to mid-high 140's or bowl bouncers or anything

Edit: Oh yay the date is Feb 2012 not Feb 2013. Haha. Googled my way here. How's Steyn tracking vs AD after 1 more year now ;)

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
He's gone past Donald's wicket tally now and id still have him about level with him. Just a personal preference, i just like bowlers who swing it both ways consistently. Steyn does have an inswinger (bowled a couple of crackerjacks in his 7 for at Nagpur iirc) but he rarely brings it out these days. Seems to instead prefer the in seamer without actually swinging it in too much.

By the time he retires, barring some ridiculous collapse in form, he'll probably be South Africa's greatest bowler ever.
That said Philander is getting truly ridiculous now and he will most definitely be up there with the greatest too.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh, I don't see how anyone could find Pollock attractive.

What other SA bowlers do people rank better than Steyn?

Slifer

International Captain
Damn these South Africans just keep producing world class fast men one after the other from DeVilliers to Donald to Pollock to Steyn to Philander (not to forget B Schultz and what he couldve been). Wish we (the WI) could kick it back into gear again.

sobers no:1

Banned
donald
2nd greatest bowler of last 25yrs IMO (1.akram)
slightly better than ambros,mcgrath >murali>waquar, warne > steyn
pollock is a level below